Chit Chat
Options

TLC show- 90 day fiance

Has anyone seen this? It follows 6 couples, all of which one person is from another country and here on a K-1 Visa which means they have to get married within 90 days or they are deported. (They all applied for this after being in a long distance relationship and being engaged, it's not like they just showed up here and are spouse hunting). So the couples live together and have to decide by the deadline if they want to get married or break up.

So 3 of the couples appear super genuinely in love. You can tell by their body language, how they interact and speak to each other that they are really in love. And then there are 3 couples that you can tell are in it for the "green card". I could be wrong, that's just my speculation but the way they interact really doesn't seem like love at all on the part of the foreigner.

On last night's episode, the cutest couple that I actually think are the most genuine announced it to his family at a bbq. His mom, brothers, and brothers' wives all freaked out and was asking the FI directly to her face if she was in it for the green card, and what is she going to do for work, and all this very unsupportive stuff. Not once did they say congrats and the guy was so diappointed he took FI and left the party. Now I agree, if my brother was in this situation I'd be a bit skeptical, I mean who wouldn't. But I would give the benefit of the doubt and get to know the girl before I immediately started shit like that. What about you?

Re: TLC show- 90 day fiance

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    I've seen the first episode and I thought it was pretty strange. I agree, a few of the couples don't even seem to like each other. In one of the couples, the American lady seems really happy but then the foreign guy she's with kind of seems to hate her. And then there's an American guy who seems like a total pushover, and his foreign lady is mean mean mean. In a 2 minute span she insulted the engagement ring he'd given her and said she needs to take it to a jeweler to ensure it's a real diamond, accusing him of trying to trick her with a fake diamond, and then she complained about the wine he bought her. I felt so bad for that guy. 

ETF: words 
  • Options
    I've seen the first episode and I thought it was pretty strange. I agree, a few of the couples don't even seem to like each other. In one of the couples, the American lady seems really happy but then the foreign guy she's with kind of seems to hate her. And then there's an American guy who seems like a total pushover, and his foreign lady is mean mean mean. In a 2 minute span she insulted the engagement ring he'd given her and said she needs to take it to a jeweler to ensure it's a real diamond, accusing him of trying to trick her with a fake diamond, and then she complained about the wine he bought her. I felt so bad for that guy. 

ETF: words 
    She also complained that the BEAUTIFUL bouqet he brought when he picked her up from the airport wasn't all roses.  She's horrible and I feel so bad that he's obviously getting played.  Poor guy
  • Options
    I saw that episode. It seemed like his family was upset because this was the first time they were even hearing about this woman, let alone meeting her and then finding out they're engaged. I'd be pretty shocked too. 

All of these people seem like opportunists, using their SOs for a green card. Especially the young guy with the older American woman. I feel bad for her. 
  • Options
    I caught one episode and really felt bad for the older lady with the young foreign guy and the guy with the lady who insulted the bouquet. I think it is really apparent that those two are just in it for the green card.

That girl was so mean to him when he picked her up at the airport, and wouldn't even give him a hug. That is the man you are going to marry and you won't hug him when you see him for the first time in a while? And the way she speaks to him is just awful. I couldn't watch anymore.
  • Options
    I haven't seen it, but when I heard about it I thought, even if some of the couples are genuine, I'll bet they're partially doing the reality show in the hopes that TLC will pay their fees one way or another. It is dang expensive to marry someone from overseas in the States. My ex was from overseas and one lawyer I talked to back when I had the "brilliant" idea to marry him told me it would cost around $20,000.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I just don't understand this show.

Granted, I've never seen it, but if these were truly long term in-love couples...the show would be pretty boring. "Oh yay my Visa was approved. Well time to continue the planning that we've already been doing..."

I mean, these people should already be engaged, so I don't understand why nobody would know about them.
  • Options
    Sounds like they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for reality TV these days, eh? I'm with @JennyColada that I just don't get it. 
  • Options
    I caught one episode and really felt bad for the older lady with the young foreign guy and the guy with the lady who insulted the bouquet. I think it is really apparent that those two are just in it for the green card. That girl was so mean to him when he picked her up at the airport, and wouldn't even give him a hug. That is the man you are going to marry and you won't hug him when you see him for the first time in a while? And the way she speaks to him is just awful. I couldn't watch anymore.
    Yes! The girl that was pissed about the flowers! WTF?
  • Options
    I just don't understand this show. Granted, I've never seen it, but if these were truly long term in-love couples...the show would be pretty boring. "Oh yay my Visa was approved. Well time to continue the planning that we've already been doing..." I mean, these people should already be engaged, so I don't understand why nobody would know about them.

Me too! I watch but I also don't get it....like for all of them it's their first time to America but the American has visited them in their country. It's bizarre because I'm like why did you get the K-1 visa then...and not just "come visit" on a normal Visa? The first time visiting this country should not be the time you are moving here to spend the rest of your life with this person.

Like one girl has been living down in Nicaragua with her fiance and they seem genuine because of that. Their story seems more like how will he adjust to life here not speaking English, rather than will thier relationship work.

• Options
    I mean, anything on TV is fortified to meet the viewers palate. So even though these might be real people in this scenario, I guarantee they're interviewed and coached to be ridiculous human beings because that's what sells. 

MAN I'm glad I ditched cable. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Sounds like they're trying to create a false ticking clock to make the premise sound more exciting than it is. I mean, you might start to have trouble traveling from one country to the other if you're doing it very often and it starts to look like you don't have anything anchoring you to your home country, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've seen a few episodes but I don't really know what to think of it.  

I keep an open mind with long distance internet relationships.  One of my canadian friends married a swedish man and now lives with him in sweden.  If it wasn't for the internet, they never would have met.

I understand when families get suspicious but some of them are downright rude.  Then again, I get suspicious of the authenticity of reality TV...so who knows how real or fake these scenarios are.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I think you're mostly talking about last week's episode... Have you seen Cassia?  She seems even worse than Daya!

Cassia did bring up a good point in this week's episode though - would you move to Brazil if I don't like it here?  I bet none of them would.

I agree that Chelsea & Yamir (Nicaragua) seems the most genuine, but he DEFINITELY gave up the most coming here!  Yes, running water is important, but I think they could have waited and had a better plan before he had to leave his pop star career!

Justin's family was tough on his fiance, but did you see when he brought her home???? He told her to clean the kitchen because he had to watch the game!!! And he was all "well I wanted a wife, that's what she needs to do."

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    luckya23 said:

I think you're mostly talking about last week's episode... Have you seen Cassia?  She seems even worse than Daya!

Cassia did bring up a good point in this week's episode though - would you move to Brazil if I don't like it here?  I bet none of them would.

I agree that Chelsea & Yamir (Nicaragua) seems the most genuine, but he DEFINITELY gave up the most coming here!  Yes, running water is important, but I think they could have waited and had a better plan before he had to leave his pop star career!

Justin's family was tough on his fiance, but did you see when he brought her home???? He told her to clean the kitchen because he had to watch the game!!! And he was all "well I wanted a wife, that's what she needs to do."

Cassia is such a witch! She was like "I guess he's kind of attractive even though he's chubby and needs a diet". Like WTF you say that about someone you're supposedly in love with? Then she said she wants to do bikini modeling....it's very clear there that she thinks he is the meal ticket to her becoming the next Giselle.

I agree that none of them (except Chelsea) would really move to the other countries. But that's not really the same because they wouldn't have the same opportunities there. If you spend $50,000 on college here to have a great job here then I can see not throwing that away to live in a place where those job opportunities don't exist.

No- I totally missed that part with Justin & Evelin! That is pretty messed up! And it is weird that he didn't tell his family about her before. The other couples have all been open with their families right from the start that they were even dating this person.

• Options
    I saw this for the first time last night and I didn't know what to think. I mean, of course with reality TV it's always hard to distinguish what percentage of it is actually, well, reality...but the Moroccan man, the Brazilian woman, and the Filipina woman don't even seem like they're decent actors, much less remotely genuine in their feelings for their partners.

I hope that it's very, very staged because otherwise my heart kinda broke for them. It was hard to watch. I feel so bad for all three of the aforementioned US partners.

Honestly, though, I think the most painful one for me to watch is the South African girl and her partner. They are SO YOUNG, he (and possibly she) seem nowhere near ready for marriage, and the poor girl is so lonely. I just want to get that girl back on a plane to Cape Town and her mother. Everything about that situation is wrong.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've only seethe first episode.  But, I can't believe the Nicaraguan guy is actually leaving everything cos she wants hot water.  Really??  He was right in saying that he was a King/on top in Nicaragua and in the US he will be nobody.  That's a lot to throw away.  

Chick with the flowers is a total bitch.  Wow.  How ungrateful, and I think he's getting taken advantage of.  

The guy with the GF from Colombia, totally rubs me the wrong way.  HIs comments and actions make me thing he's going to treat her like shit (welcome home, let's get naked, I'm gonna watch football.  Here's the laundry, vacuum and dish soap, etc.).  She already wasn't happy, so we'll see if she has a backbone.  

Older ginger and African guy is getting taken, IMO.  She's paid for everything and he even said her looks are ok to him.  They just don't mesh in my mind, age, appearance, everything.  And she needs to calm the fuck down.  If he didn't make the plane, he'll grab the next one.  More drama than the last season though, I think.  

• Options
    I watched last season and the first episode of this season. I have the rest sitting on my DVR. I find the show interesting but can always find something better to watch than the recordings. We'll see if they get seen.

A lot of the folks make me sad. Either they're complete assholes or they are so lonely and desperate for love that they'll accept even those relationships that are clearly not in their best interest. Based on the first episode I saw, the woman with the teens with the (Moroccan? I can't remember) fiance started to break my heart.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Justin is sketchy. He thinks weddings should be private, just the bride and groom, and he didn't tell his family he was engaged? red flag.
  • Options
    Justin is sketchy. He thinks weddings should be private, just the bride and groom, and he didn't tell his family he was engaged? red flag.
    I got the impression he was just trying to avoid confrontation with that totally crazy sister-in-law of his, personally.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    I got the impression he was just trying to avoid confrontation with that totally crazy sister-in-law of his, personally.
    Yeah, that's also what I thought. He even said something about how crazy she was when he and FI had lunch with his friend.

I don't mind Justin. A little douchey, but they seem to genuinely love each other. Actually, those two and Chelsea and Yamir are the only couples who seem to truly care about each other. To a degree, I guess Danny and Amy do too, but they just seem too young and immature to get married.

• Options
    I keep forgetting this show is on!  I caught a marathon showing while I was traveling for work and the craziness that was last season got me really curious.  The mom in Ohio breaks my heart.  I just don't know how that relationship can work will all the mismatch in age and life experience.

I'm sort of rooting for Chelsea and Yamir though.  Despite being younger, they seem to understand more about where the other person is from and how things might change for them.
    Anniversary

• Options

I think I've missed at least one episode, but I'm weirdly intrigued with the show. I think there are a few who seem legit, but I'm really more curious if the other ones will clue in to the fact that they're being used.

Justin and the Colombian girl (Evelyn?) and Chelsea and Yamir seem like they have real loving relationships (I feel like Justin's comments about the kitchen and football were sort of staged, and SIL seems pretty awful), and the young couple with the girl from South Africa seem sort of okay? But they clearly did not think through her living situation very well before she moved!

I didn't see the episode where the Brazilian girl shows up, but she sounds like a peach.

The other 2 couples though...I really hope that the American half of those couples clues in quick time. They both sort of break my heart because they are obviously being used for a green card. Daya is horrible, 95% of what she says is rude and she doesn't seem to give a shit about the guy...and he's just thinking everything is awesome. And the older woman with the guy from Tunisia (I think?) is just so sad. And overly emotional and invested. I can hardly watch them to be honest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've never heard of it. I wonder if it's on hulu.

• Options
    Ok, I'm caught up.  Holy shit, some of these people are getting taken to the cleaners compared to last season.  

• Options
    I don't watch, but I have seen the commercials and have read enough to know who's who.

Can someone please tell me what was up with Chelsea's redneck, racist mother (grandmother?) telling her fiance that, "The packin' plant hires a lot of luh-teen-OES?"

I have tried to spell that how she pronounced it. Grr.

Isn't he a celebrity where he's from? Did she even know what sort of education he had before she assumed that unskilled labor was the best he could do because he's brown?

It was just a commercial and I flipped my sh*t and was yelling at the television. lol
  • Options
    I don't watch, but I have seen the commercials and have read enough to know who's who.

Can someone please tell me what was up with Chelsea's redneck, racist mother (grandmother?) telling her fiance that, "The packin' plant hires a lot of luh-teen-OES?"

Isn't he a celebrity where he's from? Did she even know what sort of education he had before she assumed that unskilled labor was the best he could do because he's brown?

It was just a commercial and I flipped my sh*t and was yelling at the television. lol
    The issue is that he can't speak english, and thus will have trouble finding a job.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    luckya23 said:

The issue is that he can't speak english, and thus will have trouble finding a job.
    Yea I also didn't have a problem with that comment because I took it as "You can make some money at this place and make friends who speak your language while you are figuring out your bigger plan"

• Options
    Did anyone watch the finale and the tell all? I got so addicted to this show! 

Cassia grew on me. I think it was messed up that Jason left her in Vegas by herself. But they actually do seem happy. 

I feel bad for Danielle but feel even worse for her daughters. How can she not see that Mohammed is using her?? She can't afford to pay her electric bill, but she had money to fly him over from Tunisia? 
    And I wish the other cast members would have called him out on his shit. 
  • Options
    PVR'd for today maybe.  Danielle killed me.  Girl needs to get a grip before she has another breakdown cos Mohammed went out for groceries and took the long way home*

*Yes, I think he's an ass too, but that girl cries over everything.  

As much as i thought Chelsea and singer guy were good together, she annoyed me.  "I want to live in the US cos sometimes there's no hot water here".  He gives up his dream and what seems like a pretty good start to a career and then she won't even move 3 hours from her family to Chicago so he can pursue it??  Not cool

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards