Registry and Gift Forum

Down Payment Registry

Hi All

i have heard of people doing honeymoon registries as well as down payment (for a house) registries. My fiance and I have discussed setting up a House fund somewhere, any advice? I know there are websites that facilitate it but they take a pretty hefty percentage. anyone have any luck with using a bank? any info would be great, thanks!

Tara

Re: Down Payment Registry

• Hi All

i have heard of people doing honeymoon registries as well as down payment (for a house) registries. My fiance and I have discussed setting up a House fund somewhere, any advice? I know there are websites that facilitate it but they take a pretty hefty percentage. anyone have any luck with using a bank? any info would be great, thanks!

Tara
    Using a service like this is the equivalent of asking for cash which is never appropriate.

Your best bet is to not register at all and when people ask where you're registered, say "we aren't registered anywhere but we're currently saving up for a house" and they'll get the hint. Everyone knows that people love to receive cash, they don't need to be asked to open their wallets.

Check out the sticky on Honeyfunds - replace honeymoon registry with down payment registry - since they're almost the same thing, and you'll see why these are looked down upon etiquette-wise.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Please don't do this.  Registering for money is outrageously rude and crass.  

Plus, why would you want to give a percentage of your cash gifts to some company?  
  • Ditch the cash registry idea. They are extremely rude. Do you seriously think people want to pay for YOUR house?! 

People already know that cash is a great gift and they will give it if they want to. They don't need you asking for it.

Either don't registry or do a real small registry and people will get the hint.
  • Step 1: Don't register.
    Step 2: If anyone asks where you are registered, you just say "Oh, we didn't register.  We have everything we need for our home right now.  We are saving up for a house."
    Step 3: When people give you cash and checks, go take them to your bank and deposit them into your account.

You don't need a website and you don't need your bank to set up something special.  Good ol' fashioned cash and checks still work and you can deposit them into your own account.
  • Skip it. Even having a registry, nearly all of our actual wedding gifts were cash. (Registry gifts were given at the showers.) At the wedding itself, out of ~100 gifts, we got 2 registry gifts, 3 off-registry gifts, and the rest cash. No need to insult people by asking for it.

• This is tacky. Please don't do it. 
  • Ditto the PPs. These companies skim off the top of your guests gift. Why would you want to give some random company 3% of every gift? No thanks. Have a small gift registry (or none at all) and let that do the talking for you. Most people will pick up that you'll want money instead of a gift. 

• We did not register - anywhere. Everyone knows cash is always appropriate, appreciated and often preferred - literally everyone on earth knows this. =o) 

Some people will want to get you a physical gift - these are not the people who use HM/cash/down payment registries. The people who use HM/cash/down payment registries are people who would give you a check, but instead think that you will receive the FULL amount they gift you. You you will ACTUALLY receive that massage, not a credit on your bill and if you decide you can get the massage or take the excursion. 

But I have good news :) 
    For our wedding the gifts broke down like this: 75% cash or check, 20% gift cards and 5% physical gifts. 
    If you want money or don't need anything don't register. This is the best way to politely suggest folks give you money. I'm telling you from experience ;-) 
     A HM/cash/down payment is not polite, sorry. There is nothing wrong with saying, when asked where you are registered, we are saving up for the honeymoon (or house or big screen TV or whatever it is you'd like to purchase). GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Don't do this. If you have every single household item you need or want (including upgrades), then simply don't register. People will be smart enough to give cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards