Registry and Gift Forum

Toilet Paper? Blu Ray/DVD sets?

I have heard stories of people putting these things on registries. Laundry Detergent, stuff like that. Is this okay? What is over doing it? I'm asking because my hubby and I are moving into our first place together and we are doing a list of what we will need for the apartment. Although I KNOW we will need some of these things/want some of these things, is it appropriate? 

Re: Toilet Paper? Blu Ray/DVD sets?

• If you can put it on your bi-weekly or monthly food shopping list then it shouldn't go on your registry.

• I think I read somewhere that one of the Duggar girls registered for cereal and whatnot.  But she also invited 1,000 people to her wedding, so at some point you run out of ideas of what to register for.  

If I was your friend and decided to buy you the laundry hamper and mesh lingerie bag from your registry, I might also include some laundry soap and fabric dryer sheets.  But I don't think you should register for them.
  • The purpose of registries is to help a couple begin their new lives together, to help give an idea of your taste in patterns and colors, and avoid receiving duplicate items so registering for grocery items doesn't really fall in line with that.

If I saw a couple registered for soap or food, I'd think, "gee, they really don't know how to maintain a household budget like an adult" (I'm not saying this applies to you).
    I'd probably buy the couple a Dave Ramsey book instead of laundry detergent bc I'm known to have a bitchy streak like that. As PP said, if a gift giver wants to throw in those little extras to go along with an item (laundry basket and some detergent, or a cute popcorn bowl with a box of popcorn) that's great but it's at the gift giver's discretion.

So to answer your question, just because you may need it, doesn't make it an appropriate registry item.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Also my personal opinion on registering for movies, books, board games, camping gear*, etc. is that it's in bad taste, but that may be an unpopular opinion. I posted a bit of a rant on another thread abt that yesterday.

*Unless you're like the family on Extreme Guide to Parenting that literally camped around the US instead of having a home. I wouldn't side eye that.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Also my personal opinion on registering for movies, books, board games, camping gear*, etc. is that it's in bad taste, but that may be an unpopular opinion. I posted a bit of a rant on another thread abt that yesterday. *Unless you're like the family on Extreme Guide to Parenting that literally camped around the US instead of having a home. I wouldn't side eye that.
    Omfg thank you for reminding me of that show and all of the horrible people on it!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I personally don't mind DVD's, but I will side eye household consumables.

Anniversary
  • If you put your wedding registry side by side with my grocery list and the average person couldn't tell the difference between the two - then you're delving into "inappropriate to put on your wedding registry" territory.

I will side eye certain other items like games, books, or DVDs except for certain conditions.  For instance, if you registered for some financial advice books from Dave Ramsey or maybe a daily devotional book for newlyweds if you're religious or other relationship type book, I wouldn't side-eye, but I'd side-eye you registering for 50 Shades of Grey or chick lit or mystery novels.  If you registered for maybe one or two family type DVDs that might be seen as sort of starting a tradition (like It's a Wonderful Life) or maybe one fun DVD set if it's well known you absolutely love that show/movie then ok, but I'd side eye putting on enough DVDs to start your own Redbox.  If you registered for a couple of board games to play in groups (say at an informal gathering at your house) or a dartboard if you have a gameroom, I wouldn't side-eye it, but I would side-eye games for children or video games.

So basically, a small percentage that can be considered under the "growing as a couple and starting traditions" label or "entertaining others in our home" label would be probably be ok, but still potentially side-eyed.  A large percentage of "fun" stuff starts to look gift-grabby asking me to fund your hobbies rather than help you start your home.
  • No. Use gift cards for that crap. (Note: don't actually register for gift cards, but if you're registered at Target, some people will just give you Target cards.)

• One time I was at Target looking for a specific registry when I stumbled across a couple who registered for a DVD of "Three Amigos." This became a running joke for years with my friends and each holiday someone would get the same unwrapped DVD of "Three Amigos." I would definitely stay away from DVDs, toilet paper, laundry soap, etc. You will probably end up with a Target gift card if you register there, as someone mentioned above. Also, if you get a duplicate gift you could always return it and buy those everyday items with the store credit. If your wedding registry resembles a shopping list for someone who is going away to college for the first time, it is probably best to take a closer look at it. I would think you already buy laundry soap and toilet paper now, right?
  • Nothing disposable should be on your registry. I'm not of the camp that everything has to be some keepsake that you'll have forever, but I don't want you thinking of me each time you use the toilet. 

Some stores like Target and BB&B have been known to have glitches with the registry. So say I go to Target and get your toaster, but I also pick up a pack of tampons on the same transaction, now you're registered for tampons. I suspect that the more embarrassing and outrageous registry stories stemmed from this and joking couples. 
  • I totally don't see anything wrong with registering for camping stuff, AS LONG AS both are avid campers, as FI and I are. 
  • We went for a variety of things from kitchen utensils that we needed to replace to things we would never buy ourselves but love like a wine fridge. We did register for board games because our group of friends we like to rotate turns for game nights & we needed a supply of games for our turn. We also registered for towels, outdoor games for when we have picnics and even a camera. We would have done tools, but Home Depot was too hard to register at, at least the one in our area. As one poster said, if it's something you would put on your normal shopping list, skip it. But if there is a hamper you really like but can't bring yourself to buy due to the price, put it on your registery. If you can use some frames to hang photos up, put them on the registry. You have a favorite show that you both love to watch and has special meaning to you guys & you would like the series on DVD, put it on the registry. Do you love to do a certain activity together that you could use equipment for (camping, fishing, biking, pottery, etc) put it on the registry. Go for what you need to start your home but also the dream things you would love to have but wouldn't spend the money on.
  • I don't see any problem for registering for whatever you want to register for.  If people don't want to buy those things, that's there prerogative.  I personally think it's a bit odd to register for consumables purely because it seems more trouble than it's worth, but if you have guests who are on very tight budgets or you really do want those to be your gifts then ok.  I mean a registry is to show others what you want.  So if that's what you want, ok.  But it wouldn't be my choice.  I see nothing at all wrong with camping stuff, books, movies, games, etc.  My FH and I have both lived independently for many years and together for several as well so if it's housewares related and we need it, we have it.  There's many a dozen or so typical items at most that I was able to come up with that I would be ok with putting on a registry.  Even with our small wedding this isn't enough.  We have a decent amount of space but certainly none to spare and we want to live simply so the last thing we want is a bunch of gizmos we don't need and will probably get rid of within the year.  So for those in our position I saw think outside the box.  People want to know what you want, so let them know!
  • I don't see any problem for registering for whatever you want to register for.  If people don't want to buy those things, that's there prerogative.  I personally think it's a bit odd to register for consumables purely because it seems more trouble than it's worth, but if you have guests who are on very tight budgets or you really do want those to be your gifts then ok.  I mean a registry is to show others what you want.  So if that's what you want, ok.  But it wouldn't be my choice.  I see nothing at all wrong with camping stuff, books, movies, games, etc.  My FH and I have both lived independently for many years and together for several as well so if it's housewares related and we need it, we have it.  There's many a dozen or so typical items at most that I was able to come up with that I would be ok with putting on a registry.  Even with our small wedding this isn't enough.  We have a decent amount of space but certainly none to spare and we want to live simply so the last thing we want is a bunch of gizmos we don't need and will probably get rid of within the year.  So for those in our position I saw think outside the box.  People want to know what you want, so let them know!
    Stop giving bad advice. A wedding registry isn't intended to be a grocery list of all the things you want; it's a guide to let people know your style (china pattern, dish towel color, etc.) and to prevent duplicates. If you don't need any non-consumable gifts, don't register at all and people will give you cash which you are free to spend on whatever the hell you want.

• Generally, it's weird/off-putting to see grocery items on a registry list. That said, I don't side-eye if it's technically a "grocery" item, but goes with another specific item on your registry: a type of cleaner specifically for the cookware you registered for, some fun-flavored k-cups. I've seen friends register for gift baskets on their baby registries of baby soaps and lotions and I've bought them.
  • Aray82 said:

Generally, it's weird/off-putting to see grocery items on a registry list. That said, I don't side-eye if it's technically a "grocery" item, but goes with another specific item on your registry: a type of cleaner specifically for the cookware you registered for, some fun-flavored k-cups. I've seen friends register for gift baskets on their baby registries of baby soaps and lotions and I've bought them.

Baby registries are definitely a different situation - diapers, wipes, lotions, soaps and balms aren't out of place there. And something like cutting board oil wouldn't seem weird to me along with a wooden cutting board... I do still think it's unnecessary though. I generally add those types of things anyway, and others did for our wedding too.

PS anyone buying a waffle iron off a registry should totally add the book "Will it Waffle?" at Amazon.

• my cousin had a 6 pack of beer on hers, a staple gun, a rem of paper. some very out there stuff. i think they only got the staple gun. 
  • I think groceries/detergent/etc. is weird. Please don't do that.

I don't see anything wrong with board games, movies, camping equipment, etc., as long as they are things that the couple will use together. Registering for a ton of James Bond movies when only one person is a fan? Kind of weird. But registering for movies/TV shows that both people love, board games they'll play together (and have family and friends over to play for game nights), I think that's totally OK. I don't think that setting them up for family game night is any less appropriate than giving them a fondue pot they'll use every-other-year.

We almost always try to buy our friends board games from their registry because we love game night and so do most of our friends who have gotten married recently. (I know that just because we do it doesn't make it ok... see above for why I think it's appropriate).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards