Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

requests

Are you guys allowing guest to request songs?  

I was planning to and never gave this a second thought until my FMIL told me she told our young niece to practice a song to perform at our wedding.  We made it clear we did not want this happening but I do not trust her to honor our wishes.

I was thinking of just saying no requests to he DJ to make sure it doesn't happen.  Or I was thinking of telling him to use his judgement for request and only do songs you can dance to (we will pick all our slow songs).  I can't do just request for wedding party because the MOG might get included and the little girl is a flower girl and her parents are in it.

Thoughts?

Re: requests

• Options
    I would tell the DJ that nobody is to be given the mic. As for requests, I like the idea of telling him if someone requests a song that people can't dance to that he denies that. You can also give him a do not play list.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Are you guys allowing guest to request songs?  

I was planning to and never gave this a second thought until my FMIL told me she told our young niece to practice a song to perform at our wedding.  We made it clear we did not want this happening but I do not trust her to honor our wishes.

I was thinking of just saying no requests to he DJ to make sure it doesn't happen.  Or I was thinking of telling him to use his judgement for request and only do songs you can dance to (we will pick all our slow songs).  I can't do just request for wedding party because the MOG might get included and the little girl is a flower girl and her parents are in it.

Thoughts?
    Maybe your flowergirl can do something for you two at the rehearsal dinner?  Cute, fun and not during limited reception time.  

If you hire a professional DJ, that person should be able to manage your music.  Make sure your DJ knows what you do and don't like, and then they will handle requests that may come in from anyone appropriately per your preferences AND for the greater good of the party.  

DJs are not jukeboxes.   
  • Options
    I'm having a super small wedding, but I've seen super cute ideas that tie in the RSVP cards...on the card have a space for "songs that make you want to dance" or "your favorite un-traditional love song" or something like that...
    Most DJ's when you meet with them will not take requests or if they do they will run it past you. Most also ask for a list of songs/bands that you do not want played. 
    So theres that too. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    Very similar situation. I asked members of my family and wedding party which songs would make them really happy at the wedding and took that into consideration and added it the play list for our dj. We told him not to accept requests but he did take one when a big group of people asked for wagon wheel an NC tradition. It ended up being fine. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards