Not Engaged Yet

too quiet up in hurrrrrrrr

happy Tuesday!  it is way too quiet in here this morning.

what's going on with everyone?  I'm back at work today after being snowed in Sunday and Monday.  it is so cold outside (19 degrees when I went to work, felt like 6 degrees!) so I'm thankful I work inside.  the guy that always badges my car in at the gate looked so cold.  he gets off at 7:00 AM and I wish I knew if it was okay for me to bring him a cup of coffee or something!  I usually badge in about 6:40 AM, so it would almost be quitting time.  he always badges me in, and I felt so bad that he was freezing to death out there.

we leave for NM in less than a week!  from what I'm hearing, they are expecting another blast of arctic air a day or two after Thanksgiving, which of course is the day that we are going to be in Ruidoso, NM... and it's already pretty cold up there, so I'm definitely packing some warm stuff to wear.  they're going to be having horse-drawn sleigh rides in downtown, and I just can't wait to go.  it's such a cute little place, and the "chalet" we're staying in has a sauna made of an old whiskey barrel.  how cool is that!!!

Re: too quiet up in hurrrrrrrr

• It's pretty cold here too this morning! I had to drop my car off at the shop to get the brake pads replaced and DH has plantar fasciitis so he is staying home. He drove me to work and he can barely walk anywhere. I hate it when his plantar fasciitis flares up! It's the most annoying thing I've ever encountered. I don't know where it comes from.

After work I'm going to go pick up my car and go to CrossFit. I think I'm going to make corn bread tonight and maybe gravy to go over it? I want comfort food because Aunt Flow is coming and I'm pissed.
  • @southernpeach89 - my dad has plantar faciitis.  he wears special inserts in his shoes and it really, really helps.

I'm making corn bread tonight to go with our beef and beer stew!  it sounds so good.  definitely comfort food.
  • @Cocobellaf - I think it would be okay to bring him a coffee.  It's definitely okay to ask him if you can.  I'd probably just ask tomorrow, "hey, you look so cold and I really appreciate what you do. Can I bring you a coffee tomorrow?"

@southernpeach89 - PF is the worst.  A friend of mine had a severe flare up last year in the middle of a race and he still can't run.  

It got REALLY cold here all of a sudden.  It was okay yesterday, but I got up this morning and got dressed, and then realized it was about 10-15* colder than I was expecting.  I didn't change because I didn't have time, so my ankles were exposed walking to the metro and then to work.  Clearly a mistake at 17*.  

I'm scrambling to get conference stuff finished.  I feel so behind right now, and the stress is compounding to make me not want to do anything, which is bad.

Tonight I'm going to try to get my 10 mile run in - 5 miles with a friend, and then I'm REALLY hoping we have a 5 mile route for run club.  It's not going to be fun, but it needs to be done.  At least I have appropriate clothing.  M bought me a Mizuno Breath Thermo top last year, which is fantastic because it actually takes your sweat and generates heat so you don't get cold.  I'm excited to wear it again.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @CocoBellaF‌, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be OK to bring him a cup of coffee. I'm sure he'd appreciate it!

@southernpeach89‌, my mom had plantar fasciitis, and it is the pits! She makes a huge deal out of my wearing shoes that fit well and those inserts you can get.

Today I'm getting the recall on my car fixed. The receptionist informed me that it could take 5-6 hours, and I just noticed I need an oil change. So my whole day will be spent at the shop. >:( Good thing I've got you all and a book.
  • lmcooper86lmcooper86 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited November 2014

Soooo cold!

It's -7 here but feels like -18 with the wind. There's construction in front of my apartment at the moment, so my bus stop with the shelter isn't in service and I have to use a temporary stop across the street. So I've taken to waiting in my lobby and tracking the bus on my phone, and running outside as late as I can. Too windy out, it takes my breath away!!

Last night was sort of the pits. I had a terrible commute home and then the burrito place put guac on my burrito...most of you would say YUM to that, but I'm allergic to avocado so I say BLERG. I didn't notice right away so I ate some of it and then felt all twisty and gross inside for the rest of the night. Plus FI and I got home REALLY late from Florida on Sunday night so we were both exhausted. I took a couple Benadryl and went to bed at 9:30 lol.

I was thinking about making stir fry and dumplings tonight, but @CocoBellaF you've got me thinking about stew...it's definitely the right sort of day for it!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited November 2014
    Hey people!!!

I'm plugging in my earbuds right now and going to listen to music to cheer me up. Nothing has gone wrong this week, per se, but I'm in a bad mood because I know it's just going to draaaaaag by when I want to get to all the fun stuff this weekend and beyond!!

I'm also annoyed because my boss hasn't yet approved my two vacation requests. As a new employee I only received FIVE vacation days this year, so I feel like I should be able to take them whenever I damn well please. He denied my request for the day before Thanksgiving, which I expected because he already told employees he couldn't really approve any more days off for the week of Thanksgiving or the week of NYE. So instead, I'm using my last 2 days to request off for a certain NEY-ers wedding on Dec. 12th, and the following Friday, Dec. 19th because I think it would be fun to have two three day weekends in a row leading up to Xmas. If he tries to give me any pushback on either of those days, I'm going to flip.

Wow. /rantover.

Other than that... life is great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Soooo cold!

It's -7 here but feels like -18 with the wind. There's construction in front of my apartment at the moment, so my bus stop with the shelter isn't in service and I have to use a temporary stop across the street. So I've taken to waiting in my lobby and tracking the bus on my phone, and running outside as late as I can. Too windy out, it takes my breath away!!

Last night was sort of the pits. I had a terrible commute home and then the burrito place put guac on my burrito...most of you would say YUM to that, but I'm allergic to avocado so I say BLERG. I didn't notice right away so I ate some of it and then felt all twisty and gross inside for the rest of the night. Plus FI and I got home REALLY late from Florida on Sunday night so we were both exhausted. I took a couple Benadryl and went to bed at 9:30 lol.

I was thinking about making stir fry and dumplings tonight, but @CocoBellaF you've got me thinking about stew...it's definitely the right sort of day for it!!

1.  OMG what is that ridiculousness?!?!?!  how do you even stand it?!?!

2.  :(  I hope you're feeling better today.  next time, please send me the extra guac, thanks! 

3.  YUM!!!  what kind of dumplings to go with stir fry?
  • Hi Everybody!

I normally crate my dogs, but because of my big guy is stuck in the Cone-of-Shame; I left them to roam the house free.  Yesterday they just managed to open a door or two and knock over the baby gates I had in place.  I couldn't find any other damage/messes; so they did great in my book.  They got to stay out again today and until big-guy is cone-free.  I will have to talk to H what he thinks about keeping them crate-free in the future if things continue to go well.  It would be nice to move their giant elephant sized crates somewhere else in the house (right now they take up the whole dining room!).

It's FREEZING.  Even my work feels cold.  The drive in it was 10 degrees F (feels like 0F).  I went to go to the ATM and my stupid window was frozen shut so I had to get out of my nice warm car.

Anniversary
  • @hummingbird125 - hope you get the days off.  :(
  • @southernpeach89 and @CocoBellaF - My mom made cornbread to go with the roast she made on Sunday...except she made it with blue cornmeal, so it looked really weird.  Tasted delicious, though.

@Hummingbird125 - I hope you get our days off!

I got up early this morning, which means I'm in a great mood because I feel like I've already been productive (even though I really haven't...although I did go for a run, which in 28 degree and windy weather was...fun).  The roofers are here, so they're walking around and pounding away...but it's okay because THE ROOFERS ARE HERE.  And, it's supposed to rain on Saturday, so I'm happy that it won't be raining in my laundry room.  I'm glad I took the dog to my parents this morning...she would be going NUTS with this many extra people around.

I'm supposed to have class at 11:20, but I think I'm going to have to cancel it--it's a small class as it is (only 3 students), and 2 of them are supposed to be gone today, and I feel like if 2/3 of the class is going to be gone, lecturing is kind of pointless.  We're soooooo far behind, but we'll just have to deal with it.  If we don't have class, I'll turn my focus to dissertation research for the rest of the day.  I got all my research photos from last weekend cataloged yesterday, so I can start going through sources today.
  • Hi, everyone! I had to get to work early today to produce a session in our online conference. I normally get to work around 8:30, but I was here at 7 this morning. Soooo sleepy. The session went really well though, and there were tons of questions at the end. I thought I was going to have to cut off people due to time constraints, but everything ended up flowing very well. My next session is at noon, so I'll have to cram all my work into the morning. My boss is letting me leave around 3pm today, which is nice. After work I'll venture back into the gym for the first time since my gum graft. My arms are still really really sore and swollen from my allergy shots yesterday, but I think I'll be fine to do some weights.

I didn't get to cook last night :( FI ended up working late, and I had to go to bed early so that I could function this morning. But tonight is taco Tuesday! So cooking will be done no matter what.

@lmcooper86 Holy crap! Are you feeling better today? And wow, that is ridiculously cold. Wow.

@cocobellaf I bet you could bring him coffee or tea! You should ask him tomorrow if you can and what his preference is. I bet he'd really appreciate it. Also, Ruidoso sounds amazing!

@southernpeach89 You sound like a great cook. Every time you talk about food or describe stuff you bake, I drool.

@peekaboo2011 Good luck with the conference!

@CLoGreenEyes Ugh, I need to get the recall on my car fixed too. *sigh* It's such a pain in the butt. I hope you're not there as long as they estimated.

@Hummingbird125 I hope you're able to get those days off! 

• @eilis1228 -I think I'm ok but I make easy stuff. If DH says it's good then I'll take his word for it lol.
  • Morning, ladies! 

I'm soooooo glad to see everyone else bitching about this cold ass weather! My FB is filled with "complainer haters". I don't care what anyone says: It is fucking frigid and I want to bitch about it. 

I've been browsing the internet for gift ideas for Christmas. I would love to finish shopping on/by Cyber Monday. Dreams in life. I haz them. 

• oh man, just realized that it's me and the dogs tonight because H will be at a play practice.  PARTAAAYYYYYY!!!!!
  • Morning, everyone! It's freaking freezing up here - the walk home (broken car) was miserable last night and I'm pretty sure I have a few spots of frostbite that will take some time to heal. Gross gross gross. This morning FI discovered the wonders of taxis (there might have been a discussion last night about how frostbite sucks) and the commute was more pleasant.

Tonight will depend on when the car gets done, but one way or another we're watching MST3K. Last night was "I Accuse My Parents"; tonight will be "Devilfish" and "Beginning of the End."
  • I have been completely engorged in the I need relationship advice thread; it was a nice way to start my day haha.

@cocobellaf did you at least enjoy being snowed in?  We had a dusting all weekend, but nothing that even needed plowing.  I would bring him a coffee, I always try to be extra nice to our security guys since they have to be out in all types of weather and deal with usually unpleasant people.

@dignity100 oh no!! I'm surprised he was able to cause havoc while in the cone of shame!  

CLoGreenEyes my car is part of the airbag recall, but I haven't scheduled any appointment to get it fixed yet.  Last time I had something fixed from a recall I left the dealership and my check engine light came on; so I have trust issues now.

@lmcooper86 oh my! Are you feeling better today?

Today I am feeling off. First yesterday was just a long, emotional day.  Mom's heart is healthy, but we still don't know what is wrong.  After I got home from the hospital, I went to my house to help install the duct work with bf.  Well we didn't wear masks (dumb move on our part) so I was up all night wheezing.  I told bf we have to wear face masks until all the fiberglass is covered, because I don't want to feel like this ever again.  Since we're almost finished with the remodel I am starting to get really excited.  I think we're going paint, carpet, and tile shopping this week. 

I do have to add that since I spent the whole day in a waiting room I was able to read all day. I highly recommend reading Pillbillies by K.L. Randis.  I went to high school with the author and this is her second novel.  I actually recommend anything she writes; her first novel is based off her life and is about domestic violence (called Spilled Milk).  It was really difficult for me to read her first novel, because I know her personally and had no idea what she was going through, but it is an amazing story. 
  • @KeptInStitches - frostbite, for real??  ugh!!

@speakeasy14 - I loved being snowed in, but only because it was just for a couple days.  :)
  • @cocobellaf, for real. I'll spare you the details, but it is fortunately fairly mild.
  • @KeptInStitches - dear heavens.  that sounds awful!!!
  • Erg! So apparently my back two tires are dry rotted, one has some kind of illegal plug that must have been there since I bought the car, there's something wrong with my shocks, and...some other thing that I can't remember because I stopped listening due to panic. Soooo YAY MONEY. I'm just going to replace the tires today and do the rest of it over the next couple months. I'm looking at $1100-ish when all I'd said and done.

And even though this isn't that kind of thread, my irrational irritationn about all of this is that while I was talking with the technician about everything, some other lady was apparently listening to our conversation. So afterward she was like, "Ma'am, you need to go across the street and get your tires done, because it is far too expensive here." I guess I should be grateful that people still try to look out for each other, but I'm so overwhelmed right now trying to figure out how this massive expense is going to fit into my financial plan, and I am really not interested in coordinating with another place right now. I'm already stuck here until 3-ish today at the bare minimum, and I have to be able to drive to work tomorrow with this much longer commute. So I was just like, "Thank you," and even though I feel like maybe I should look into it I just don't even want to for what is still going to be a butload of damn money when all is said and done.

If someone could send me a basket of puppies and some chocolate (and some lunch, I'm starving!), that'd be great.
  • I just found out they're starting renovations on my new office at the end of the week, and it should be done by Thanksgiving.  Which means we get final details (like furniture) starting December 1.  I am SO PUMPED.
    I french with my man
  • awwww, @CLoGreenEyes ... that is the SUCK.  :(
  • I'm jumping on the bandwagon complaining about the cold.  It's so miserable.  I have my first read through tonight for the show that I'm in.  I'm looking forward to it.  I woke up feeling ok this morning for the first time in a few days.  I also didn't cry this morning when feeding the cats, so that's a win.

I just want to go home and snuggle under a pile of hug blankets with my kitties.  Wine would be nice too and chocolate. I have some leftover halloween candy and it would have been nice to bring some in today. 

Anniversary

• @keptinstiches-ouch! Frostbite sounds terrible! I will no longer complain about it being cold here.

@CLoGreenEyes-Car issues are the worst! Any chance any of it is covered by a warranty?

@CocoBella-I think it's super sweet that you want to bring him a warm drink, and I'm sure he'd appreciated it!

I'm doing the super boring office stuff at work today, which I also did yesterday, and someone in one click I managed to undo a day's worth of work. Apparently not all idiot proof programs are idiot proof. This week is my 5K class's last week before their race this Saturday, and I'm super proud of them. I'm hoping they come tonight, but not counting on it because of how cold it's gotten.
  • @Hummingbird125 - I hope you get your days off! I'm waiting for my boss to approve a few days for me next week...hurry up please!

@CocoBellaF - I complain about the cold. A lot. And you can certainly have my guac...all the guac for the rest of NEY. And I usually have a bag of pork and veggie dumplings in the freezer, SO GOOD! Also, I will be having a partaaaayyyy with my cat tonight. FI has band practice so I have a night to myself too!

@eilis1228 and @speakeasy14 - Much better today. I didn't have enough to make me sick to my stomach, but enough to make my insides hurt. BOOO.

@CLoGreenEyes - Ugh, car repairs are the worst! Good that some of it can be spaced out over a the next little while though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @CLoGreenEyes - Car issues are the worst! With my old car I felt like every time I went in for one thing, there would a billion other things wrong with it and I'd end up having to pay thousands of dollars! I totally understand not wanting to coordinate with two places to get the repairs done. Dealing with car issues is frustrating enough without trying to use two different places to just get it fixed and back on the road!

It's up to 45 degrees here today! Which after how cold it was this weekend is actually pleasant. BF is almost finished with his applications to grad school and should be sending everything in today. He's been super stressed about it so I'll be glad when he's done, although waiting to find out if he is going to get in will not be fun. I should be packing for my trip to see my parents for Thanksgiving and cleaning my apartment but I'm very unmotivated. Maybe after lunch I'll get around to it.

• @bethsmiles, Grad school applications are THE WORST!  Or at least I thought so until I started having to fill out job applications....

I was just reading over a friend's statement of purpose for her PhD applications last night and it brought back all sorts of awful memories.
  • @futuremrshistorian - I've been working with him on his personal statement and it is so frustrating! It's definitely been the worst part of getting everything together for his application. I remember writing my own to get into my masters program and I am not looking forward to doing it again for a PhD program some day. I'm really excited to find out where he gets in though because it might mean moving to a new state which I think would be fun and exciting for us!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards