Just Engaged and Proposals

gah, choosing a ring!

So while bf and I are technically not engaged yet, we have already had to start planning the wedding because of the timing of it - so we're doing this a little backwards. :) I wanted to post this here instead of in 'not engaged yet' anyway because I figured you guys would have more experience to be able to weigh in on this question.

We are now at the point of choosing an engagement ring, and we had basically settled on a very simple, 1-carat bezel set ring from Joseph Schubach. I'm not a big fan of the traditional prong setting, and I like the look of stacking bezel set rings (with a wedding, anniversary band). 

We had decided to take the night to sleep on the decision, when I suddenly came across this other ring from the same site:

I THOUGHT I HAD BEEN THOROUGH. AND NOW I HAVE A DILEMMA.

Before I found the simple bezel setting, I always loved the swirly, bypass look. All the e-rings I'd saved before were this swooping, wave like design - I grew up near the ocean, we are getting married on the Pacific, and the ocean is a big part of both our lives, so it's significant to me. I also like how it's a little different from usual solitaires. My main concern with it is having a wedding band that suits it - they sell a matching wedding band, but I'm not a big fan of matching sets. 

Basically, does anyone have an opinion on one ring vs. another? Do you think it would look odd to wear a straight wedding band below that bypass setting? I wish I could go try them on, but that is the frustrating aspect of ordering online...

thanks! :)

Re: gah, choosing a ring!

• The downside to the second one is if you want rings to fit next to it, you're pretty much going to have to go custom. Not a bad thing, but it can be a little pricier. 

Sleep on it some more. You don't have to make a decision immediately. 

Anniversary
  • I personally like the first one better.  I am not a fan of the swirly band look at all.

And if you are planning a wedding then you are engaged so congrats!

• If you are planning a wedding, then you guys have agreed to get married and are engaged!  A ring/big proposal isn't necessary to be engaged, once you are wedding planning, you've made the decision to be married so congrats!  

I like the first better, more classic, will be easier to fit a wedding band and not have to go custom.  Just make sure it's set high enough to slide a band under (if that's the look you like)

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

Personally, I dont like either of them, they arent my style, but that doesnt matter since I wont be wearing them.

But, IMHO, I would pick the top one. The second one seems a bit trendy to me. Will you love it ass much in 20 years? And I think you are forcing the wave/ ocean symbolism.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not a huge fan of bezel setting, but I would probably pick the first one over the second because you'll have many more options with wedding band, anniversary bands and stacking.  I think if you were planning to wear only a wedding band, the 2nd is fine, but it will be hard to get multiple rings on like it sounds like you want.  

Last week my e-ring was being serviced, i have a straight wedding band and wore another ring i have that is a similar setting as the 2nd one.  It looked nice with my straight band, but there was no way i was getting anything else on my finger!!!  And I have long fingers :)
  • I'm not into bezels, because they remind me of what I bought for myself as a kid. But, I'm also very into the classic prong look so my opinion about that really doesn't matter. I like swirly, floral looking rings, but I went with a straight pave band because of 1. it was a better price at the store I went with,  2. it's classic, and I know I won't get sick of it because it's just a current trend, and 3. I wanted a straight band, and it gives me more options.

I really think you should go to a store and try on rings in similar styles, and try on different types of wedding bands with them. Obviously you can still order these rings online, but at least you can get a sense of things in person first. You may end up hating how these styles look on your hand! Or you'll definitely love one over the other.

I don't mind the "gap" look. That is, a different or swirly shaped engagement ring, and then a straight wedding band with some space in between the two because of the different shapes. You might love that look! Or, you might hate it!

If you don't like the "gap", and you go with the second swirly engagement ring, you'll end up with a curvy wedding band to fit around the engagement ring. But in the future you may just want to wear the wedding band sans engagement ring. If that is the case, you need to know if you like the look of the curvy band by itself. If you DON"T like that look, then go with the first ring. You'll have more wedding band options.

But, basically, just because you're ordering online doesn't mean you won't be able to try similar styles on in person to get a better feel for your tastes. Don't rush the choice. And going ring shopping in person with your BF (FI?) is a ton of fun!
  • I feel like bezel set diamonds don't let as much light in (read: not as sparkly) as classic prong settings.

I do really like the artistic feel of the second one more than the first. The first just seems very unflattering to me, but I think seeing it in person would be very helpful. Try going to a store and actually trying on some rings. It was very helpful to me and then-Fi (now DH!) to see what we liked on me.
  • Thanks for the input, it really was helpful. :) We went around to some nearby jewelry shops - mostly mall chains I have to admit - and none of them had anything resembling either of these styles. Very frustrating, but it did reinforce that I really don't like the standard prong setting solitaire! (I mean... "really don't like" is kinda strong, a pretty sparkly ring is a pretty sparkly ring but might as well go for something I really love) :)

After a couple of days my gut is kind of leaning towards the first one. I agree with whoever commented that the wave symbolism might be a little much. It feels fickle, but after loving the idea so much for a long time, I'm suddenly a little tired of the swirly design. Anyway, will try to remember to come back here and update with the final choice! 
  • Thanks for the input, it really was helpful. :) We went around to some nearby jewelry shops - mostly mall chains I have to admit - and none of them had anything resembling either of these styles. Very frustrating, but it did reinforce that I really don't like the standard prong setting solitaire! (I mean... "really don't like" is kinda strong, a pretty sparkly ring is a pretty sparkly ring but might as well go for something I really love) :)

After a couple of days my gut is kind of leaning towards the first one. I agree with whoever commented that the wave symbolism might be a little much. It feels fickle, but after loving the idea so much for a long time, I'm suddenly a little tired of the swirly design. Anyway, will try to remember to come back here and update with the final choice! 

Trying to imagine how you're going to feel about the ring in 20 years is hard, I'm sure, but that's what I'm doing as well. 

I ended up falling in love with an engagement ring that was the entire opposite of what I've always liked -- I like intricate settings with small stones, and I ended up in love with a 3-stone ring in a plain setting. He saw how much I liked that one, so he got that one. It's very, very hard to match with a band, though, and we're going to have to end up going custom. I'd be OK with a gap, but the gap between my e-ring and almost every single band is just enormous and looks pretty terrible.

That first ring, the bezel one, is gorgeous and pretty classic and should be much easier to get a band that looks nice with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards