September 2015 Weddings

Father Daughter Dance

So back in June, my father passed away. He was so excited to know I was getting married to a loyal man, who treats his baby girl like a girl should be treated.  We are getting married Sept 12th. The planning process has been going well. I have been recently thinking of all the little details of the ceremony and reception. I finally started thinking of the reception and the songs and the "special songs" that are played. My Fiance is dancing with his mom of course. I was planning on dancing with my dad.. I want to do something for the father daughter dance. I was thinking of dancing with my mom instead. But then I was thinking , why not dance with the most important men in my life i.e. my 2 brothers, my cousin and a good family friend thats like another brother to me, make it kinda like a tribute to my father. I would dance with the men seperately for a little bit of the song I had already picked out.

My question is what do you guys think I should do
1-Dance with my mom and make it a mother daughter dance 
2-Dance with my brothers, cousin and family friend each for a little bit to the already selected song

Re: Father Daughter Dance

• Moms and daughters have their own special bond and while I think it's great to honour her with a mother daughter dance, I feel like you already share so much with your mom in planning the wedding. Remember that your brothers also lost their father, and they're probably feeling it just as much as you are on this monumental occasion. Personally, I would have your brothers stand in. I think it would be a touching tribute and a moment none of you will forget. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wow we're in the same predicament. My dad passed in 2013 before I was engaged, but i'm sure he knew it was coming lol. But i've been thinking of ways to handle the father/daughter dance also, and i think your idea to dance with your brothers is great. I was thinking of doing something similar, I was going to dance with my 5 uncles. My dad never had siblings of his own, so his in-laws could be there to represent him. I'm not sure if i can fit a dance with all of them in one song though, and thats my main concern for us trying this lol.

if that doesnt work a dance with your mom would be great to if she's willing, because mines wont!

but if none of these work out. try dedicating a slide show to him, with pictures of you two together(it might be a tear jerker but it'll be special).....this is definately my go to idea! i hope it helps you
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. If I were you, I'd do both the options you listed! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.  I think dancing w tour brothers, cousin and family friend would be my choice.

I would NOT do the tear jerking slideshow.  A wedding is a happy occassion, not one that should  dig up grief for you and your family. 

• smoulin10 said:

So back in June, my father passed away. He was so excited to know I was getting married to a loyal man, who treats his baby girl like a girl should be treated.  We are getting married Sept 12th. The planning process has been going well. I have been recently thinking of all the little details of the ceremony and reception. I finally started thinking of the reception and the songs and the "special songs" that are played. My Fiance is dancing with his mom of course. I was planning on dancing with my dad.. I want to do something for the father daughter dance. I was thinking of dancing with my mom instead. But then I was thinking , why not dance with the most important men in my life i.e. my 2 brothers, my cousin and a good family friend thats like another brother to me, make it kinda like a tribute to my father. I would dance with the men seperately for a little bit of the song I had already picked out.

My question is what do you guys think I should do
    1-Dance with my mom and make it a mother daughter dance 
    2-Dance with my brothers, cousin and family friend each for a little bit to the already selected song
    1. Date twins!
    2. I agree with @futuremrsjms, dance with the men in your life and definitely don't do the memorial.

I lost my grandmother last year and everyone in my family is trying to convince me to have a memorial chair for her at our reception, and I don't want to bring the mood down by making everyone sad. I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine how hard that is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards