Not Engaged Yet

Hello Furbaby Owners!

Hi Ladies!

So I wanted to create a fun little post (since my last one was a bit down in the dumps) and I saw that a lot of women on theknot have furbabies. You've already seen some pictures of my little girl but I wanted to share more and ask some questions :-D 

So I am not a big fan of kids but I love my dog. Absolutely love love love her. Obviously, as a furparent I get frustrated at times but having her is one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. My SO has anxiety with animals but even he is really starting to warm up to her. He lets her sit near him and he thinks it is cute when she places both of her paws on his lap (I wish I had a picture). 

Well it's winter now and it's hitting hard. What are some of the activities that you do with your furbaby to run off that energy? Honestly if I had a cat, I'd make one of those sticks with the dangly things and twirl it around all day every day. Don't have a cat though. Have a beautiful dog and I try to walk her every day but it is so cold so I am now taking her down to my basement where I chase her around for a little bit and toss her ball.

Do you put clothes on your furbaby? I've got pictures!

Are you planning anything special for your furbaby for Christmas this year? My ex has set up an amazon wishlist for our pup and we will slowly be buying things off of it for her, starting with Christmas gifts. She will probably get the most gifts out of anyone I know since everyone loves her and always gives her a gift (which is such a sweet gesture - I wonder if I can teach her how to write thank you cards :-P )

What is something that is challenging to deal with having a furbaby? I work an 8-4 job (I work through lunch) and drive about an hour each way for work. So unfortunately I have to leave my pup alone for a long time. Because of this I have to keep her in the kitchen, which is decent sized. I cannot keep her in a cage because her previous owner kept her in a cage 24/7 and she does not handle that well and I don't have the heart. So that is a bit of a challenge because sometimes I'm exhausted from work but I need to try and exercise my pup because she has been alone for extended periods of time and has tons of energy. It is a bit more difficult to handle in the winter but I am working on it.

And pictures of the furbabies in your lives! I love seeing pictures of furbabies, particularly dogs. I also frequent reddit and I love seeing the ones where the owner puts a sweater on their cat or dog. My dog actually likes clothing but I believe the reason for this is because I associated it with something good - her going outside.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Hello Furbaby Owners!

• you have a beautiful dog, @ChemFanatic25!!

Well it's winter now and it's hitting hard. What are some of the activities that you do with your furbaby to run off that energy? we play chase with Bella's favorite toy (a mouse or a ball).  we take them on walks when it's nice, and let them run around the backyard.  Baxter plays a tiny bit, but not much.

Do you put clothes on your furbaby? once in a while!

Are you planning anything special for your furbaby for Christmas this year? we bought them some toys and treats for their stockings.

What is something that is challenging to deal with having a furbaby? when we first took in Baxter about 2 years ago, he had been to 5+ homes in 6 months.  he had extreme anxiety.  it was very rough the first few months (he was so destructive because of anxiety attacks) but now he is the sweetest little thing.  Bella has IBS, so I have to keep my eye on her to make sure she doesn't start to have signs of a flare.

And pictures of the furbabies in your lives!  these are my pups.  the wheaten is Baxter (3 years) and the black brindle is Bella (6 years).

• Well it's winter now and it's hitting hard. What are some of the activities that you do with your furbaby to run off that energy? My dog is strange...she builds in her own exercise to her daily routine.  Every evening after dinner, she races around the house in circles with her chew toy for probably 15 minutes.  It's weird.

Do you put clothes on your furbaby?  She has them, but I rarely remember to put them on her.  The exception is her red sparkly Christmas dress.  She wears that every year.

What is something that is challenging to deal with having a fur baby?  Like @ChemFanatic25, I work really long days...next semester, on MW, I'll leave the house at 8:30 am and not get home until 10:30 at night.  I hate leaving her along for so long, but for right now I can't really do anything else.

I'll come back and add pictures later...I need to download some from Facebook, and it's blocked at the school.
  • OMG HOW CUTE IS MADDUX!!!!!  HE IS SUCH A LITTLE MAN!!!!!
    @southernpeach89
  • @CocoBellaF, I cannot get over your pups! They are just too cute. I saw your post a little earlier and I was like, I need to see more dogs! I love their faces though. I'm glad you were able to work on the anxiety. How did you work with that? Missy cries a lot and I am trying to minimize that because I believe she is stressed and it does stress me out because I don't know exactly how to address it. I have talked to the vet about it and they gave her a clean bill of health. I believe I need to exercise her more.

Missy has her own stocking too! I went to JoAnn's and saw this cute knitted moose stocking that had a bell and whenever I ring the bell Missy gets excited. It's the cutest thing.
  • @ChemFanatic25 - we got him a ThunderShirt.  that made the biggest difference.  some of it also is because he had been passed around so much and really abused.  once he was in a stable environment with love and a sister-pup, he began to feel more at ease.  we took him to a behavioral dog trainer who specializes in dogs like him, $100 for 5 classes.  it was a lot of work and time and love.  he doesn't even wear his ThunderShirt at all anymore!!  he will sometimes get anxiety and start shaking when we're in the car, but that's about it.  and he feels really comfortable staying at my parents' house with their dogs.  he really needs a "pack"; he's not the type that can be without a fur-sibling.
  • @LaPeanut1018 -I love Cinder's new Christmas sweater lol! She is like "whatevs."
  • @Swazzle - Lucy is just gorgeous.  that's all.
  • Well it's winter now and it's hitting hard. What are some of the activities that you do with your furbaby to run off that energy? We have two cats, Annie and Tessie, and we snuggle and play with wand toys.

Do you put clothes on your furbaby? No.  Both DH and the cats won't let me.

Are you planning anything special for your furbaby for Christmas this year? Unfortunately, we won't even be home for Christmas.  We'll be on the East Coast.  We've discussed buying them a cat tree though.

What is something that is challenging to deal with having a furbaby? It's difficult to travel for more than a weekend.  We have to hire a pet sitter, since we don't know a lot of people in Chicago.  Also, I have cat fur on everything.

And pictures of the furbabies in your lives! I don't have kitty pics on this computer, but Annie is an all black cat with short fur and Tessie is a blue point snowshoe cat with super blue eyes.  They're such pretty girls.
  • Yay! Cute pups and cats! I'm so glad I posted this thread.

@futurmrshistorian - I cannot wait to see pictures of your pup in her dress :-D I would love to buy Missy a cute dress but I haven't found one I really liked. Are you planning on having a petsitter or dog sitter? I hate leaving her for extended periods of time but I don't have much of a choice. If this interview goes well I am considering getting a dog walker for the weekdays because I may be working more than I already do.

@southernpeach89 - Maddux is adorable! And bandanas and bows count. Missy's fur-aunt made her several bandanas that she struts her stuff in. Simple and cute.

@LaPeanut1018 - that sweater is too cute on Cinder. I love seeing dogs in sweaters. They look so comfy.

@Swazzle - Lucy is the cutest! I love her colors. Pits in tutus are my favorite. Hailey screams? Like literally or very loud meowing. I don't know if I've ever heard a cat that  screams. Is that normal? Your cats are adorable. Especially Brody. Those eyes :-D

@loves2shop4shoes - yeah, traveling is never easy. I normally drop Missy off at her grandmother's but she is an hour away so that can make it a hassle at times.

@GoldenPengiun, I don't know a dog that isn't an AW. They are just always wanting to snuggle, curl in your lap, give you kisses, etc. Also, Brady is so fluffy! 

@CocoBellaF I'm glad your pup found good furparents. It's unfortunate when an animal is neglected. I never thought of the pack thing, but I don't think I could get another dog because having one right now is such a huge responsibility. Plus I got so lucky with Missy and how well behaved she is.
  • @ChemFanatic25 - Very loud meowing all. the. time. She's crazy.

• @Dignity100 -Your orange kitty looks like it's about to kill someone lol.
    She's a very naughty cat and I'm not really happy with her.  She's actually the nicest cat ever but takes a horrible picture.  The reason I do not like her is that she refuses to use a litter box - at all... ever.  The other day, she peed on the mat that the dog's water bowls sit on. . . right in front of me!  I'm not sure what to do with her, for now, she only has kitchen and basement access.  If H and I move like we plan to, she will not be invited to the new house, but I'm not sure what I'll do.

Anniversary
    She's a very naughty cat and I'm not really happy with her.  She's actually the nicest cat ever but takes a horrible picture.  The reason I do not like her is that she refuses to use a litter box - at all... ever.  The other day, she peed on the mat that the dog's water bowls sit on. . . right in front of me!  I'm not sure what to do with her, for now, she only has kitchen and basement access.  If H and I move like we plan to, she will not be invited to the new house, but I'm not sure what I'll do.
    Interesting - have you taken her to vet to get that checked out? Missy would pee like on the couch or her bed even if I had just taken her to the bathroom. It was so stressful and still is but I am pretty sure I know why. I took her to the vet and they said it wasn't a urinary infection and she has a clean bill of health. They recommended excercising her more. So I have now confined her to the kitchen when I am gone at work and when I am home, I try to exercise her when I can. I try not to get upset because I know it has to do with me being gone (some slight separation anxiety) and the amount of time I am gone. I am curious if maybe your kitty has an infection. But I don't know much about cats so I can't contribute more. 
  • ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Swazzle said:
    @ChemFanatic25 - Very loud meowing all. the. time. She's crazy.
    And sometimes she & Brady talk to each other over FaceTime.

Yes, we're ridiculous.
    That is pretty funny. I recently rescued a cat that constantly tried to get into my house and car. It would meow SO LOUD! It had been around my house for about a month and I didn't notice because I actually had been gone for a while, but my upstairs neighbors let me know. I fed it when I realized it was probably hungry and sat outside with it. I couldn't bring it inside though because I'm horribly allergic to cats. Just sitting outside with it was making my eye itchy and my coughing and sneezing to start up. Such a cute and friendly cat but goodness was he a meow-er. I didn't realize it was screaming though.

Is there a reason why they do this? I figured it was because the cat was hungry but I'm gong to assume you guys feed your cats. Maybe attention?
  • Well, I mean, they're meowing - but @Swazzle's cat & mine take it to a whole new level. 

*******************************************************************************************

• @ChemFanatic25 - She's been to the vet many of times.  She was adopted when she was 2 or 3 years old, she was a stray before I adopted her from the shelter.  I have had her for probably 10 or 11 years, for over half of it she's peed on the floor.  When I first got her, she kept getting UTI after UTI, after we figured out what foods worked for her, she hasn't had once since. . . however it became a learned behavior NOT to use the litter box because she associated it with pain.  I've tried multiple kinds of kitty litter - yesterdays news, feline pine, tidy cat and other scoopable, non-scoopable, cat attract (which everybody told me was made out of unicorn dust because it worked for their cats, but not for Morgan). . . I've tried different litter boxes -covered, not covered, round, high sided, low sided - I've tried cleaning the litter box 2-3 times a day, tried different litter box locations. . .

Anniversary
  • @ChemFanatic25 - She's been to the vet many of times.  She was adopted when she was 2 or 3 years old, she was a stray before I adopted her from the shelter.  I have had her for probably 10 or 11 years, for over half of it she's peed on the floor.  When I first got her, she kept getting UTI after UTI, after we figured out what foods worked for her, she hasn't had once since. . . however it became a learned behavior NOT to use the litter box because she associated it with pain.  I've tried multiple kinds of kitty litter - yesterdays news, feline pine, tidy cat and other scoopable, non-scoopable, cat attract (which everybody told me was made out of unicorn dust because it worked for their cats, but not for Morgan). . . I've tried different litter boxes -covered, not covered, round, high sided, low sided - I've tried cleaning the litter box 2-3 times a day, tried different litter box locations. . .
    Oh, that is very unfortunate. :-( I'm sorry to hear you are in that position but I can understand your concern.
  • @motoLyn, first off, I'm jealous. It's cold here and you're wearing a maxi skirt and flip flops. Indignation all around! But yeah, just kidding. Also, your dogs are too cute. :-) Maus looks absolutely adorable in those tutus especially the one with the sweater. Did you make that or purchase it?
  • Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    @ChemFanatic25 - She's been to the vet many of times.  She was adopted when she was 2 or 3 years old, she was a stray before I adopted her from the shelter.  I have had her for probably 10 or 11 years, for over half of it she's peed on the floor.  When I first got her, she kept getting UTI after UTI, after we figured out what foods worked for her, she hasn't had once since. . . however it became a learned behavior NOT to use the litter box because she associated it with pain.  I've tried multiple kinds of kitty litter - yesterdays news, feline pine, tidy cat and other scoopable, non-scoopable, cat attract (which everybody told me was made out of unicorn dust because it worked for their cats, but not for Morgan). . . I've tried different litter boxes -covered, not covered, round, high sided, low sided - I've tried cleaning the litter box 2-3 times a day, tried different litter box locations. . .
    Oh, that is very unfortunate. :-( I'm sorry to hear you are in that position but I can understand your concern.
    The attached picture is why Morgan still has a place in my house - Merlin ADORES her.  EDIT:  The picture was just taken this AM.

Anniversary
    The attached picture is why Morgan still has a place in my house - Merlin ADORES her.  EDIT:  The picture was just taken this AM.
    Oh, they're too cute. :-) I'm so sorry that you are in this situation.
  • they are beautiful dogs, @TwoDimes!!!!  how exciting, a new fur-mama!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards