Wedding Woes
Options

I don't like my clothing optional house

Dear Prudence,
My wife of more than 10 years has always been a bit of a nudist. Nothing public, but around the house and our pool and out in the boat she likes to be in the buff. Our son is now 6 years old and my daughter is 3. My children are being raised in the nude, the same way my wife was raised. They get home from school and their clothes come off. I come home at night to two naked kids and a naked wife. Now that our children are getting older, I think it might be time that everyone starts covering up a bit more. My wife disagrees and does not want to change. Are we doing damage to our kids here?

—Clothing Not Optional

Re: I don't like my clothing optional house

• Options
    Yes. Natural bodies in natural states with no shame attached to them will completely fuck your kids up for life. Why, they might realize that people aren't shaped the way Photoshop makes them! Or they might forget to be ashamed of their bodies! THINK OF THE CHILDREN AND COVER UP THOSE DIRTY PILLOWS!

• Options
    I'm sure he knew she would have this parenting approach before the kids ever arrived. I'm sure there is a compromise. What about wearing underwear bottoms in the home, Mrs. Conn?
  • Options
    I think he needs to start getting naked more.
  • Options
    6, right!!!!
  • Options
    Compromise with underwear.  Buy tight nude ones and it gives the illusion of nudity without a 6 year old potentially staining the couch after going to the bathroom.
    I like the concept of these kids growing up with no qualms about nudity (and distancing the idea that being nude means you are overly sexual, which it does not), but I am a big fan of underwear. 

• Options
    Personally I would be completely uncomfortable with this.  I am a very liberal person and I think everyone should do as they wish so long as they don't hurt anyone else but if would never be something I would be okay with in my home/family.  I know it doesn't do any good now, but as was mentioned further up, this is something that really should have been agreed upon before kids ever entered the picture and in my opinion before a marriage took place.  Major lifestyle choices like this are things that are very hard to compromise on.  Either they are naked or they aren't.  Very little middle ground.  I made sure before I made any commitments to my FH that we settled on at least the major points on how we would raise our kids (religion, politics, discipline, etc).  I don't mean this to sound condescending, I just know that these things are infinitely harder to settle once you already have children.

This is clearly an issue that could impact your childrens lives a great deal.  I would suggest some kind of counseling.  While I don't normally jump to that idea, I think having an objective third party here might be really helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards