Chit Chat
Options

Friday night confession

I decorated for Christmas today.

I NEVER do this. I'm so one holiday at a time.  And laugh at people who decorate before Thanksgiving.

My parents are coming for Thanksgiving.  They have given me a lot of my Byer's Carolers and have never seen them displayed because they are never around during xmas.  I decided to decorate so they can see the little village I have accumulated via them.  

It still feels weird I decorated already.   Please tell me I'm not the only one who decorated prematurely?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Friday night confession

• Options
    While I do love Christmas decorations, I just can't even start with Christmas yet.  Not with three Thanksgiving dinners to cook every other day, 200 miles apart.  I'm barely treading water here.
  • Options
    That's sweet! I don't think there's anything wrong with decorating for your parents' visit.

Confession: I don't decorate for Christmas. I'm not a grinch (really!) I just live in a tiny apartment, no room to store the stuff for the other 11 months of the year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I have never been one to decorate early, but I have been out night shifts for a month (hence all my replies at odd hours lately) and I so desperately want time to decorate so that I can go home and enjoy my house all festive for the few hours I'm home a day lately.
  • Options
    H's cousin was decorating right after Halloween. I just get annoyed when Christmas stuff comes down before New Years.
  • Options
    I won't until after Thanksgiving, but I won't blame you for doing it. I think that's a good reason.

I will confess that I ate pretty well today and then ruined it with a Target Pizza Hut personal cheese pizza and Lofthouse red velvet cookie.

• Options
    My definition of decorating is hanging a wreath on the front door. 

• Options
    In the last 4 years I've spent xmas in different places. Each year I have to figure out where everything is going to go. It's been a challenge. 

Since I will not see them for xmas and plan on giving them their gift to be opened when they are hear. It seems like it was the right thing to do.  My mom LOVES xmas.    

Still feels weird.   Oh well, it's already done.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Kitty won't leave Christmas decorations alone so I decorate Christmas Eve and put everything away Boxing Day. I'd probably decorate Dec 1 if it wasn't for kitty.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm decorating this weekend since we won't be getting back from our Thanksgiving travel until Dec. 2nd. The thing that is weird to me about decorating now is that it was 65 degrees today so it doesn't even feel like Christmas, much less winter.
  • Options
    Ha.  Not a problem here. The slopes are opening tomorrow.     Plus we are expecting snow each day between now and Wednesday.  Not Buffalo snow amounts, but enough to keep the slopes open.  Hoping for enough to go dog sledding next week.

• Options
    I'm being a total brat about Christmas this year. I'm still considering leaving the country and having all of the margaritas poolside. I do not judge you, however. It's a long season.
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    I'm being a total brat about Christmas this year. I'm still considering leaving the country and having all of the margaritas poolside. I do not judge you, however. It's a long season.
    psst.  They celebrate Christmas in other countries.   Especially those who specialize in margaritas.  

Thanksgiving is pretty late this year.  The latest it can be is the 28, and this year it's the 27. So the "season" is actually pretty short compared to when Thanksgiving is on the 22.

• Options
    I'm going to decorate Friday since I'm going to be home all day. I am excited for it. 

My fireplace was cute as HELL last year, and once the insulation guys are done I know I'm gonna be moseying my fat ass over to home goods to buy all type of Christmas shit to put all over the damn place.

I think we're going to get a tree in a couple weeks, the farm we got ours from last year had SUUUUUCH nice trees so I think we'll go there again. I also want to get some real ornaments this year. I have a shit-ton of plastic ones that come in sets because the cats used the old fake tree as a jungle gym but they don't care to fuck with a real one that much.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lc07 said:
    psst.  They celebrate Christmas in other countries.   Especially those who specialize in margaritas.  

Thanksgiving is pretty late this year.  The latest it can be is the 28, and this year it's the 27. So the "season" is actually pretty short compared to when Thanksgiving is on the 22.

I was initially considering Paris. Then switched to Mexico because I was told Paris is a horrible idea. Clearly, I'm in denial about my inability to avoid Christmas. And about the season I meant that I lump all of the holidays into one and have no judgement about when people start them. Once it gets cold in the US it's winter and it's all about the holidays until it warms up. Even if you live in a warmer climate.
  • Options
    Back when I bought my condo in St Thomas I bought 3 fake trees from Kmart for like no money.  They were 1, 2 and 3 foot trees in a small box..    It was a small condo so it was prefect.   I was not spending $70 on a real tree that was dead when you bought it.

I still have those trees.    I use the 3 foot for the "village" tree for my carolers.  The other 2 I sometimes use, sometimes not.  Depends on if there is space.  This year all 3 have home.  The smallest fits perfect on our kitchen window. 

When we moved to NOLA we did get a real tree.  Oddly, I like my small fake ones better and we haven't gotten a big one since.

• Options

FI is completely totally 100% against decorating before Thanksgiving.

He will be surprised when I do it myself this week!

It's about to be 60 degrees after a week in the 20s and 30s, so I am NOT risking it!

He can get up on the ladder later if he wants, but I suspect he wants my dad to do the roof lights anyway.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    lc07 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lc07 said:

I was initially considering Paris. Then switched to Mexico because I was told Paris is a horrible idea. Clearly, I'm in denial about my inability to avoid Christmas. And about the season I meant that I lump all of the holidays into one and have no judgement about when people start them. Once it gets cold in the US it's winter and it's all about the holidays until it warms up. Even if you live in a warmer climate.
    @lc07 would you be willing to go somewhere like SE Asia? I don't know how much time you're working with but you'd possibly be less likely to run into Christmas stuff where other religions are more prevalent? 
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I spent xmas in Siapan one year.  A manager asked the staff to string popcorn the tree.  They didn't understand and strung up bags of popcorn instead.     We walked by trying to figure out why there were brown bags of popcorn attached to the trees. 

Then we went to midnight mass.  We got there 45 mins before the mass and could not get inside.  Everyone was having a big ole parking lot party.  (I forget who sings the country song, but it was just like that).   People were sitting on the cars drinking and having a good time all listening to the mass on huge speakers.  They even had communion out there. They were dressed to the nines too.

Craziest xmas I've experienced.  

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I spent Christmas in Bali.   Christmas was all around us there too.  

• Options
    My favourite Christmas was in Hawaii as a kid.  I love Christmas but hate winter and the snow, so it was perfect.  My parents taped 2 of my Dad's socks to the breakfast bar in the condo for Santa.  They managed to stuff a paperback in there too.  

We get out tree at Ikea.  They're smaller, which I used to like, since I was in a duplex.  Still like them smaller (maybe 5'-6').  They're also only $20 and you get a $20 coupon to Ikea too, so if you do shop there, it's free!!

• Options
    beethery said:
    lc07 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lc07 said:

@lc07 would you be willing to go somewhere like SE Asia? I don't know how much time you're working with but you'd possibly be less likely to run into Christmas stuff where other religions are more prevalent? 
    I agree Paris would be so grey and slightly dull. Margaritas at a poolside though, while you get your tan on...girl, I would do that in a jiffy! But lyndausvi and beethery are right, Christmas still looks very interesting and different everywhere else, would be worth a try if you do have the time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FUCK WAITING UNTIL FRIDAY.

I'm decorating tonight. Devil take the hindmost motherfuckers, my house is about to get festified.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards