Budget Weddings Forum

Buying a dress online?

I found the prettiest dress on preownedweddingdresses.com--it's a reputable dress reseller, never worn, CHEAP! (under 600), and just my size. My body is pretty easy to dress and the cut of the dress is loose and not very form-fitting, so I'm not worried about it looking misplaced on my body. I know I'll obviously have to get it altered (I'm short and have small breasts!), but my mother does alterations, so I wouldn't have to pay for alterations. 

What do you ladies think? Do you think it's a good idea to order a dress that you've never tried on? I just have this incredible gut feeling about this dress--it's beautiful, just my style, and incredibly affordable. I would go find it in a boutique and try it on first, but I haven't been able to find it in stores (must be an older design/lesser-known designer?). What are your experiences with online dress shopping? 

Re: Buying a dress online?

• This isn't online dress shopping.  This is buying a pre-owned dress on a reputable site.
    If you buy a dress that you have never tried on, you are taking a chance.  Except for David's Bridal, all bridal shops have a no-return policy.  The most reputable discounter stores will refuse to sell you a dress if you have not tried it on first.
    You can always sell the dress if it is not what you want, but you are taking a chance.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don't think it's a good idea to order a dress online unless A) you can easily return it for a full refund or B) you've tried the dress in person and know that it's exactly what you want and what size you need.

Preownedweddingdresses.com is a reputable site, so you'll get the dress you order and won't get your credit card info stolen or anything - but if the dress you've envisioned doesn't look all that great in person, then you're out the $600. If nothing else, try on a similar dress in a store to make sure the style is what you want before buying.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I personally wouldn't do it unless I could return it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'd want to try it on somewhere first or have it be refundable on the site of the seller is willing
  • I'll buck the trend and say go for it. I did (from David's) just because it was so cheap and it was fine. If you love it and you've worn similar shapes in the past, I think it's a pretty safe bet. The one time I went to try stuff on everything looked fine and nothing really surprised me, so I didn't see a reason this one would be different. I measured against the size chart and it fit great, but if not that's what alterations are for. However, I will admit that I'm not big into clothes and really didn't have strong feelings on a dress. I just wanted something that looked like a wedding dress so our mothers would be satisfied.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:
    I'll buck the trend and say go for it. I did (from David's) just because it was so cheap and it was fine. If you love it and you've worn similar shapes in the past, I think it's a pretty safe bet. The one time I went to try stuff on everything looked fine and nothing really surprised me, so I didn't see a reason this one would be different. I measured against the size chart and it fit great, but if not that's what alterations are for. However, I will admit that I'm not big into clothes and really didn't have strong feelings on a dress. I just wanted something that looked like a wedding dress so our mothers would be satisfied.
    You can return most dresses from David's Bridal's website.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you do, make sure you get the sizing chart from that designer! Have someone measure you who knows tailoring and alterations. There is a huge difference (sometimes 3-4 sizes) between wedding gown sizing and street clothes! If you know your size for this designer, do you have a few hundred dollars tucked away for alterations? Factor in yoU will need to alter this dress to fit, and you could easily pay the same costs as the dress in alterations!
  • @londonlisa The shop has sent the sizing chart and will be doing alterations as part of the cost of the dress. I'm going to have my mother (who has done alterations and measurements for me before) measure me so I know I have the right fit. I've also received confirmation that this shop is a reputable business who works specifically with the designer, so I'm confident that I'm getting what I've paid for. Looks like I've secured an unbelievably sweet deal!

Thanks for all your feedback, everyone!
  • CMGragain said:
    amelisha said:
    I'll buck the trend and say go for it. I did (from David's) just because it was so cheap and it was fine. If you love it and you've worn similar shapes in the past, I think it's a pretty safe bet. The one time I went to try stuff on everything looked fine and nothing really surprised me, so I didn't see a reason this one would be different. I measured against the size chart and it fit great, but if not that's what alterations are for. However, I will admit that I'm not big into clothes and really didn't have strong feelings on a dress. I just wanted something that looked like a wedding dress so our mothers would be satisfied.
    You can return most dresses from David's Bridal's website.
    Yes, but I live in Canada and the shipping consequently cost as much as the dress, so returning it wasn't a factor I considered.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP, have you tried any wedding dresses on? If you've tried one in a similar shape and liked it it could work. But in my experience until you try on dresses you don't know what shape will work for you. 

Is there any way you could try the dress on at a nearby salon (if it is still being carried) to see what you think? 
  • @badbnagdway I haven't tried any on yet, no. The dress is a flowy, loose-fit a-line and I've worn similar shapes in non-wedding dresses, so I'm not too concerned about it being a "flattering" fit. The designer is not very well-known--she just has a small boutique out in California (I'm in Connecticut), so I wouldn't be able to try it on out here. But, you make a good point! Perhaps I'll go to David's or something and see if they have a similar dress, just to make sure I like the cut. 

Thanks for your input! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards