Not Engaged Yet

Thanksgiving Food

After hearing about @LaPeanut1018's crock pot mac and cheese, and @CocoBellaF's pot luck, I'm getting really hungry! So what's your favorite Thanksgiving dish? You should post the recipe here.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Thanksgiving Food

• I'm a weirdo and really don't like Thanksgiving food. Don't like turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, or green beans. I'm not picky, it's just Thanksgiving is literally a combination of all of my least favorite foods. Except mashed potatoes, because mashed potatoes are awesome. Last year I made a super easy Mexican Casserole that went over really well. It's just melted velveeta and spicy Rotel Tomatoes, over rice and chicken, then baked for 20 minutes to make it nice and bubbly. If it's just my mom and I eating it I put black beans in it, but since no one else in my family likes beans, I leave those out for Thanksgiving.
  • I love all the foods (ok, maybe not all of them).

My absolute favorite is green bean casserole. I don't even care if it's the canned kind by Campbells!

I also love desserts. I love making French Silk Pie (with an Oreo crust), or these Oreo Truffle Balls. NOM

• Mmm @MsSparky - That sounds good. I might try that for a weeknight dinner.

• Yams or Sweet Potatoes or whatever you want to call them - candied or casserole (including marshmallows) is my favorite way - never made the casserole myself, but the candied I just use them out of the can with butter and brown sugar and sometimes walnuts.

All things pumpkin can go here too.

Just to share a recipe - I will be making these chocolate peanut butter marshmallow squares:
    LINKY

Anniversary
  • Totally going to follow this thread closely. We're having a Christmas potluck at work next month, and we have to bring the sides. I have no idea what to bring.

• I love mashed potatoes even though I shouldn't eat them because of the diary.  My mom always makes me vegan stuffing and it's so good. 

Anniversary

• I pretty much LOVE all Turkey Day foods but my mom's stuffing is my favorite. I seriously begged for it yesterday. I don't have the recipe because nobody will ever make it as good as she does! 

This year, it'll just be me and H on Thanksgiving. I'm making the following for us: 

Mini Pecan Phyllo Tarts (H's favorite thing ever)

I'll heat up the stuffing that my mom is sending me home with on Sunday and I cannot forget about the canned cranberry sauce (MY FAVE)!!!

• I love mac n cheese! @LaPeanut1018 's recipe is pretty good but I made this one last year I believe and I LOVED IT!

Also mashed potatoes and I would hope most people know how to make mashed potatoes.
  • Swazzle said:
    I pretty much LOVE all Turkey Day foods but my mom's stuffing is my favorite. I seriously begged for it yesterday. I don't have the recipe because nobody will ever make it as good as she does! 

This year, it'll just be me and H on Thanksgiving. I'm making the following for us: 

Mini Pecan Phyllo Tarts (H's favorite thing ever)

I'll heat up the stuffing that my mom is sending me home with on Sunday and I cannot forget about the canned cranberry sauce (MY FAVE)!!!

My mom makes my favorite stuffing too!! The last couple of years she's doubled the recipe & saved some for me to have at Christmas, since I don't make it home for Thanksgiving. Also, because I begged.

*******************************************************************************************

• I love every Thanksgiving dish.  After Thanksgiving, I'll take the left over turkey, put a scoot of mashed potatoes, a slice of Velveeta cheese, and a hamburger bun in the microwave for about a minute and enjoy the completely unhealthy goodness.

Drool.
  • I'll jump on the stuffing bandwagon...except in my family we just call it "dressing" because we don't actually put it in the turkey.  My mom's family recipe is AMAZING.  My mother also makes a no-bake cheesecake that is incredible: one thing of Cool Whip, one thing of cream cheese, 1/2 cup of sugar, graham cracker crust.

And I always make bread or rolls...that's Mr. Historian's favorite part (Well.  It would be if we got to spend any holidays together.)
  • I would say my favorite would be green bean casserole. Second is homemade cornbread dressing. I usually make the Campbell's version of green bean casserole. This year I think I might try a recipe I saw over the weekend on Food Network. In this recipe you actually make the mushroom soup from scratch with fresh mushrooms and cream. YUM!
  • @LaPeanut1018 -Wrong mine is cheesier and softer. Your mac n cheese is crunchy. I like soft and cheesy.
  • @TwoDimes - That sounds awesome! Nom nom nom

@southernpeach89 & @LaPeanut1018 - I think we should have a cook-off to settle whose mac and cheese is better! I'll be in town for Thanksgiving so you can totes just make it for me and I'll decide for you! ;-)

• ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    oooh! I love making the turkey. That is normally my favorite part of the meal if I'm not exhausted after cooking. I always love the results.

EDIT: No recipe because I do something different every year. I like to experiment.
  • My family is weird and we always have regular thanksgiving food and a whole bunch of other comfort food too like pasta and meatloaf and fried chicken. I love the traditional stuff though. My mom makes my great grandmothers cornbread dressing recipe and its delicious. I also love yams and mac-n-cheese. Another weird thing about me is that I don't like my food to touch so I usually have like 3 plates at thanksgiving so things don't start running into each other lol. 
  • My absolute favorite is green been casserole.

This year I'm making my grandma's baked beans and a german chocolate cake for Thanksgiving at my brother's on Friday and sweet pickle rolls and more baked beans for BFs grandma's on Thursday.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I don't really care for most traditional Thanksgiving food. I prefer sweet potatoes to baked or mashed potatoes, and I don't like my sweet potatoes with marshmallows or sugar or, really, anything. I don't like stuffing. I prefer chicken to turkey. Green beans rank pretty low on my veggies list. Etc. etc.

But I will eat pumpkin pie until I die from eating too much pumpkin pie because pumpkin is everything it's everything it's EVERYTHING.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I think this is my favorite discussion, ever.  I love food in general.  My aunt is a former chef so Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because that is at her house and everything is amazing. 

My holiday specialty is a brie torte.  It is so easy to make and everyone always asks me to make it.  Take a container of crescent rolls and lay flat (do not separate).  Place a wedge or wheel of brie on top of the dough.  Add preserves or fruit of choice (this year I am doing strawberry preserves).  Take edges of dough and cover top of fruit and cheese.  Bake in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. 
  • @speakeasy14 -Baked brie is the BEST!!!
  • @speakeasy14 - OMG can I come to YOUR Thanksgiving? Nom nom nom

• @ollie08 Sure, the more the merrier! haha I don't know how my aunt would react to extra people though.  

@southernpeach89 It is sooooo good!
  • @speakeasy14 - I literally just got a recipe for a brie torte type thing from a coworker. It sounds amazing, but my question is, how do you eat it? Is it with crackers? With a fork? I honestly don't know.

I am in charge of appetizers, so it sounded great.

• @AlPacina I like to use a cheese knife to slice into baked brie (brie torte I guess) and spread it on a cracker because otherwise the cracker breaks. Apple slices are tough enough to dip right into the baked brie though and are a delicious combo!

• I always make Alton Brown's turkey, and it is a hit everytime!

I tried to make mashed cauliflower this year (canadian thanksgiving was last month) and it was terrible. Low cal stuff sucks.

• 1) The dark meat on the turkey, and the skin. Give it ALL to me.
    2) Stove Top stuffing. Yeah, yeah, it isn't home made, but I like it.

Honorable Mention) Home made cranberry sauce. I've never actually had this before but it sounds amazing. I clearly need to try a recipe some time.
  • speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    @alpacina since it is wrapped in dough I always just slice into triangles, and eat as is.  

• I'm sure these have been mentioned, but:

There is NOTHING like a green bean casserole. My aunt makes it and brings it to Thanksgiving and on Christmas Day, just string beans, Campbell's cream of mushroom, and French's fried onions. Heaven.

I love making cranberry sauce, fresh cranberries, sugar, orange juice and zest. Mmm! Apple pie, mashed potatoes and turnips. Love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards