Wedding Etiquette Forum

BM brings her... sibling?

Hey guys!

Quick question for you regarding a bridesmaid in my wedding... She's not currently dating anyone, but has asked if she can bring her sister to my wedding instead. Is this something that happens? Thanks all!

Re: BM brings her... sibling?

• Did you invite her with a plus one?

Will she be one of the only members of the wedding party without a significant other or date? If so, maybe she wants to bring her so that she'll feel more comfortable and not the odd one out.

Since she's your bridesmaid, which is a guest of honour, I would let her bring her sister.

Formerly martha1818

• @lovegood90 Thanks for the reply... As of right now 2 of 3 bridesmaids won't have a date... I think the issue is more that her ex boyfriend will be attending and it could be the first time she sees him since they broke up.

As for the plus 1... They were together when I sent out STDs, so they got one together. I haven't sent out invites yet.
  • kikilamp said:
    @lovegood90 Thanks for the reply... As of right now 2 of 3 bridesmaids won't have a date... I think the issue is more that her ex boyfriend will be attending and it could be the first time she sees him since they broke up.

As for the plus 1... They were together when I sent out STDs, so they got one together. I haven't sent out invites yet.
    It sounds like she would be more comfortable with her sister there; since you've budgeted for her to come with her ex, I don't see the harm in letting her sister come instead.

Formerly martha1818

• I know of quite a few people who bring a relative or friend as a "date." It's about comfort, not about being in a traditional relationship.  If you were intending on including plus-ones for single guests and especially bridal party, I see no problem bringing a sister. 

At one wedding I attended, a good friend brought her mom, and we all tore up the dance floor together. It was great. 

• If you're giving her a plus one, you shouldn't dictate who you bring.

Also, I'm reading a medical report for work, and just saw "BM" in the report to bowel movement, but I read it as "birdesmaid" because of these boards.  It made me chuckle.

• Thanks for the input guys! I'm just going to tell her she can bring whoever she wants.... If that happens to be her sister then great, just one more person on the dance floor!

@dcbride86 you just made me giggle at work... Can you imagine if I was talking about bowel movements, not bridesmaids? It'd be an interesting wedding...
  • if you tell her she can bring anyone, then I think you should extend the same courtesy to your other single bridesmaids as well. Just because she had a boyfriend when save the dates went out doesn't mean she should be the only one to get a plus one. OR just tell her that no single people are getting plus ones and leave it at that. Etiquette wise you can give plus-ones out on an individual basis, but your bridesmaids will obviously be aware of who got what and who didn't... so invite (plus ones) in circles and keep everyone happy :)
  • @kikilamp hahahaha omg!  That would be a time when maybe it would be a good idea to nix a "plus one" ;)

I did have to reread the report at work to wonder why the doctor was noting when the patient's last bridesmaid situation was...

• @lilacck28 great point, I'll definitely be telling my other single BM the same thing!
  • My MOH brought her younger (3 years) brother to my wedding. She was single, and was maybe going to bring a date, then maybe her roommate (an old aquantance of ours we've both known since HS), but in the end brought her brother. He was a great addition and someone I might have invited anyway should we have had the space(along with MOHs two younger sisters - MOHs Mom/StepDad WERE invited/attended).

He danced all night and seemed to have a great time and ended up in tons of pics!
  • If she is asking, it is a sign of her comfort level, so I "personally" would allow it as she is being nice enough to stand up in your wedding and you want to do things to make her more comfortable and easier on her.

From an etiquette standpoint, technically, you don't need to allow this if you didn't provide her with a "plus one".

Though, it is certainly not a hill worth dying over, IMO. 
  • Now I can't read BM without saying "bowel movement"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards