Chit Chat

Turkey talk

SBminiSBmini member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited November 2014 in Chit Chat
OK ladies, let's talk turkey- how you prep it, how you cook it, etc. I'm making my first one tonight, although I've helped plenty in the past. It's not a big bird, and I've been researching low and slow methods. Unfortunately- I started my research a little late because some of these recipes call for overnight roasting! I have found one that will work with my timeline, however. I'll start it off at 475 for 20 minutes then dial it back to 250 and cook it for 4 hours and 20 minutes. Should be delicious.

For seasoning, I'm going to simmer saffron and some other spices in butter and add a little bit of honey then rub it all over the bird. The skin will look almost red and it will have such an amazing flavor. Then, I'll take the drippings and add it to my rice so the saffron love continues. 

Re: Turkey talk

• loro929loro929 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I have no idea how to cook a turkey so I am not too much help here but I just wanted to chime in to say: THAT SOUNDS SO DELICIOUS!!!

ETA. so delicious that yes the caps were required! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I brine mine at least 24hrs, but other than that I pretty much cook as normal, so I'm not much help. I find the brining does way more for the meat than anything else I've tried, though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've done a couple of different recipes but this one is foolproof...

Tyler Florence Maple Bacon Turkey

Epicurious Sage Rubbed Turkey

I also like to brine the bird if I have time.
    Anniversary
  • Whenever I roast a turkey or chicken I keep it super simple.  I dry off the bird, slather it with soft butter, salt and pepper (inside and out) and roast according to the directions on the wrapping.  I also add just a touch of chicken stock in the roasting pan as well.  If I want the skin to crisp then I keep it uncovered for like the last 45 minutes to an hour.  Then I let it sit, covered, while I get the rest of my stuff cooked/warmed up.

I am not a fan of lots of brine (dry or wet) or crazy seasonings or glazes.  Just give me a simple roasted turkey with homemade gravy from the drippings and I am a happy camper.

• My entire family cooks the turkey in an oven bag. The turkey always comes out moist and tender, plus has the bonus of cooking faster at 350 and less clean up.

We rub the turkey under and over the skin with oil, season the skin with lemon and garlic, and stuff the cavity with onion, garlic, and lemon. I also throw some carrots, celery and onion in the bottom of the bag so the drippings take on an amazing flavor to make the gravy.
  • I only eat the turkey, not cook it. But I know my dad brines it from the night before. He rubs butter and seasonings under the skin. 
  • I brine it for a few days, then rub a compound butter under the skin, put halved apples, onions and lemons in the cavity, and cook in an electric roaster. No basting.

• My entire family cooks the turkey in an oven bag. The turkey always comes out moist and tender, plus has the bonus of cooking faster at 350 and less clean up. We rub the turkey under and over the skin with oil, season the skin with lemon and garlic, and stuff the cavity with onion, garlic, and lemon. I also throw some carrots, celery and onion in the bottom of the bag so the drippings take on an amazing flavor to make the gravy.
    I haven't made my own turkey but at our company's annual Thanksgiving, we have some employees that make the Turkey using this similar method. The oven bags keep the turkey super moist! This year the turkey was catered and not as good.
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought a Trader Joes turkey which, if I am to believe the packaging, is pre-brined. We'll see how it turns out.

• I am like @Maggie0829. I always keep it really simple when I am roasting a turkey or chicken.

I will stuff the bird with onions, oranges, lemons, and lots of garlic. Then I will squeeze some lemon/orange juice under and over the skin. I then rub butter under and over the skin. Season with salt, pepper, and sage. Then roast.

I do like to add lots of carrots, onions and celery to the pan along with chicken stock to make tasty gravy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am like @Maggie0829. I always keep it really simple when I am roasting a turkey or chicken.

I will stuff the bird with onions, oranges, lemons, and lots of garlic. Then I will squeeze some lemon/orange juice under and over the skin. I then rub butter under and over the skin. Season with salt, pepper, and sage. Then roast.

I do like to add lots of carrots, onions and celery to the pan along with chicken stock to make tasty gravy.

Oh yes, this is money.

• Cooking the turkey whole, I use the bag. Last year and this year I got it butterflied and dry brined. NOM!

imageimage

• I'm so hungry!!!!!!!!!  I'm ready for tomorrow NOW!!!!!!!!

Tell me more about saffron. . . what does it taste like?  Is it a strong taste, like some curries are?  I eat a lot of different types of cuisine, but I'm not sure I have had many dishes with saffron.

No regular stuffing to go with the turkey and rice?!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Whenever I roast a turkey or chicken I keep it super simple.  I dry off the bird, slather it with soft butter, salt and pepper (inside and out) and roast according to the directions on the wrapping.  I also add just a touch of chicken stock in the roasting pan as well.  If I want the skin to crisp then I keep it uncovered for like the last 45 minutes to an hour.  Then I let it sit, covered, while I get the rest of my stuff cooked/warmed up.

I am not a fan of lots of brine (dry or wet) or crazy seasonings or glazes.  Just give me a simple roasted turkey with homemade gravy from the drippings and I am a happy camper.

I'm with Maggie's approach. My Achilles heel is overcooking so I try to get one with a built in thermometer and then just cross-check it with mine. I've got enough to handle with just trying to get it at the right temp and not worry about glazes and other fancy stuff. I think it's about an hour for every three pounds...
  • My mom always makes me stick my hand in the turkey.  It's traumatizing.  

• My mom always makes me stick my hand in the turkey.  It's traumatizing.  

Lol, my favourite part of the turkey making is wrenching the neck out while FI watches and squeals like a girl.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MagicInk said:
    My dad is making it. He uses an oven. I'm in charge of bringing some booze and making the boozy punch. My family understands my strengths.
    This literally made me LOL.

• We got a roaster this year, so I'm waiting to see how this turns out.  The thing says you can bake cakes in it too.  FI will be making the ham and the bird because I don't want to kill anybody with my cooking.

• MagicInk said:
    My dad is making it. He uses an oven. I'm in charge of bringing some booze and making the boozy punch. My family understands my strengths.
    This literally made me LOL.
    I was WRONG!!! Usually he uses an oven, this year he's using their smoker! We're having hickory-smoked bourbon turkey! 

I'm kind of excited. Because Bourbon makes me excitied.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I'm so hungry!!!!!!!!!  I'm ready for tomorrow NOW!!!!!!!!

Tell me more about saffron. . . what does it taste like?  Is it a strong taste, like some curries are?  I eat a lot of different types of cuisine, but I'm not sure I have had many dishes with saffron.

I can't describe it. It's amazing in its own very special way. If you've ever had paella then you've tried it. To some degree, it's a bit like paprika in its complexity, but not in its taste. It is a little bit bitter, but also sweet at the same time. It's a mellow taste, it isn't overwhelming like truffle is, it's just like you added a little bit of heaven to a dish. It completely transforms something simple like rice to a delicacy with depth and complexity. The smell is just heavenly. It's earthy and exotic and pungent, just opening the case sends the smell everywhere and that is my favorite part of using it.

If you've never seen it, it's the dried stigmas that are taken out of the flower by hand, one at a time, which is why it is so expensive. It's these tiny red threads. It takes 70,00-250,000 flowers to make one lb of the stuff. You don't need a lot- just a pinch, which is good, because it is literally more expensive than gold. We're blessed that my MIL gets it cheap and sends it to us. Otherwise using it would probably double the price of the turkey!
  • FI is cooking the turkey. He's doing it this way:http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/apple-bourbon-turkey-michael-symon

It sounds fantastic so I hope it's really good. This is our first time cooking Thanksgiving for our families. Fingers crossed we don't start any fires or give anyone food poising. 
  • SBmini said:

I can't describe it. It's amazing in its own very special way. If you've ever had paella then you've tried it. To some degree, it's a bit like paprika in its complexity, but not in its taste. It is a little bit bitter, but also sweet at the same time. It's a mellow taste, it isn't overwhelming like truffle is, it's just like you added a little bit of heaven to a dish. It completely transforms something simple like rice to a delicacy with depth and complexity. The smell is just heavenly. It's earthy and exotic and pungent, just opening the case sends the smell everywhere and that is my favorite part of using it.

If you've never seen it, it's the dried stigmas that are taken out of the flower by hand, one at a time, which is why it is so expensive. It's these tiny red threads. It takes 70,00-250,000 flowers to make one lb of the stuff. You don't need a lot- just a pinch, which is good, because it is literally more expensive than gold. We're blessed that my MIL gets it cheap and sends it to us. Otherwise using it would probably double the price of the turkey!
    You wrote this like food erotica. I like it.

• SBmini said:

I had paella once!

Nice description!  I may have to get some after the holidays and experiment with it a bit.  Does your MIL get it from overseas when she goes?  Or does she have a place she buys online that she can recommend?  How about a brand I can look for at one of the local spice shops?

Saffron comes from crocuses I believe.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• BRINE! I did this for the first time last year and have never had a turkey come out so succulent. I don't think I'll ever do it any other way.

My turkey is currently brining: One 18lb bird in a giant bag with 3 gallons of brine (1/2 cup salt and 1/2 sugar to each gallon of water), plus 2 lemons (sliced), 8 cloves of garlic, and a large bunch of fresh herbs - thyme, rosemary, sage. Brine in refrigerator for up to 24 hours, or 2 hours per pound for smaller birds.

Tomorrow morning it will come out of the brine, get dried off with paper towels, and will roast at 350 degrees for 15 minutes per pound.
  • SBmini said:

I had paella once!

Nice description!  I may have to get some after the holidays and experiment with it a bit.  Does your MIL get it from overseas when she goes?  Or does she have a place she buys online that she can recommend?  How about a brand I can look for at one of the local spice shops?

Saffron comes from crocuses I believe.
    She lives in Los Angeles- she goes to the Armenian district downtown and gets it whole sale. But my cousin was saying that Costco has it cheap. There's no specific brand to look for. Sometimes the grocery store will sell it in little jars. My MIL typically gets it in less fancy containers, however. 

Everything turned out fantastic at my house! The turkey took a little longer to cook, but that was fine. It ended up being really tender and juicy, I'm glad I cooked it at 250. I took the drippings and added it to both the rice stuffing and made gravy. It was seriously the best gravy I ever had. The sugar I put on the turkey made it sweet, and the saffron made it yellow. DH made fantastic biscuits and a friend came over early and helped me with the potatoes and pie. Everything turned out great, and everyone was happy. Did everyone elses' meals go well?
  • My surefire turkey is to go to my Mom's house.  Or SIL.  But Mom is the best.  This weekend makes me wish I was American so I could eat turkey.  

• We marinated ours overnight in apple cider. It was stuffed with apples, carrots, sage, thyme, rosemary, onions, celery, and a touch of cumin. FI has his own special spice dry rub for the skin. It baked at 350 for an hour an a half with the bird upside down. Then we flipped it, injected it with the drippings, and cooked it another two and a half hours. The skin was crisp and golden, and the meat was very moist.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards