Wedding Etiquette Forum

bridesmaid dresses

2»

Re: bridesmaid dresses

• edited November 2014
    scribe95 said: I liked having matching dresses as well. It's a personal thing and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Anymore on here if a bride doesn't say "wear whatever you want" she is being unreasonable and I disagree. Now I could care less about shoes, hair or where we bought it.

ETF: broken box

I think the reason for that line of thinking is that matching dresses can't possibly be flattering to everyone unless they're all of matching build and body type, and how often does that happen? Maybe Mary is uncomfortable in strapless. Perhaps Jane looks great in an empire waist but it makes Sally look pregnant even though she's not. And so on. The comfort of one's friends should come before making them all uniform for pictures. I also personally find wedding pictures a lot more interesting when people
    aren't dressed all alike. I'm a fan of the non-matching trend and really hope it manages to overtake matchy-matchy bridesmaids forever.
  • scribe95 said:
    I liked having matching dresses as well. It's a personal thing and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Anymore on here if a bride doesn't say "wear whatever you want" she is being unreasonable and I disagree. Now I could care less about shoes, hair or where we bought it.

I think the reason for that line of thinking is that matching dresses can't possibly be flattering to everyone unless they're all of matching build and body type, and how often does that happen? Maybe Mary is uncomfortable in strapless. Perhaps Jane looks great in an empire waist but it makes Sally look pregnant even though she's not. And so on. The comfort of one's friends should come before making them all uniform for pictures. I also personally find wedding pictures a lot more interesting when people aren't dressed all alike. I'm a fan of the non-matching trend and really hope it manages to overtake matchy-matchy bridesmaids forever.

I like matching, but I also understand what you said, so I found a couple styles from J.Crew so it would be flattering on everyone (and okay'd it by everyone).  While I did pay, I certainly didn't want to put them in anything they would be uncomfortable in. 

I don't care about shoes or hair, but I care a little about nails.  I'm just going to ask them to either wear light nail polish or no nail polish.  If it's a big deal, go bright.  Or if they show up in bright or dark polish, whatever.  But I care enough to mention it ahead of time, and offer to pay for manicures before the rehearsal dinner.  I'll also have extra nail polish in the room where we're getting ready.  But like I said - if they show up in dark polish, whatever.  Wear it.

• scribe95 said:
    I liked having matching dresses as well. It's a personal thing and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Anymore on here if a bride doesn't say "wear whatever you want" she is being unreasonable and I disagree. Now I could care less about shoes, hair or where we bought it.

I think the reason for that line of thinking is that matching dresses can't possibly be flattering to everyone unless they're all of matching build and body type, and how often does that happen? Maybe Mary is uncomfortable in strapless. Perhaps Jane looks great in an empire waist but it makes Sally look pregnant even though she's not. And so on. The comfort of one's friends should come before making them all uniform for pictures. I also personally find wedding pictures a lot more interesting when people aren't dressed all alike. I'm a fan of the non-matching trend and really hope it manages to overtake matchy-matchy bridesmaids forever. This.  I don't think people that want to have a single dress style for all their BM's are being unreasonable, I just think they are being unrealistic and a bit out dated.

I have been in about 10 weddings and in every one of them all the BM's had to wear the exact same style of dress and there was at least one girl in each bridal party that looked terrible in the chosen dress. . . and you can tell from their strained, forced smiles that they knew they looked bad and were super uncomfortable.

I have attended another ~20 weddings and the majority of those all had BM's in matching dress styles, and again there was almost always at least one poor BM that the dress did not flatter or fit well, and she was uncomfortable as hell.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• dcbride86 said:
    scribe95 said:

I think the reason for that line of thinking is that matching dresses can't possibly be flattering to everyone unless they're all of matching build and body type, and how often does that happen? Maybe Mary is uncomfortable in strapless. Perhaps Jane looks great in an empire waist but it makes Sally look pregnant even though she's not. And so on. The comfort of one's friends should come before making them all uniform for pictures. I also personally find wedding pictures a lot more interesting when people aren't dressed all alike. I'm a fan of the non-matching trend and really hope it manages to overtake matchy-matchy bridesmaids forever.

I like matching, but I also understand what you said, so I found a couple styles from J.Crew so it would be flattering on everyone (and okay'd it by everyone).  While I did pay, I certainly didn't want to put them in anything they would be uncomfortable in. 

I don't care about shoes or hair, but I care a little about nails.  I'm just going to ask them to either wear light nail polish or no nail polish.  If it's a big deal, go bright.  Or if they show up in bright or dark polish, whatever.  But I care enough to mention it ahead of time, and offer to pay for manicures before the rehearsal dinnerI'll also have extra nail polish in the room where we're getting ready.  But like I said - if they show up in dark polish, whatever.  Wear it.

Lol, why on earth?  No one is going to notice what color their nails are.  Literally no one.  In fact, no one will notice what color *your* nails are unless they ask to see your rings.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards