Wedding Etiquette Forum

Letting vendors know they haven't been chosen?

Hi everyone,

Until yesterday, the issue of having to choose between vendors hadn't come up because the only thing we had booked was our venue, and we only had one choice for that. But then yesterday I booked our caterer (yay!). I was in touch with a few different companies. Mostly our conversations didn't go very far, but one other company drew up an estimate for me. Is there etiquette for informing vendors we've chosen to go in a different direction? Does it apply only if they've drawn up an estimate, or if they've held the date for you temporarily? Any advice for the best way to navigate this would be very welcome. Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Letting vendors know they haven't been chosen?

• I would say that you should inform any vendor you've contacted if they've responded back. You can say something like this:

XYZ Catering,

Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with us/provide us a quote/hold our date. At this time, we have decided to go with another catering company. We will certainly be in contact if our plans change. 

Thank you again for your time,
    flutteringinftmeyers

Usually this will be met with a very short "ok thanks" from the vendor. They'll appreciate that you told them up front so they aren't wasting their time with someone who isn't interested.

• I would say that you should inform any vendor you've contacted if they've responded back. You can say something like this:

XYZ Catering,

Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with us/provide us a quote/hold our date. At this time, we have decided to go with another catering company. We will certainly be in contact if our plans change. 

Thank you again for your time,
    flutteringinftmeyers

Usually this will be met with a very short "ok thanks" from the vendor. They'll appreciate that you told them up front so they aren't wasting their time with someone who isn't interested.

Agree with keeping it short and not 'explaining yourself' as to why you going with someone else. Simply thank them for their time and let them know that you've decided to go a different direction.
  • Yeah, I would just thank them for their time and tell them you're going in another direction. No explanation necessary. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards