Illinois-Chicago

Loop Wedding - day of transportation?

Hi there! We're getting married downtown (Pazzo's at 311) and will be doing photos before the ceremony (no gap). I'd like to visit a couple different locations downtown and maybe in Lincoln Park -- estimate that photos will take about 2-2.5 hours with driving time. I've been looking into limo companies and they all seem to have 4-hour minimums and it's pricey -- $1,400-$1,500 with tax and tip. Curious to hear what others are doing for day-of transportation and if there are any more economic alternatives. :) Thanks! 

Re: Loop Wedding - day of transportation?

• KayDeeeKayDeee member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    How many people are you toting around and how far apart are your locations and how complicated is your dress? 

If you have a smallish group, you could just call a couple of Uber black car SUVs.  Our reception restaurant had a shuttle we used for some of our photos but we used Uber a few times to get around downtown on our wedding day. We didn't want to sign up for the 4 hour commitment with a limo vendor because we only had a couple of stops so It worked out well for us, we probably spent around $200 total but we did have a small wedding party, locations were not too far apart and my dress did not have a long train. 

It's not for everyone, but just a suggestion. Good luck!
  • OP, We did exactly what you are planning on doing. We did a first look. Then hopped in buses and took pictures at North Avenue beach and the Franklin Street Bridge. We then had the buses take us to the church in Lincoln Park and then to the reception ( approx. 30 min ceremony and no gap) It totalled 4 hours, so we got our monies worth.

Can you look into limos instead of buses? Maybe a couple of really nice family members could drive you in big SUVs?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd either plan for 4 hours like KatWAG said or scrap the entire idea of toting people beyond the loop. 311 is in an amazing spot as it stands. You could go to the nearby Chase building and take photos in front of that massive sunken fountain.  You've got the area in front of the Sears Tower. You have bridges over the river.  
    We did one location for photos and it still took us two hours with a small group and about 2 blocks walking.  
    Are the trolleys any cheaper, by the way?
    Also, Lincoln Park in the warm months on a weekend is a clusterfuck. I see multiple bridal parties every Saturday taking pictures there with their limos contributing to traffic blockages.  Another suggestion may be to do your engagement photos in the park and the wedding photos in the Loop (unless that ship has already sailed).  

• I'd either plan for 4 hours like KatWAG said or scrap the entire idea of toting people beyond the loop. 311 is in an amazing spot as it stands. You could go to the nearby Chase building and take photos in front of that massive sunken fountain.  You've got the area in front of the Sears Tower. You have bridges over the river.  
    We did one location for photos and it still took us two hours with a small group and about 2 blocks walking.  
    Are the trolleys any cheaper, by the way?
    Also, Lincoln Park in the warm months on a weekend is a clusterfuck. I see multiple bridal parties every Saturday taking pictures there with their limos contributing to traffic blockages.  Another suggestion may be to do your engagement photos in the park and the wedding photos in the Loop (unless that ship has already sailed).  
    Ditto all of this. You could also head up Michigan Ave for a shot in the median (with Tribune Tower, Hancock, etc. behind you). 

Wrong way, but you get the idea:

I'd maybe get some shots in the Rookery and in front of the Board of Trade too.

If you really want some "natural" shots with trees and things, it would probably be easier to head to Grant Park. It will still be sort of crowded, but it'll be much faster getting in and out, and you'll be close to Pazzo's.

• just wanted to update that we ended up going with a limo. :) 

we would have loved to do grant park (we actually live across the street from it, so super convenient) but our wedding is the weekend of the taste so that is out. 

I know LP will be crowded but hopefully not as swarmed as grant/millennium park during the taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards