Getting in Shape

Anyone doing Crossfit?

We haven't set a date yet, but we are looking at September/October 2015, I'd like to lose 25-30 lbs or drop 3-4 inches. I started Crossfit in early October and am feeling great and definitely feel things "firming up", but I haven't lost a pound or more than a half inch. We started the paleo diet a few weeks ago and that also doesn't seem to be doing anything. It definitely has helped cut out my sugar cravings, but I think that snacking on the high calorie nuts is screwing over my weight loss goals.

I just worry that I am going to bust my butt doing Crossfit for the next 6 months and be in the exact same spot. Has anyone had success doing Crossfit and/or paleo diet? Does it happen eventually?    

Re: Anyone doing Crossfit?

• Keep in mind that when you first start really working out that you tend to either gain weight or not really lose a lot because you are building muscle and muscle weighs more then fat.

Also you need to go by how you feel overall.  If you are feeling better and feel that things are starting to "firm up" then that is all that really matters.  Just keep with it.  It takes time to see large changes.  I read a great workout inspiration quote the other day.  It said that it takes you 4 weeks to notice a change in your body, 8 weeks for friends and family and 12 weeks for the rest of the world.

• I follow a Paleo/Primal diet. You still need to be cognizant of what you are putting in your body even if it falls under Paleo approved. Eating Paleo is not an excuse to eat all the bacon and nuts you want. Focus on non-starchy veggies and quality proteins. If you are eating enough protein and fat at your meals, you shouldn't need to snack that much.
  • Thanks! I've been doing straight Paleo for 2 weeks now. I'm thinking I may switch over to purely counting calories as it seems like I will see more results/feel more in control. Paleo has been great in forcing me to give up my diet coke addiction and stop eating things with sugar/refined grains etc, but I have been filling up on nuts because my work cafeteria doesn't have many satisfying Paleo options and I'm too lazy/disorganized to plan my meals ahead of time. Since, I am trying to make this way of eating a way of life versus a diet, I think I will have better luck with calorie restrictions.    
  • Thanks! I've been doing straight Paleo for 2 weeks now. I'm thinking I may switch over to purely counting calories as it seems like I will see more results/feel more in control. Paleo has been great in forcing me to give up my diet coke addiction and stop eating things with sugar/refined grains etc, but I have been filling up on nuts because my work cafeteria doesn't have many satisfying Paleo options and I'm too lazy/disorganized to plan my meals ahead of time. Since, I am trying to make this way of eating a way of life versus a diet, I think I will have better luck with calorie restrictions.    
    Paleo isn't meant to just be a diet but a way of life. There are tons of great easy Paleo snack options that aren't nuts and are easy to bring to work. Veggies in all kinds of variety (chips, fresh, with a side of guac to dip), berries, beef jerky (super easy to make on your own and much cheaper and better for you than buying in the store), Greek yogurt (if you are doing dairy), etc.

I also do count calories/carbs/protein in conjunction with Paleo because it can be easy to get carried away with things like nuts (as you have already discovered) and Paleo-friendly carbs like sweet potatoes. 

Honestly, I think it is far easier to lose and maintain your weight eating Paleo than following the standard dieting advice of eating low-fat and purely calorie counting. I've seen more results in the last 2 years of my life since I went Paleo than I ever did before, and I workout less than I used to. I've been able to maintain my weight very easily without having to kill myself at the gym.
  • No matter how you eat you need to be aware of what portions you are ingesting and how much of what kind of food you are ingesting.  Eating a half pound of pasta regardless if it is whole wheat, gluten free, or paired with veggies is not good.  Same with eating 5 avocados or a whole can of nuts.  Just because something is "good" for you does not mean you can eat a crap ton of it.

The best way to eat, IMO, is balance and moderation.  If you want pizza then have it, but only eat two slices and make sure to pair it with a nice substantial salad full of fresh veggies.  Eat what you want but watch how much you are eating.  I think restricting yourself just to lose a few pounds and not because it follows a dietary need or religious/personal belief is not beneficial and will lead to disappointment.  So watch what and how much you eat but also remember that food is meant to be enjoyed as well as used to feed your body and give you energy.  So if you aren't enjoying what you are eating then what is the point?

• No matter how you eat you need to be aware of what portions you are ingesting and how much of what kind of food you are ingesting.  Eating a half pound of pasta regardless if it is whole wheat, gluten free, or paired with veggies is not good.  Same with eating 5 avocados or a whole can of nuts.  Just because something is "good" for you does not mean you can eat a crap ton of it.

The best way to eat, IMO, is balance and moderation.  If you want pizza then have it, but only eat two slices and make sure to pair it with a nice substantial salad full of fresh veggies.  Eat what you want but watch how much you are eating.  I think restricting yourself just to lose a few pounds and not because it follows a dietary need or religious/personal belief is not beneficial and will lead to disappointment.  So watch what and how much you eat but also remember that food is meant to be enjoyed as well as used to feed your body and give you energy.  So if you aren't enjoying what you are eating then what is the point?
    QFT.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards