Wedding Etiquette Forum

Anyone ever do this? :/

edited November 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
My FMIL has a lot of close friends, and many of these friends have been really generous to us -- sending us engagement gifts, (pre-)shower gifts, etc. I have met several of these friends, but usually I'm being introduced to them in a large group at a big social gathering, and have to really struggle to keep them straight.

Well, two of them have the same first name (I'll call them Amy for the heck of it), and I just sent a thank you note to "Amy A" instead of "Amy B." WHOOPS! Even worse is that "Amy A" had sent us a gift about a month ago, and I had recorded it in our spreadsheet, and I still messed up!

I will see "Amy A" this week at Thanksgiving. My FI and I can't remember if I've met her before; I *have* met "Amy B" a few times and was thinking of her in my mind when I wrote the thank you note for her gift... but then sent to the wrong one.

My FMIL assured me that "Amy A" wasn't mad, but I'm really embarrassed. Has anyone ever done this? My FMIL, who is awesome, told "Amy A" that I just got mixed up, which is true. Not sure what I should say on Thanksgiving to "Amy A" other than to apologize and say I got mixed up. (I'm going to have my FI check all TY notes that he doesn't write himself from now on....) Anything else I should do?

(And yes, I've already written a new note to the correct gift-giver.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anyone ever do this? :/

• I'd tell her, "Thank you so much for your lovely gift.  I'm so sorry I didn't thank you for it earlier-I thought I had but by mistake I failed to do that.  FI and I want you to know how much we appreciate it."
  • It couldn't hurt to acknowledge in person. Something like "Hi, thanks again for your gift. I can't believe I made that mistake!" Then you'll both laugh at it and never think about it again. Sounds like it wasn't too big a deal!
    This.  Shit happens and people make mistakes.  At this point all you can do is laugh about it.

• I got a shower invitation to NotMyFirstName MyLastName, for my nephew's fiancée's shower. The bride's mom was planning the parties, and I didn't expect her to know everybody, as we had never even met. No offense taken.

I felt stupid myself, not knowing the last name of my nephew's girlfriend.

Doesn't matter anymore, the marriage didn't last.

• It couldn't hurt to acknowledge in person. Something like "Hi, thanks again for your gift. I can't believe I made that mistake!" Then you'll both laugh at it and never think about it again. Sounds like it wasn't too big a deal!
    This.  Shit happens and people make mistakes.  At this point all you can do is laugh about it.
    Agree with this.  People make mistakes all the time.  Kind, polite people acknowledge their mistakes, apologize warmly and move on.
  • I accidentally put the thank you card to my grandma in my sister in laws envelope and vice versa. My grandma told me she thought she got the wrong thank you. I sent both of them new thank you cards and we all laughed about it. It's not a big deal so don't treat it like one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards