Honeymoon Discussions

The Amalfi Coast (Italy)

Specifically Ravello... has anyone been here? If so, how was transportation? If we fly in to Naples is it best to just rent a car? Where did you stay? 

TIA! 

Re: The Amalfi Coast (Italy)

• I'm replying because I see you haven't gotten any responses :(

I haven't been to Ravello or the Coast, but I've been to other places in Italy. From what I can tell, renting a car is ill-advised.  I'd recommend at least a taxi or private car from the airport, but see if that area has good public transportation- buses and trains are quite plentiful in a lot of Europe.

Did you get a Frommers or Fodors book? I find those so helpful. We checked out both from the library when planning our Italy trip and I know they had quite a bit on the Coast. 

• Thank you! 
  • I second the not driving.  When we were in Italy, we were told the worst drivers were in Naples.  And if you don't speak/read the language, I'm sure that makes it even worse!   Have you checked out the TripAdvisor forums?  Chances are, someone has asked your question.  I find those boards so helpful when planning a trip.  I have no other advice, though I'm jealous.....we didn't get to the Amalfi Coast on our trip.  
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I second the not driving.  When we were in Italy, we were told the worst drivers were in Naples.  And if you don't speak/read the language, I'm sure that makes it even worse!   Have you checked out the TripAdvisor forums?  Chances are, someone has asked your question.  I find those boards so helpful when planning a trip.  I have no other advice, though I'm jealous.....we didn't get to the Amalfi Coast on our trip.  
    Thank you! I've looked at Trip Advisor a little bit but I haven't gotten too far into the research yet. We will definitely not be renting a car! 
  • I stayed in Ravello last year and we hired a private driver to get us from the Naples airport to the town.  The drive up the mountain was CRAZY and I have no idea how the driver managed to stay on the narrow road and not drive off the cliff.  Highly recommend going this route instead of renting a car and trying on your own.  Ravello itself is a walking town (no cars allowed on the streets) and we took the public bus to Amalfi and a boat ride to Positano.  It's pretty easy to get around the area without a car.  If you do any "day trips" I'd also recommend a driver.  We booked a tour of wine country through our travel agency.
  • I haven't been to Ravello, but I took the Circumvesuviana local train from Naples to Sorrento, then taxi to Positano.  It worked out really well and wasn't too pricey.  At the Naples train station you just have to walk like you're on a mission and don't wear any jewelry.  Once you get to Sorrento it's super safe.

If you're including Rome there's also a bus between Sorrento and Rome called the Marozzi.  I took it on the way back and it was great, safe, also not too expensive. 

Beautiful area - have fun! 

• I haven't done Amalfi Coast but we've driven from Cinque Terre, through Genoa to Florence and then Venice for our 1st year anniversary trip and it was incredible - very drivable (best part was going to the gas stations and getting incredible espresso shots inside).  

Also, if you're looking for a travel site that makes it easy (and cheap) to plan a trip with multiple destinations, I would check out: Vamo - https://www.vamo.com/friend-invite/z8az55 

Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards