Wedding Etiquette Forum

Uninvited via Facebook...still obligated to send a gift?

Hello! 

I ran into a bit of an etiquette conundrum today.  My husband, parents, and I were uninvited via Facebook messenger to my mother from a wedding (technically, it's a vow renewal) we were due to attend on a weekday afternoon.  The bride dropped the word that semi-formal attire, which per her conversation with my mother, was a requirement of elegant dresses for all ladies and suits for gentleman.  Now, I am in a wheelchair and dresses are difficult given my personal physical limitations.  My wedding dress required 6 people to get on my in a herculean effort, so it's not at all what I considered wearing. I had an appropriate dressy top and pants selected that I wore to another wedding.  My husband had equally dressy attired planned, however, not specifically a suit as his does not fit appropriately and he is losing a significant amount of weight and wishes to wait before making a purchase, etc.   My mother voiced her concerns as she herself had another dress outfit selected, but does not own a dress appropriate for the season (as she prefers pant outfits for formal events).  

Fast forward to today, we received condescending email implying that if we could not dress to their specifications, we should advise them now so that they could reduce their catering counts.

Note the invitation did not state required attire nor did the design or appearance denote a semi-formal wedding.

QOTD:  Do I still send the gift that has already been purchased?

Re: Uninvited via Facebook...still obligated to send a gift?

• I wouldn't. I'd just take no notice of this bitch's vow renewal at all. Donate the gift to a worthy charity.
  • What a bitch!

I would NOT be sending them gift.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks everyone!  I think it was the appalling Facebook Messenger email to my mother that was my last straw.  I invited my guests because I wanted them to share in our special day, not because they were wearing specific clothes.   

I'll return the gift and move on!
    That is how good hosts/hostesses feel.  We invite people because we WANT them there.  We do not care what they wear or if they bring a gift.   it's not something we think about.  THEIR comfort is what was care about.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I can't even. Glad you'very decided to return the gift op.

Anniversary
  • Holy shit. What a bitch! I'd return the gift and start reconsidering that relationship as well. 
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    What disgusting people.  Get them something from here: 

• levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Hell no.

If you want the gift, keep it for yourself.  Or return it.  Or give it to someone else.  Anything except giving it to them.  

Fuck them and their unconscionable rudeness.  

I can't even right now.  

Edit:  I see you have decided to return the gift.  Good.  I'm still ragey for you though.  

• auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I'd contact the makers of Cards Against Humanity, tell them the situation, and ask if they had any of their Black Friday packages left.
    But that's a great game. Don't give these people anything fun. :P

ETA: Ah. haha. Googled what that package was. Yes. Do that.
  • This bride takes the motherfucking cake. She deserves a trophy for Most Awful Person, sculpted from the finest fish guts, animal diarrhea, and rancid fungus.

I've read a lot of rude things on here, but hot damn.  I'm speechless.  You're better off without those horrible people in your life!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I've read of some pretty outrageous behavior here, but I think this is the worst yet. Return that gift, spend the money on something nice for yourself, and never speak to this person again! 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm not normally a bitchy person, but this bride's attitude would make me respond I have the "appropriate" attire and plan on attending only to no show so they have to eat the costs.
    I've been working on crafting a response to the nasty gram they sent.  As soon as my mom told me that the Bride would have to speak to the Groom about this, I knew it was only a matter of time before we were uninvited.  So many etiquette breaches with this renewal, that they insist is a wedding, that I half expected this to happen!  

My poor mother was in such a shock at the comments that she certainly didn't get to explain properly.  Not that any explanation was required.  
  • I'm so sorry you had to deal with this!  These are just horrible human beings.  Do not send them a gift, and hopefully you won't have to deal with them anymore.
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm not normally a bitchy person, but this bride's attitude would make me respond I have the "appropriate" attire and plan on attending only to no show so they have to eat the costs.
    I've been working on crafting a response to the nasty gram they sent.  As soon as my mom told me that the Bride would have to speak to the Groom about this, I knew it was only a matter of time before we were uninvited.  So many etiquette breaches with this renewal, that they insist is a wedding, that I half expected this to happen!  

My poor mother was in such a shock at the comments that she certainly didn't get to explain properly.  Not that any explanation was required.  
    Give your mother a hug. Tell her how awesome she is, and that terrible people aren't worth caring about. Then take her to dinner with the money you get back from returning that loser's gift. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, but at least now you know there's no need to waste any more time being friends with this "bride." 
  • NO NO NO NO they do NOT deserve anything from you. Mofos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Who ARE these people and why are they in your (or your mom's) circle of friends? Unless there's a compelling reason to continue associating with them, or this behavior is really atypical and caused by wedding-induced temporary insanity, then I'd promptly send them a Facebook message uninviting them from your life...
  • What the fuck.  I can't believe how many people seem to just not have that thing inside them that makes them feel bad when they're being absolutely horrible.  Seriously, how the fuck did she not immediately vomit upon re-reading her own message?  

Gross.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards