Not Engaged Yet

Has anyone here had sinus surgery?

I went to the ENT this morning because I have another sinus infection, and he said he wants to do surgery. We've scheduled it for Dec 19, and I'm hoping that I'll be in decent shape for Christmas. I'm not supposed to travel for two weeks, so it looks like I'll have to cancel my after-Christmas trips to see family and friends, but we'll see. Anyway, has anyone ever had this procedure done? If so, what was the recovery like?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Has anyone here had sinus surgery?

• ::::raises hand::::

I had it done about 6 years ago. I used to get 6-8 sinus infections a year so I finally went to the ENT who, after running a bunch of tests and evaluations, declared I had more debris in my sinuses than he had ever seen before. I also had a deviated septum but as long as he was able to get the tools up and to the right place for the procedure, he wasn't going to touch that (I was grateful). 

The surgery itself was pretty quick. As with an surgery where you're knocked out, I fell asleep and then woke up after what felt like 2 minutes later. I had a hard time getting my heart rate back down to normal so I had to stay for a a few extra hours. 

The recovery wasn't as bad as I expected, it's more uncomfortable than it is painful. For about a week, it'll feel like you have stoppers stuffed up your nostrils and you won't be able to breathe out of your nose AT ALL. This was pretty tough for me and I had a hard time sleeping because of it. I forget what medicine they gave me for the pain but whatever it was made me really itchy and after the first few days of taking it, it started keeping me awake. I had to call my doctor and have it switches so just be alert about that. 

This part may be TMI for anyone else that's reading. 

About a week-10 days after my surgery, I felt like I needed to blow something out of my nose. I was trying to be gentle and took my time and eventually, something came out. It was the most giant booger mass creature I've ever seen in my entire life. It look like a giant clam. It was absolutely disgusting but unbelievably amazing all at the same time because I could breathe better than I had been able to IN YEARS. 

• not me (thankfully), but I think @Swazzle has.
  • @Swazzle - HA! I'm so glad I kept reading. Giant clam booger stories are my favorite!

• @Swazzle I just died laughing at my desk reading about your giant booger. That's amazing!

Thank you for all of the info! I was a little leery when the ENT said there would be minimal pain. When I had my gum graft, I was told there would be little to no pain, and they lied through their teeth, so I wasn't sure what to expect with the sinuses. So basically a week of mouth breathing/"sleeping" sitting up, and then amazing, holy-moly-this-is-what-it's-like-to-breathe-properly results? I'd say that's worth it.

• Paging @southernpeach89 because of all of her sinus adventures.

• @AlPacina - I will never forget the morning I blew my nose and the most gigantic booger came shooting out of my nostril. I felt it hit the tissue & looked, and I so badly wanted to share it with someone, because I couldn't imagine that this thing actually came out of my head. I was certain it was actually a hunk of my brain. 
    You definitely could have shared it with me. ESPECIALLY if it looked like a giant clam.

• @eilis1228 - I'm so glad to help! If you think of anything else, I'll do my best to answer! If I had to have the surgery all over again, I would definitely do it. That's how "not bad" it was.

The giant clam booger was, 100% not exaggerating at all, the size of a half dollar. It was mildly terrifying that something so large could come out of my nose.

• Did anybody watch Ren & Stimpy - Nose Goblins

I read through this because I would like H to further look into it, but he's a big wuss!!

Anniversary
  • eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    @Swazzle I'm sure I'll think of other questions as the date approaches. The ENT was very specific about the procedure and the recovery, but it was a little overwhelming. I'm just glad they were able to get me in so quickly. I kinda hope I end up with a giant clam booger. That would be so epic!

@GoldenPenguin I feel that way with giant boogers and giant poos. It's so gross, but I'm always kind of proud of those things hahaha

• Ah yes the glory of sinus surgery. Let me tell you that the recovery sucks but I've heard that it can vary depending on the person. For myself, I was sick the first two days after the surgery because of all the blood going down the back of the throat and I couldn't taste anything. I had to breathe out of my mouth for a good while and I wasn't able to get my nose wet because of an additional surgery I had in the process of getting my sinuses cleared. 

It's a great thing to do because you will feel sooooo much better afterwards but the recovery is the SUCK! I'm also a baby when it comes to my nose because I've had sooo many issues with it. It's well worth it though.
  • This thread makes me want to blow my nose and pray a giant booger comes out. It would feel SO GOOD.

• @southernpeach89 Oh wow, that sounds pretty bad. How many sinus/nose surgeries have you had? I hadn't even considered blood going down my throat... gross. But everything's good now? 

• @eilis1228 -I've broken my nose probably around 4-5 times by the time I was 18 and I've had two surgeries on it for broken bones. The 2nd surgery I requested that I have my sinuses cleared since I was having frequent nose bleeds and I couldn't breathe through my nose very well anymore so my ENT cleared those out as well as perform some reconstructive surgery on my nose. The blood was probably more from my nose being messed with more than what you would expect from sinus surgery but I can't tell you 100% if you might experience nausea post surgery. 

Everything is fine now, my septum has shifted yet again but it's not so bad enough to need surgery, I can still breathe fine.
  • @southernpeach89 Holy crap! What a nightmare! I'm glad you're able to breathe normally now. I really hope you don't need another surgery in the future. Thanks for all the info on the recovery! Consensus seems to be that the recovery sucks but isn't unbearable, and it's all worth the pain the end. I'm developing a raging sinus headache as I type this, so the surgery sounds fantastic right now.

@GoldenPenguin hahahahaha I threaten FI with poop pics all the time! He said he'd divorce me if I ever follow through. :-P

• MadHops21MadHops21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    Late to the party, but when I was in HS (summer going into sophomore year), I had surgery to fix my deviated septum since it's basically blocks my left nostril and can't breath through it. My dad and I both had it done.

I had a sinus infection leading up to it, it was such a bad summer. I had to wear gauze strip under my nose and held up with tape going from cheek to cheek for 2 months while taking meds and spraying the inside of the nose. I went to school like that, too, blood and nose drip bleeding onto the gauze. Rumor went around I had no surgery, even though it didn't change it at all.

Still have deviated septum. Life is cruel. 

EDIT SP
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards