Flowers

Bouquets & Centerpieces

This may be a silly question but...is it possible to somehow use bouquets as centerpieces? Or does this not work logistically? 

I am trying to find a way to save on florist costs & also to re-purpose my bouquets as there will be 6 of them and we can't really think of any other way that we want to use them during the reception.

@maggie0829 - you used to be a floral designer, right? Ideas? 

Re: Bouquets & Centerpieces

• How many tables do you have?

It is completely possible to reuse them as centerpieces.  All you need is a nice vase to place them in. I would suggest that you maybe also add in some candles in various heights around the center vase plus some votives.  This is an inexpensive addition that will add an extra impact to your centerpieces.

Are you having a head table?  If so you can use them as decor across the table as well.  Or you could use them to help decorate the bar or the cake table.

And this bride used your bouquet as her sweet heart table centerpiece with some added candles...

• Oh good! I am going to ask my florist about this option. We are having 10 tables (no sweetheart table). Right now the BM bouquets are on the smaller size because of pricing, but if we could cut out the price of 6 centerpieces, we could make those bigger and use them on the tables instead hopefully! I definitely want lots of candles also. You just made my day :) 

For the cake table and bar I want to use bud vases with just one or two flowers in each (I'm thinking peach garden roses). Thanks @Maggie0829!
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

That's what I did. We had a total of 13 tables. My six bridesmaids bouquets did double duty as centerpieces and then I only had to pay for 7 additional arrangements. The venue coordinator gathered the bouquets as soon as we finished group pictures and my girls were free to take their bouquets/centerpieces home with them later that night. My sister did the exact same thing at her wedding and it worked out really well!

In the background you can see the "empty" tables. The bouquets were added before guests entered for dinner so nobody knew the difference.imageThis is an example of one of our low centerpieces. We had a couple candles on pillar holders and little votives scattered around it.image

ETA: I found a photo with an "empty" arrangement. The bouquet was later placed in the empty vase in the center.image

We didn't have a sweetheart or head table since my H and I ate a quick dinner before cocktail hour was finished. We kept my bouquet on display at our cake table instead.

• Fantastic! Here's another question - if we are doing first look & all of the photos before the ceremony (FI wants us to attend cocktail hour) will that affect the flowers when they're finally put into the centerpieces? Will they start to wilt or anything? I am clueless about the topic of flowers beyond being able to tell you what ones I like or don't like.
  • I think some flowers are super sensitive to going without water and that could be a problem but we didn't experience that. The centerpieces and bouquets we took home after the wedding lasted for over 2 weeks before they seriously started to wilt and look not so pretty. I think it's important to find a good quality florist who is going to provide super fresh flowers and also take really good care of them prior to your ceremony and reception so they don't lose any quality that day.

Here's our bridesmaids bouquets. One of my friends messaged me a week or so after our honeymoon that she had never had a bouquet last as long as ours had or hold up as well.image

• Absolutely, using your bouquets as centerpieces is a great idea! Here are a few more photos to inspire you. Best of luck in your wedding planning!

• Fantastic! Here's another question - if we are doing first look & all of the photos before the ceremony (FI wants us to attend cocktail hour) will that affect the flowers when they're finally put into the centerpieces? Will they start to wilt or anything? I am clueless about the topic of flowers beyond being able to tell you what ones I like or don't like.
    It really depends on the types of flowers used in the bouquets and also the weather and how long they are out of the water.  But when you aren't taking pictures just make sure that the bouquets are placed in vases with water and are somewhere cool.  Then just grab a paper towel and dab off the ends to keep from water dripping on dresses.

• I have seen bouquets used as centerpieces successfully in a wedding with a large WP. I think there were at least 8 bms. Good points above about trying to keep the flowers fresh. 
  • We used our to decorate our head table like the first picture on the thread. It was great because it did add decoration to the head table & it was a great way for the flowers to be put into water for the BM to be able to take them home and they were out of the way too.
  • I absolutely believe in re purposing your flowers from the ceremony and bouquets for the reception. Such a great way to save money. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards