Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Friend is getting married - not inviting SO?

Re: Friend is getting married - not inviting SO?

• Options
    I just texted her again (the first time was last night) just now, and said, "hiya, I'm really sorry but I won't be able to make it.  I hope everything goes really well, have a fabulous day."

I got back, "is this all over your BF?" (He's not a BF.  He's a partner.  A SO.  In my circle BF's are for dating and/or high-schoolers.  Calling a SO a BF is a very subtle slight on your relationship, you know, it's immature, childish, etc.  No offence meant to anyone who calls their SO their BF, I just don't like it, and it irked me)

I replied, "I'd love to come and support you, and, if the offer is still there, we [the church they're getting married in has plenty of room, so that's not an issue] would be glad to attend and support you at your ceremony.  However the reception we will be unable to attend, but thank you for the invitation."

I think that's fairly polite, right?  Her reply?

"Well, are you still helping me with (insert artsy projects here) or not? I can't believe you're causing this much fuss over your BF!"  I have not replied.  What do I say?! I want to be the mature one here.
  • Options
    I just texted her again (the first time was last night) just now, and said, "hiya, I'm really sorry but I won't be able to make it.  I hope everything goes really well, have a fabulous day."

I got back, "is this all over your BF?" (He's not a BF.  He's a partner.  A SO.  In my circle BF's are for dating and/or high-schoolers.  Calling a SO a BF is a very subtle slight on your relationship, you know, it's immature, childish, etc.  No offence meant to anyone who calls their SO their BF, I just don't like it, and it irked me)

I replied, "I'd love to come and support you, and, if the offer is still there, we [the church they're getting married in has plenty of room, so that's not an issue] would be glad to attend and support you at your ceremony.  However the reception we will be unable to attend, but thank you for the invitation."

I think that's fairly polite, right?  Her reply?

"Well, are you still helping me with (insert artsy projects here) or not? I can't believe you're causing this much fuss over your BF!"  I have not replied.  What do I say?! I want to be the mature one here.
    I would say unfortunately no, and I think you should say you were hurt. I think "Unfortunately no. You know I wish you and FH the best in the world, but I can't help but feel hurt that on the day you are declaring your love for each other, you'd ask me to be there without the person I love with me. "
    I would say exactly this. Your friend sucks, I wouldn't lose any sleep over her.

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    Meh, even if the zilla does decide to do the right thing and extend the invite to @emmiejayne 's SO, Emmie, would you want to attend and bring him knowing that she doesnt want him there?

I wouldnt attend solely because this speaks volumes about her character.

No, I'm not going after the last damn text she sent! I don't know if it's the whole Zilla thing or if she's always been like this and I haven't noticed.
  • Options
    Nooooo!!! Sending you hugs.  I recommend a cooling-off period. Do not reply.  
    I haven't, and I won't.  Thank you for the hugs :) Currently sitting in the freezer so I don't lose my shit ;)
  • Options
    No, thank you guys.  It's good to know I'm not being a total dick :)
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    Meh, even if the zilla does decide to do the right thing and extend the invite to @emmiejayne 's SO, Emmie, would you want to attend and bring him knowing that she doesnt want him there?

I wouldnt attend solely because this speaks volumes about her character.

No, I'm not going after the last damn text she sent! I don't know if it's the whole Zilla thing or if she's always been like this and I haven't noticed.
    Woah, didnt see her last text before I replied. :: hugs::
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all :) I did ask (via text) she sent me one back that "she'll just go check the list", which says to me that he's not and she's thinking up how to say no.
    This statement alone would make me decide not to go and I'd pretty much end my friendship with her. She is clearly being rude. She most certainly does not deserve your help. That is complete and utter bullshit.
  • Options
    MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I replied, 

"I'm afraid not.  I'm a little bit hurt that, on the day you're declaring your love (which is great, by the way, and we wish you all the best) that our relationship is not considered.  Now it just seems like you only asked me because of (insert art projects here).  I'm sorry to have disappointed you."

[I'm a part-time freelance artist, just to give the reply some perspective.  I did the art for her damn invitations.  And I find out NOW that no other SO's have been left out; her 12 year old sister's BF is coming!]

Reply from her: "I'm sorry for not wanting your BF there! He's lazy and you know what he's like, he'll just drag down the tone of the entire thing with his shitty attitude. Besides, I don't really care if you help or not, but you're being a crappy friend by pulling out this late."

I don't even... That last text may or may not have been friendship ending.
    Nooooo!!! Sending you hugs.  I recommend a cooling-off period. Do not reply.  

Agreed. Do not reply.  Sorry your friend is being so terrible. 

Seriously is this National Brides Being Assholes Week?  Between the thread yesterday about the CoupleZilla uninviting a wheelchair bound guest via Facebook to their weekday PPD because she wouldn't wear a dress (and OP handled it like a class act) and now this I am really starting to lose my faith in humanity. 
  • Options
    I replied, 

"I'm afraid not.  I'm a little bit hurt that, on the day you're declaring your love (which is great, by the way, and we wish you all the best) that our relationship is not considered.  Now it just seems like you only asked me because of (insert art projects here).  I'm sorry to have disappointed you."

[I'm a part-time freelance artist, just to give the reply some perspective.  I did the art for her damn invitations.  And I find out NOW that no other SO's have been left out; her 12 year old sister's BF is coming!]

Reply from her: "I'm sorry for not wanting your BF there! He's lazy and you know what he's like, he'll just drag down the tone of the entire thing with his shitty attitude. Besides, I don't really care if you help or not, but you're being a crappy friend by pulling out this late."

I don't even... That last text may or may not have been friendship ending.
    I'd say she's got enough of a shitty attitude to handle that all on her own.

Good riddance to her, OP.  You're better off.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I am livid for you! What a piece of work.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I mean, gosh, I feel the need to reply again. Look, being real, haven't we all had a time when we haven't liked someone our friend was in a relationship with?  In the worst cases, we express our concern in a loving heart-to-heart, like, "Jane, when you're with John, he always seems down or negative. Is he ok? And are you happy?"

Not..."He sucks and he's not coming to my wedding!" over text message!  That is truly immature.   

• Options
    Wow.  Your "friend" is a bitch.  I can't believe she said that.  AND she's inviting other SO's, but not yours even though you're her friend and helping her decorate?!  WTF. It doesn't matter if she's being a bridezilla right now, these are core traits coming out into the ugly light.  

• Options
    wow.        It's pretty clear she was using you for free help.

Sorry-not-sorry you lost the friendship.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    ...you dodged a rocket with that one!  Definitely showing her true colors.  You are so much better with her out of your life...
  • Options
    So beyond sorry your so-called friend is acting like this because that is not what a real friend does at all! 

What is it that snaps and turns people in to Epic Bridezilas over a single day?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards