Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Party gift suggestions

Hi everyone, hubby and I were first of our friends to get married, so we haven't been to ahn engagement parties and we did not have one. We just got invited to a good friends small get together/engagement party and I'm not sure what kind of gift to bring? Champagne? Wine? Chocolates? Something else? Not sure what is typical/standard and appreciate any suggestions! TIA!

Re: Engagement Party gift suggestions

• They typically aren't gift giving events. A bottle of wine or something like that would be fine, it definitely shouldn't be anything too over the top as most people probably won't be bringing anything.

Honestly though if it were me, I'd almost be more inclined to bring a small gift for the host of the party.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• They typically aren't gift giving events. A bottle of wine or something like that would be fine, it definitely shouldn't be anything too over the top as most people probably won't be bringing anything. Honestly though if it were me, I'd almost be more inclined to bring a small gift for the host of the party.
    This was my thought as well.  A nice bottle of wine or Prosecco is typically my  "go to" gift for a host.  In our area, engagement parties are not the norm, and certainly not expected to be gift giving events.
  • Ah thanks good to know!
  • My go-to for engagement parties is a bottle of wine for the hosts and a congrats card + a gift card for the couple. Usually its to a restaurant and I'll say something in the card about them using it to go out and celebrate this special time in their lives.
    *********************************************************************************

• We had our engagement party over the summer and it was a lot of fun. By no means did we expect gifts, but many of the guests brought them. It was so sweet of them! We received a lot of bottles of champagne, some wine, a lot of picture frames, some gift cards, and some cards with money. I think of everything, my favorite gifts were just gift certificates to local restaurants. My FI and I dine out a lot and these were really thoughtful and useful gifts to us.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We just had our engagement party and received a bunch of gifts (totally not expected!)  We got champagne, wine, chocolates, a planner, hand made ceramic bowl, kitchen towels, oven mitts, serving bowl, cook books, a weekend getaway to a lodge with our close friends (combined gift), some coffee mugs, and a check.  In the past, I've given gift cards, and a luggage set (but this was for my fiance's brother- so we gave a really nice gift)

I say a nice bottle of champagne is a good idea or gift cards.  We LOVE champagne and opened our first gifted bottle on our "1 year till our wedding" anniversary.  We still have another bottle which we are going to save for a special occasion.   
  • I love engagement parties, even more than showers.  I try to see if the couple has even registered yet.  If not, I get a gift certificate from a store where I think they are likely to register (large department store or home goods chain) so they can order on-line or put it towards a "dream" item.
  • In my circle, most do give gifts at engagement parties.  I would say they are somewhat smaller gifts on average I suppose but I don't think I ever see anyone arrive to an engagement party empty handed.  Some do go with something like a bottle of wine or gift card but others go with something off the registry.  Couples around here are typically registered before any parties are held and it's very common to buy a gift same as for a shower.  Just like anything else, this varies from place to place and even between different social groups so it just depends.  We actually would have been registered sooner but we are in the process of rehabbing a house and moving so we hadn't had the time.  We will be in in a couple weeks and will register then.  Once we are in my mother and I are planning to basically kill two birds with one stone with her doing an engagement party which will also serve as a house warming.  I didn't like the idea of doing two events with the same small group of friends one right after the other with such similar themes so we are just combining them.
  • My parents threw me an engagement party about 3 1/2 months after I got engaged (I know it's supposed to be 3 months or less but my then-87 year old grandma was flying in from Florida for the Jewish holidays, and we weren't going to have her fly in twice)

I received maybe 2 or 3 gifts from my registry, and probably received gifts from 1/2 - 3/4 of the people who attended.  Most gifts were pretty small - a bottle of wine or champagne, a candle, or a small gift card.  One of FI's friends gave us a very sweet "date night" basket - it had some "movie food" and a Fandango gift card so we could "take a couple nights off of wedding planning and enjoy being engaged."  I thought that was the most thoughtful gift - it was so sweet of them to put thought into making a gift basket like that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards