Not Engaged Yet

Xmas gifts for SO's

What are you getting your SO's this year?

We decided not to spend a lot of money on each other this year, we are getting each other smaller gifts, under $50 and we're putting money towards a big 70 inch TV for the entertainment room.

So my plan is to get him a square plates set.  I found a set at Target, it seems silly and if you really think it is please tell me.  H has always wanted square dish set, we registered for some and they got discontinued.  I'm mostly concerned about finding a good deal on a TV.

Anniversary

Re: Xmas gifts for SO's

• @peaseblossom55 -I think if that's what he wants then it's a perfect gift! We got a square set as a wedding gift and we really like them! I don't remember if they were from Target or not because they weren't on our registry.

I'm most likely getting DH some new steel toe boots. His ones that he has now are getting worn and the tread is going away. He also wants a new ground blind but I might save that for another special occasion.
  • He is getting some clothes (because he needs them and never has time to go shopping himself) and new chess pieces (we play games a lot.)  But really, we are taking a big trip in February so that's where most of the gift money is going!

• I got H a sandbag workout thing, an iPhone case, a jacket from Old Navy, and something else.  I can't remember... I have to wrap his gifts tonight while he's at play practice, so I'll remember then!
  • FI is getting a new sweater to replace a couple that don't fit him anymore, and I think new cologne since he's running out. Plus some small stuff in his stocking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think if he really wants the plates then get them! We have two separate sets of plates still and we use them for different things all the time.

We aren't doing gifts this year. I'm getting H some new boxers, white tshirts, and socks just because he has old ones that need to be tossed but that really isn't much of a gift. We're trying to save money and get our student loans paid off so we're forgoing gifts this year...especially after spending so much on our HM and wedding expenses.

• @peaseblossom55 - FI & I are doing the same thing! We are only doing stocking stuffers for each other, and we bought a new TV together for the living room. We only got a 48-inch though, I'm jealous for your 70-inch!! We went out on Black Friday for ours. 

So far, I've only gotten him two Breaking Bad pint glasses. I need to find some other little things for him. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Peaseblossom55 if he wants the plates, definitely get them.  I have a set from Corelle and love them.

Bf & I are also taking it easy this year so we can spend our money on things for the house.  I got him a knife sharpener for his pocket knife and a bluetooth portable speaker. 
  • @GoldenPenguin we still haven't bought the TV yet, H wants a 70 inch, I'd prefer 60, we may meet in the middle with a 65 we'll see.

Anniversary

• This year I got him a house (I fronted the down payment) and we're getting married in April, so gifts are small all around. We set a $40 limit on gifts this year, so I'm getting him this. He's a huge Doctor Who fan and loves tabletop gaming, so a new system will be fun for him.
  • I'm going to preface this by saying that 1. I always go crazy on gifts for FI, but I grew up in a house where Christmas was a huuuuge deal and 2. Inundating him with presents is my way of thanking him for taking such great care of me throughout the year. Plus, next year will be a light Christmas since we will have just paid for a wedding and HM, so this year I went a little nuts...

I got FI a Clarisonic Mia because he's very self-conscious about his skin, Power Grid, two Dominion expansions, Bang! Walking Dead (we play a lot of board games), a Steam gift card, a Banana Republic gift card, an Amazon gift card, some Star Wars-themed bar stuff like THIS, THIS, and THIS, whiskey truffles, Cadbury chocolate bars from Ireland, two Lego sets he's been wanting, a Star Wars cook book (it came with fun cookie cutter shapes!), the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo series because he's never read it, and this huge 10-book series he had on his list. I also bought him a Paula's Choice acne kit, but I gave it to him early. Oh! And I got a Lego ornament that he'll have to put together himself. 

His birthday is in January, so I'll include gifts for that too... I got him THIS, a couple of board games, a gift card to Sam's Club so he can get a tool chest he's had his eye on for a while, three Lego sets, and more books. I'm hoping to finish his Slytherin scarf by his birthday too so it can be included as a gift. 

So... yeah... I do too much, but I really enjoy shopping for him, and it's the only time of year he allows me to buy him anything. 

• H and I are doing the 4 gift rule this year with an overall limit of about $200. It's something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read.

So far, I've gotten him sneakers and a Braves shirt (something to wear), socks and underwear (something he needs), two John Grissham books (something to read), and I'm a little torn on something he wants. He really wants a sound bar for our bedroom, and/or new speakers for the living room. But both of those would put me over budget. So I thought about getting him an ornament with Mr & Mrs HisLastName, and ordering new checks. I was on the fence for so long about changing my name, but I've finally decided I'm going to do it, so I was thinking of that being the something he wants. I just don't know if that's cheap/cheesy.

• @eilis1228 H & I love playing Dominion such a good game.

Anniversary

• I bought him a stupid-warm raincoat/parka because we're going to Chicago for our honeymoon and the warmest jacket he owns is a peacoat (and the only water-repellent jacket he owns is a trench coat, so no).

His birthday is right before Christmas, and I'm getting him a bottle of fancy scotch.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I havent decided what I'm giving for bday/xmas as they are both very close together, but I got him cirque du soleil tix, a blazer, a bbq smoker thing, and either a bottle of bourbon/whiskey or a tasting. Maybe some small things like tshirts/socks.
  • @peaseblossom55 We love it too! Haven't played it in a while, but it's one of FI's favorites, so I figured the expansions would get everyone interested in playing again. I also got him a Star Wars mini fig game that he's been going nuts about and a couple of expansions for it. He's been watching YouTube videos on it for a few weeks, but it was featured on Wil Wheaton's YouTube series recently, so the cooler expansions are hard to find. :-\

• I have NO idea what to get H :-(

Anniversary
  • We always take a trip in January instead of doing big Christmas gifts, so we each got each other half a cruise. :-)

For stocking stuffers I got him Minecraft for the PS3 (he's been checking out a copy from the library over and over), a calendar, and a cookbook.
  • Its always tough for me too! I This year I'm taking my bf to see a Baltimore Ravens Games. He's never been to a game during the season, so I thought it would be nice.
  • @eilis1228 the expansions make it more fun and definitely changes the game a bit. We also found a site that has the game online goku.com I think we play that sometimes when we don't feel like shuffling cards.

Anniversary

• @eilis1228 - Power Grid is my favorite board game of all time!!

@Ollie08 - That theme idea is fabulous! Our first Christmas we randomly each got each other two presents, and they happened to be something musical, and something kitchen related. We didn't even plan that, and I've never thought of doing so. But that would be fun!

-------------------

Oh man, last year I spent a bunch of money on a big nice present, and BF has barely touched it. So I'm going smaller and useful this time.

So far I have two growlers with beer quotes on them, since I think he's getting kegging stuff from most people. I also got him one of those Chivery Bill Murray shirts, since he's always wanted one. Now I'm just shopping for a Zippo, and a leather jacket. I've never bought him clothes before, so the jacket may be hit or miss.

• I got H a cashmere ski hat, an old-school Devils sweatshirt, a Dolphins hoodie, a Dolphins bucket hat, and a Los Pollos Hermanos t-shirt. I will probably pick him up 1-2 more things but I'm not sure what just yet. 

I have to make up for last Christmas -- I was so excited about the fish eye lens I got for his DSLR camera and then when he opened it, he informed me he already had one. I was so bummed out. 

• It's the year of cashmere gifts for me.  I got DH two cashmere sweaters from Brooks Brothers and 2 pairs of cashmere socks.  (He had been talking about wanting to start a sock collection, so these can be sock sets 1 & 2 of said collection.)
  • @peaseblossom55 Oh, I had no idea they had a digital version. We'll definitely have to check that out soon.

@futuremrshistorian Your gift is seriously amazing. He's going to love it!

• @eilis1228 It's fun and no card shuffling :-)

Anniversary

• Does anyone have any cheap, but cute stocking stuffer ideas? I want to do a bunch of fun little things for him, but I'm not feeling particularly creative. 

*******************************************************************************************

• H and I are spending $150 each this year. We don't normally spend that much on each other, but I really wanted to get him a Rigid hand drill set, so that's the price point we went with. I don't think he has a clue what I got him and I got a great price as a "deal of the day" item. Hopefully Home Depot doesn't give it away with their packaging now...
  • @goldenpenguin -We usually will do chocolate or other types of candy, essentials like deodorant, razors, tooth brushes, etc.... and then something fun like a coozie or a gift card.
  • @GoldenPenguin Last year I did a bunch of $5 or $10 gift cards to FI's favorite fast food places. I always get him a bunch of candy and an ornament too. 

• This year we are just going to get each other gifts for our honeymoon trip to Alaska. I have already bought FI a waterproof jacket and a pair of binoculars. I'm thinking a fleece and sneakers will be good too.

I only have a waterproof jacket on my list....can't think of anything else I would need. I'm just too practical.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards