Wedding Reception Forum

Disney Theme

We are looking to do a disney themed wedding... any ideas for decor or centerpieces? I've found some great ideas but not many.

Re: Disney Theme

• Another vote for subtle. You don't want it to look like a kid's birthday party, you know?
  • I also agree to go subtle.  Maybe use the names of Disney movies instead of table numbers.  Do what Disney does and have some hidden Mickey's scattered throughout your decor.  Bring it in with a Mickey and Minnie mouse cake topper.

But I am kind of loving this table decor with a nod to both Beauty and the Beast with the flower inside the bell jar and Alice in Wonderland with the doorknob table number...

I agree with this. But ultimately it's your wedding, if you and your fiancé want it to be flashy and in your face then go for it!

You only get married once so do it how you want, what other people think truly doesn't matter.
  • What other people think of your theme doesn't truly matter? To some degree that's true, but I know I wouldn't want people talking negatively about my wedding, saying it looked like a birthday party, was garish, etc.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I saw those centerpieces too!!! we are using those! but i was thinking maybe a different movie for each table? and i love the hidden mickey idea!!!
  • Is this also what your FI wants? It's his/her wedding too. 

I agree with Addie. Subtle is best - this is a wedding not a child's birthday party. Since these are children's movies, this can be a fine line for a wedding of adults. Here's an example of what NOT to do:

ETF words

HaHa i saw this! yea not happening! 

My Fiance is in to disney too he actually proposed to me under the magic kingdom fireworks on the grand one yacht in the seven seas lagoon!!! he gave me a tiara and a glass slipper on a bed of flowers and in the card asked me to be his princess forever.... it was absolutely amazing!!!
  • I saw those centerpieces too!!! we are using those! but i was thinking maybe a different movie for each table? and i love the hidden mickey idea!!!
    I think having 2-3 different centerpieces that coordinate is fine, but having each table different could be a bit much.  You need some cohesion and it just can't be that everything is based on Disney.  I mean there are a lot of Disney movies and characters and not all of them make sense together. Colors and ideas should play throughout your entire decor.

• Is there one area about Disney that is your favorite? For example the movies or a certain "land" in Disney world? If so start with that and build from there
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Denise40 said:
    Is there one area about Disney that is your favorite? For example the movies or a certain "land" in Disney world? If so start with that and build from there
    I agree. I like when it's a subtle "Cinderella" or "Beauty and the Beast" theme that carries one or two colors throughout, not a hodgepodge of characters and primary colors. That's when it crosses the line from "wedding" to "kid's birthday party".

Something like this:

It still has the fairy tale elements but looks classy.
  • http://blog.theknot.com/2013/10/11/disney-wedding-ideas-that-arent-cheesy/

I actually thought these were good ideas.  (except for the Mickey engagement ring)
    I think having 2-3 different centerpieces that coordinate is fine, but having each table different could be a bit much.  You need some cohesion and it just can't be that everything is based on Disney.  I mean there are a lot of Disney movies and characters and not all of them make sense together. Colors and ideas should play throughout your entire decor.
    I would have thought that a different centerpiece on each table wouldn't look good, but I was proven wrong at a wedding last year. They had their wedding in an old industrial museum (think old cars and steel signs and stuff), and the reception was in a nice, open brick-walled room with big windows. Each centerpiece had some old books stacked up and an item on top. Ours was an old-fashioned telephone. Another table was a small phonograph type of machine. I don't remember what they all were, but they were all muted colors and it just worked great. 
  • MandyMost said:
    I saw those centerpieces too!!! we are using those! but i was thinking maybe a different movie for each table? and i love the hidden mickey idea!!!
    I would have thought that a different centerpiece on each table wouldn't look good, but I was proven wrong at a wedding last year. They had their wedding in an old industrial museum (think old cars and steel signs and stuff), and the reception was in a nice, open brick-walled room with big windows. Each centerpiece had some old books stacked up and an item on top. Ours was an old-fashioned telephone. Another table was a small phonograph type of machine. I don't remember what they all were, but they were all muted colors and it just worked great. 
    But they still had some cohesion with the stacked books and the muted colors. You need to have something similar in all of them for them to make sense together. Just saying "hey they represent Disney movies" really isn't enough. The colors and some of the items need to be similar or the same to create a cohesive look. I am not saying that some differences is bad but if every single centerpiece is completely different from one another I think that would look odd.

• MandyMost said:
    I saw those centerpieces too!!! we are using those! but i was thinking maybe a different movie for each table? and i love the hidden mickey idea!!!
    But they still had some cohesion with the stacked books and the muted colors. You need to have something similar in all of them for them to make sense together. Just saying "hey they represent Disney movies" really isn't enough. The colors and some of the items need to be similar or the same to create a cohesive look. I am not saying that some differences is bad but if every single centerpiece is completely different from one another I think that would look odd.
    Exactly.

For example, if you choose "Snow White", you could have mirrors on some tables and apples on the others. That way, the objects are different but it's still cohesive.

If you have an apple on one table, a glass slipper on another, a rose in a bell jar on another, and a genie's lamp on another, it's going to look sort of jumbled and odd.

I saw a wedding on "Four Weddings" last Friday that did the whole Disney fairy tale theme, but it was heavy on the fairy tale and not so heavy on the Disney. It was absolutely gorgeous. The only Disney-ish things were the hidden Mickeys, which they turned into a game for their guests. I normally despise games, but this one was pretty low-key, and it was an optional thing to keep people occupied during the cocktail hour. Plus, the Mickeys were really subtle and well-done.
  • One of my friends did table numbers by framing pictures of different Disney couples. You had to find the couple, instead of the number. It was great because there were only about 7 tables, but I think it would be way more difficult if you were having, say 30 tables. She also still had a centerpiece of cupcakes- the photo of the disney couple wasn't the only thing on the table. 

• MandyMost said:
    Exactly.

For example, if you choose "Snow White", you could have mirrors on some tables and apples on the others. That way, the objects are different but it's still cohesive.

If you have an apple on one table, a glass slipper on another, a rose in a bell jar on another, and a genie's lamp on another, it's going to look sort of jumbled and odd.

I saw a wedding on "Four Weddings" last Friday that did the whole Disney fairy tale theme, but it was heavy on the fairy tale and not so heavy on the Disney. It was absolutely gorgeous. The only Disney-ish things were the hidden Mickeys, which they turned into a game for their guests. I normally despise games, but this one was pretty low-key, and it was an optional thing to keep people occupied during the cocktail hour. Plus, the Mickeys were really subtle and well-done.
    You could totally go with the same stacked books, and even add a few flowers around the base if you want, motif, which also goes well with fairy tales. I'd also make sure everything was in the same color palette/level of vintage vs. modern. But then I kinda love the idea of having a "glass slipper" on one table, an apple and a hand mirror on another table, a rose under a glass on a third table, etc. You could also use the table names instead of numbers (Cinderella, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, etc.). Honestly, I think if this is really the bulk of the Disney in your wedding, it's a great way to have a "Disney themed wedding". 
  •    We are having our wedding at Disneyland. We are having a Roger rabbit and Jessica Rabbit themed cake. I know most of you will think it looks like a child's birthday, but that's how we roll. We are only having immediate family as guests anyway. Jessica and Roger suit us and it's not breaking any etiquette rules. 

I also have Mickey Mouse on my engagement ring and etched on my wedding band (an Etsy seller did a beautiful job!) But hey, it's cool. I have a thick skin and can take some side eyes from people on an anonymous message board. I'm the one who has to live with the consequences, if there are any.

The rest of our wedding isn't very themed, just good food at the Grand Californian Hotel. Were we doing a larger wedding not at Disneyland we would have still incorporated Disney decor, but more subtly to reflect our favorite Disney movies. We too, got engaged at Walt Disney World during the fireworks and us and our families are all Disney fans. 
  • @Fairyjen1 - I mean this in a really sincere way - what is the appeal?

I have a dear family friend who is obsessed with tinkerbell. Like t-bell is represented EVERYWHERE. She is a 47 year old woman. I never want to offend her by asking about it but I am genuinely curious about adults having this kind of affliction for children's movies/characters. Not in a snarky way at all, but I'm genuinely curious about the appeal. Would you entertain an internet stranger?
    *********************************************************************************

• I never understood why people liked Tink, she was a bitch, IMO.  Anywho, below are some more centerpiece suggestions:
    Cinderella-
    Homemade Disney Wedding_Chloe Lee Photography172

Snow White-
    centerpiece idea and candles around to go with your apple theme
    Snow White inspired - close up of Table Setting - Love this centerpiece and the writing on the crystal.

Sleeping Beauty-
    sleeping beauty centerpieces | Sleeping Beauty Centerpieces Suggestions Please! - The Knot

Peter Pan- (minus the map and stuff, IMO)
    A 'kiss' (Rustic Peter Pan Themed Wedding)

Mulan- “The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all." said the Emperor near the end as he put the flower behind her ear.
    centerpiece
    modern centerpiece

Beauty and the Beast-
    imageimage

Tangled-
  • @doeydo Those are beautiful and exactly what I would want to do if my wedding were larger and had more people who might be offended by more blatant Disney references.

I think of Tink as sassy rather than bitchy. Hmm. wonder what that says about me, LOL. 

• @Fairyjen1 - thanks for taking the time to write this out. The being able to escape/transport/be something else is a really interesting perspective that I didn't consider. Thank you for sharing this and taking the time. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• We are also having a Disney-Themed wedding. (Yes we BOTH love Disney)... I'm not sure why it is always assumed that it is the females who are the one "forcing" this. 

Ours will be subtle, as well, but only because I prefer it that way. I don't worry about "offending" anyone. We do what we like, as it is our wedding and we want it to reflect us. We want it to be fun!

To answer your OQ: I thought long and hard about "Disney themed" centerpieces, and decided that to make each table cohesive, I am doing a blue vase with flowers and our wedding table numbers will be Disney couples. The "twist" is that our place cards are in the shape of something that represents each couple. 

xxstarlitgreekxx You go girl! I can't wait to see what you do with this. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards