Getting in Shape

Does anyone take spin?

I went to my first spin class last night and loved it. However, my bottom is quite sore today. Is this something that will eventually go away in time? Is it worth it to invest in some of those gel shorts? 

Re: Does anyone take spin?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

Dont get the shorts. Give it s few more classes and it will get better. You will also figure out how to sit on the seat. You really should be using your core to stablize your body. Not letting all your weight rest on your pelvic bone.

I would only get the shorts if you are going to be an avid rider. ie multiple rides a week for multiple hours.

eta: get the spin shoes before the shorts

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the tips @KatWAG! My MIL has the shoes and she says they're great. 
  • kat1114kat1114 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I don't take spin, but I do cycle. My bottom was definitely sore the first few times I went riding, and if I take a break for a few weeks, I am sore again after getting back in the saddle. It does get better the more you ride. 

Bike shorts will help, but you don't necessarily want gel pads. In fact, a lot of riders are not fans of shorts with gel pads. I don't use a gel pad, so I can't comment on that, but I am fine riding in just a regular bike bib (like shorts but with suspenders). I would give it a couple of classes to see if you get used to the seat. Quality bike shorts can be pricey, so if your body can get used to it, you'll save yourself some money.

ETF: my lack of complete sentences.

• One of the big issues with spin is people just push the pedals. There is actually som etechnique to it. You shouldnt bounce it the seat, which is really hard to do. But once you figure it out, your butt wont hurt. And once you figure out the push/ pull balance with the pedals, your legs will start to tone up.

And the handle bars are there for balance only. Put as little weight on them as possible. And keep your shoudlers out of your ears.

Ugh, I love spin!!!! I wish we had a studio near me house! Burn calories for me!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

One of the big issues with spin is people just push the pedals. There is actually som etechnique to it. You shouldnt bounce it the seat, which is really hard to do. But once you figure it out, your butt wont hurt. And once you figure out the push/ pull balance with the pedals, your legs will start to tone up.

And the handle bars are there for balance only. Put as little weight on them as possible. And keep your shoudlers out of your ears.

Ugh, I love spin!!!! I wish we had a studio near me house! Burn calories for me!!

I definitely felt like I was bouncing too much. And when I stood up, it was really hard to pedal as fast as everyone else. 

Again, great tips! Thank you!
  • I second KatWAG about keeping good form. Not only will it make you pedal more efficiently, having the proper form in the saddle can also help with relieving saddle pain issues.
  • The instructor yesterday did help me out with some things, like positioning the seat, and how to keep my elbows in. I really loved it though. What a great workout. 
  • I try to spin at least once a week. It's great! Glad you liked it... the soreness will definitely go away. I remember after my first class I was walking like a mummy for a while and my butt hurt so bad from the seat. Now I can't remember the last time I was really sore after a class, even if I miss a week or two. I just wear regular workout clothes and sneakers (not the special spin shoes which I don't really understand).

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards