Wedding Party
Options

Makeup for Bridal Party?

So I'm paying for my sisters and BMs hair the day of the wedding.  But recently one of my BMs asked what kind of makeup l was providing as well.  I wasn't planning on it, because I'm doing my own makeup and was assuming they'd all want to do their own as well.  I do have a friend who's really good at hair/makeup coming to help everyone the morning of, but I mainly asked her to come because she's fun to hang out with and my little sister's best friend.  Is it rude of me to ask them to do their own makeup? They're all kinda young and not big makeup wearers, but I wasn't really expecting them to wear a lot of makeup anyway. I don't want be rude here, but I also don't really want to pay for all six of them to have makeup done when I'm not even paying for a makeup artist for myself.  What do y'all think?

Re: Makeup for Bridal Party?

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    No, it's not rude not to pay for them to have their makeup done. Just tell her you have a hair stylist for them but not a makeup artist and if they want professional makeup, that is something they will have to take care of themselves.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    NatRene15 said:
    So I'm paying for my sisters and BMs hair the day of the wedding.  But recently one of my BMs asked what kind of makeup l was providing as well.  I wasn't planning on it, because I'm doing my own makeup and was assuming they'd all want to do their own as well.  I do have a friend who's really good at hair/makeup coming to help everyone the morning of, but I mainly asked her to come because she's fun to hang out with and my little sister's best friend.  Is it rude of me to ask them to do their own makeup? They're all kinda young and not big makeup wearers, but I wasn't really expecting them to wear a lot of makeup anyway. I don't want be rude here, but I also don't really want to pay for all six of them to have makeup done when I'm not even paying for a makeup artist for myself.  What do y'all think?
    Is your friend a professional makeup artist?  I wouldn't give anyone expectations that she will do their makeup for them for free.

I would tell your bridesmaid that you are happy to provide the professional hair styling, and if she wants a professional makeup artist then she can provide that for herself with her own artist.  
  • Options
    You are not required to pay for hair or makeup. Either or both is a perk if you decide to pay for it.

And yes - it is rude to ask someone to do things free of charge. You could offer to PAY her, but I'd just leave it alone. You're not required to provide this anyway.

Also, I'm unclear if you're only paying for hair for 2 people and not the rest. Is that the case, or are these 2 people the only ones in the bridal party? 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I would maybe ask your sister's friend if she would be interested in doing makeup for anyone interested and if she says yes, work out something with her about how much per person it would cost. Then you can let your bridesmaids know that if they would like their makeup done, your sister's friend will be available and she'll charge $x per person. Your bridesmaids really shouldn't expect that you'll pay for this (especially since you're paying for their hair which is really nice of you!).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    peachy13 said:
    I would maybe ask your sister's friend if she would be interested in doing makeup for anyone interested and if she says yes, work out something with her about how much per person it would cost. Then you can let your bridesmaids know that if they would like their makeup done, your sister's friend will be available and she'll charge $x per person. Your bridesmaids really shouldn't expect that you'll pay for this (especially since you're paying for their hair which is really nice of you!).
    Only if she's licensed.

If not, she may not be well versed in sanitary procedure for a group.  Also, if she's licensed, she's more likely to have things like insurance.
  • Options
    I'm not paying for hair or makeup for the bridal party, not that I don't want to I just cant afford it. I'm also not requiring them to get either done. I have a makeup artist & hairdresser coming the day of and have told everyone that its up to them if they want to do any or all on their own or have it done professionally -I will just need to know how many close to the date in case the people I hired need to bring extra help. If your friend is able and willing to do everyone's makeup for a fee then I would just let your BM's know that makeup is not something that you are getting professionally done, but if anyone is interested you can have someone come and this is what the charge is. See what they say and go from there
  • Options
    "I'll be doing my own makeup, so I haven't arranged for a person to come in. You can do your own or arrange to go to a pro if you'd prefer, it's up to you."

Unless this friend is a pro, don't start offering her services. It's going to create problems. Outside of the sanitation and expectations, she will have no idea how to time wedding make up for multiple people. It's one thing to add a color to someone's eyes, but full on wedding make up application takes a lot of time and skill. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards