Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress that is past floor length?

This is probably a dumb question, but does anyone ever wear a dress that goes past floor-length (drags on the floor a bit)? I know this will be hard to walk in, but the reason I ask is that in all pictures of wedding dresses, the model is always wearing a gown that not only touches the floor, but sits on the floor a bit, and I think it looks gorgeous when it does that. I don't plan to dance at my wedding so that won't be an issue. Will it just look stupid if my dress drags on the floor?

Re: Dress that is past floor length?

• I think it wouldn't be stupid looking, but keep in mind what it's going to be dragged through if you have plans after the wedding- grass, street, tile, etc. If you wear heels, then it might barely touch the floor. I have some wisps of my dress that touches the floor, but nothing that I could accidentally step on and rip off. Be sure that you can walk in it without tripping, otherwise it looks fine. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I think  it will look like you are playing dress up in Mommy's clothes.

Clothes that models wear for photo shoots are not realistic.  Often the wedding dress models are standing on a stool that is hidden under a too long dress to make it look better. 

When Brook Shield modeled for Calvin Klein jeans years ago, the jeans she wore for the pictures were so tight that she couldn't move at all.  The photographer's assistants had to pick her up and lower her to the floor for the pose.  She could hardly wait to get out of them!  She was in pain!  They sold thousands of those jeans based on that photo!

Don't look at these photos for how to wear your wedding dress.  Have it hemmed so that it is just above the floor when you are wearing your shoes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Are you talking about a train? Lots of wedding dresses are long in the back for that dramatic, flowy feel and I agree that trains are really pretty. You can also wear a cathedral-length veil for the effect. I don't think you'd want a dress that's too long in front as it'd be easy to trip over and ruin the dress or hurt yourself.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dress was just a hair "too long". Like, maybe 1/2 inch - just enough to barely lay on the floor when I was standing still. I also liked the on the floor look. Contrary to completely unrelated nonsense, I was not in pain nor did anyone have to help me move. I was able to walk totally fine. But since my wedding was indoors and relatively short, I had no worries about getting it all dirty. If you do this, you need to make sure your seamstress does it right or it will be too long and annoying.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Keep in mind that if you do choose a dress with a train, you will need to have a bustle put in for after the ceremony. It doesn't matter if you're not dancing, having a train trailing after you is a hazard to yourself and everyone else and only really works when you're walking a straight line (down the aisle) while everyone else is seated and therefore not able to step on your dress by accident. And when you have someone (like the MOH) who will arrange it neatly for you at the end of the walk. And trust me, it's far better to bustle the train than try to carry the end of it with one of those wrist loops. That very quickly turns into a pain.
  • My dress touched the floor after it was altered.  When we went out on the field for pictures the dress did "puddle" a tiny bit since I was on turf instead of a hard floor.  I never once tripped over my dress. I was able to walk just fine without any help.  In fact I was super comfortable all day and night in my dress.

When you get your dress hemmed just tell your seamstress that you would like for the hem to hit/skim the floor.

I would say I wouldn't have your dress too long (no more then 1/2 inch) just because then you will be needing to pick up the front to be able to walk.

Oh and with a slightly longer dress like you want you may want to practice the "kick as you walk" walk.  If you slightly kick your foot as you step forward then you won't step or trip over your dress.

• I think it would depend on how long it is, just past the floor I wouldn't think would be any issues walking or moving around.   Also, keep in mind those pictures are posed with the dress hitting the ground perfectly.  It may not look as lovely when walking around naturally, it could get sloppy looking if you go too long.   
  • What is the normal hem length for a wedding dress? (How much distance from the ground in the front is normal?) I can't say I've ever worn a true formal long dress before. When I have pants hemmed, I always ask to have them just skimming the floor so they're long enough to almost touch, but not so long that the bottoms will wear out and fray. 
  • My dress was hemmed to be just off the floor.   I was to get married on a beach which would have made it drag a little since I was not going to wear shoes during the ceremony.  ::gasp::

WELL, stupid Hannah with her 60 mph wind-driven rains appeared on my wedding day.  It was so wet I decided to ditch the heels in which the dress was hemmed for  and instead wore..... get this....better sit down...  I don't need anyone doing this....

I wore these:

which made my dress drag ALL NIGHT LONG.    I know, I know, get the smelling salt out.   

I'm NOT a dancer, yet I was out on the dance floor most of the night.  I do not recall being in pain, I was drinking Yuengling and just overall in a high I would not have noticed anyway.  I didn't need anyone to carry me either.   I went to the bathroom alone.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • What is the normal hem length for a wedding dress? (How much distance from the ground in the front is normal?) I can't say I've ever worn a true formal long dress before. When I have pants hemmed, I always ask to have them just skimming the floor so they're long enough to almost touch, but not so long that the bottoms will wear out and fray. 
    @weddingcactus - I think it is really a personal preference.  I am not a huge fan of seeing shoes when you are just standing still.  That to me makes me think that the dress was hemmed too short.  But some people like that look.

The last long dress I wore was a BM dress.  My seamstress recommended hemming it about 1/2 inch above the floor which was a nice length.

• No, I am not talking about a train, I am talking about the front of the dress definitely resting on the floor in many of the pictures I see. (Not real pictures of people getting married; I'm more talking about dresses on models). But based on everyone's comments, I think I can get that "look" by having the dress just skim the floor, and not too much extra fabric. Thanks.
  • @lyndausvi Bring on the flip-flops!!! I 'm not even going to pretend that I'm going to wear pretty, spiky, flashy heels on my wedding day. Thank goodness for floor-length dresses because NO ONE will give a hoot about what's on my feet!
  • I like the pageant rule of thumb, hem so that no more than tips of toes are visible when you're walking.  You shouldn't see shoes at all if you're standing still.
  • No, I am not talking about a train, I am talking about the front of the dress definitely resting on the floor in many of the pictures I see. (Not real pictures of people getting married; I'm more talking about dresses on models). But based on everyone's comments, I think I can get that "look" by having the dress just skim the floor, and not too much extra fabric. Thanks.
    I think though that it's probably not an intentional look, since I'm sure the dresses do not get hemmed at all for models. Definitely practice walking in the dress ahead of time to make sure it's not going to get in your way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards