Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Mixing plastic plates with cater?

So I was curious if cater's frown upon this. My FI and I are really only looking to hire the cater for food, but they also added on china rental. It includes plates, silverware, cloth napkins, and drinking classes. 

We are having a budgeted wedding that is not super formal, is it okay to ask to pass on their china and just get nice plastic plates, silverware and napkins? 

The total they priced us is around $600, (about 100+ guests) but I feel we could easily save on buying our own plastic dishware and all for a little more than $100.

Thoughts?

Re: Mixing plastic plates with cater?

• Options
    thchurn said:
    So I was curious if cater's frown upon this. My FI and I are really only looking to hire the cater for food, but they also added on china rental. It includes plates, silverware, cloth napkins, and drinking classes. 

We are having a budgeted wedding that is not super formal, is it okay to ask to pass on their china and just get nice plastic plates, silverware and napkins? 

The total they priced us is around $600, (about 100+ guests) but I feel we could easily save on buying our own plastic dishware and all for a little more than $100.

Thoughts?
    The word is caterer, not cater. 

Is the $600 just for rentals, or rental together with food?

• Options
    I am doing plastic for my wedding, we have a buffet so the plastic wont sit on the table and it is an outdoor reception so I feel more safe with alcohol and concrete haha!  Hope this helps, also my caterer had an option of china or plastic and they showed me both at the tasting.   
  • Options
    It really depends on how formal you want your wedding to be- and what kind of food you're serving.

If you're having a casual wedding, plastic is no big deal. If you're aiming for formal, plastic doesn't look appropriate. I'd also suggest considering what you plan to serve- it's hard to cut a chunk of meat with a flimsy plastic fork and knife.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    You'd have to ask the caterer if this is even negotiable before considering it. I could see a caterer not being OK with serving their food on plastic provided by someone else.

If they say it's ok, then its up to you on how formal you want your wedding. And consider what you're serving. Its not easy to cut steak or basic wedding chicken with plastic.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    It really depends on how formal you want your wedding to be- and what kind of food you're serving.

If you're having a casual wedding, plastic is no big deal. If you're aiming for formal, plastic doesn't look appropriate. I'd also suggest considering what you plan to serve- it's hard to cut a chunk of meat with a flimsy plastic fork and knife.

I second this about planning your type of dishes/silverware based on your menu. To get some really good quality & nice looking plastic, you could be still spending some money. Another thing to think of, if you do throw away plates, you will need to account for more trash.

Something to ask caterer, if I go with some nice plasticware, will your staff still do the clean up of the plates and the trash or will I need to make other plans like have trash cans set up for my guest to dispose of their own plates? And who will empty the trash cans as they get full?

Not saying to go the route of plastic stuff, but you'll want to make sure you know what to expect regarding clean up because you don't want to get ready to leave your reception only to find out you & your new groom are going to be stuck cleaning everything up.

• Options
    I would ask your caterer first. If you do buy your own plastic, Sam's has some cheap plastic ware that is made to look like china as well as that reflections silverware (plastic silverware that looks like metal). Its about $10 for a pack of 48 china like plates and $9 for a 60 something piece silverware box...
  • Options
    Your guests have traveled to come to your wedding, bought you a present, aren't they worth real settings?  Have you tried to cut veggies and pork chops/steak with plasticware?  Miserable.  The expense is worth it to give your guests a good experience.  If you need to cut your budget to make it work, don't get favors.  Favors usually suck anyway (no koozies or trinkets!)  And if you're doing something like truffles or cookies, this is a more substantial expense.

My caterer included standard white china, glassware, and place settings in my catering package.  It didn't cost more or less.  Now, they added a per plate fee if I wanted china with a platinum edge, etc. 
  • Options
    Some of you are just mean.
  • Options

Please be specific - who on this thread was "mean"?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Weird.

• Options
    It depends on the kind of wedding.  If you are having a casual reception with a buffet, then I think it is okay as long as the plates are in good taste (perhaps silver or gold plastic utensils) and matching pattern of dinner and cake plates and luncheon napkins with your names and date.  Keep in mind that the plates may need to be doubled to absorb hot food weight.  The alternative is to buy simple, clear glass plates from dollar tree which comes out to $1.00 per plate in a case of 24.  (You can sell them later).  You can then ask your caterer just to provide the glasses and utensils or just the glasses and use silver or gold plastic utensils from your local party store.  Good luck!

• Options
    Where is your reception being held?  Is it a backyard or outdoor venue?  What type of food are you catering?

The only time I think plastic is appropriate is for an outdoor backyard BBQ type event with hamburgers and hot dogs.  For food that needs to be cut, please provide appropriate utensils. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards