Getting in Shape

working out at home

Is any one working out at home? If so how is it going for you? Or have you worked out from home in the past? How did that go for you?

I've worked out for years, but off and on. I've always had a gym membership or took some sort of fitness class. I was taking a kickboxing class, but recently had to stop. So with my current situation, my only option for working out is at home. FI and I are doing a kettle bell workout together (strength training) and then I do cardio afterward. We've been doing it kind of off and on for the last 3 weeks. With Thanksgiving and a few other factors it hasn't been consistent, but we are doing well so far this week.

I just wanted to see how you did working out from home? What your experience was. I have about 50 pounds to lose until July 2015 and I'm hoping with diet and my exercise at home, I can do it!! 

Re: working out at home

• I've been working out at home for years. I run and bike regularly, and I go to the community pool to swim. You don't need a fancy gym to workout, you just need the will power to do it hard and do it often. Working out off and on won't get you there. It's got to be constant. And that goes the same whether you go to the gym or not. Some people need the gym, or a scheduled class, to keep accountable for themselves. If you don't have to do that, then awesome. I don't. I log my workouts and diet so I know what I've done each day. 50 lbs in 7 months is a lofty goal, but totally doable. It's really up to you.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    I work out at home 5-6 days a week. I use Beachbody workout programs, which are a lot of fun and I love, and they work for me. They come with neat calendars to help keep me on track. Sometimes it's hard for me, because I'm gone 12+ hours a day for work, but I make it a point to immediately work out as soon as I get home. Seriously, it's drop my purse, go upstairs, and change into my workout clothes, then disappear into the garage for 30-60 minutes. The FI will work on with me a few times a week too, so if your FI will work out with you as well, it may help to have the motivation. 

If you feel yourself slipping, try looking for an exercise program that you'd actually enjoy doing and that would be different from day to day. Repetitious workout routines are not only boring, but they are ineffective in losing weight.

Good luck to you!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I as well use Beachbody programs, but I also go to the gym 2x a week for extra cardio.

There are plenty of DVDs that you can purchase to workout at home with.  If your cable provider has an on demand, there are usually workout programs on there as well.

In terms of your nutrition, my fitness pal is great for tracking your food.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A few years ago I did P90X (also a Beachbody program) at home. I worked out 6 days a week in a small spare bedroom. I enjoyed it, but have since changed up my workout to going to a local gym, lap swimming at a community pool, hiking and trail running. I'd like to get my basement set back up for workouts (right now it's kind of a mess) so I could do something like P90X at home. That workout video set required minimal equipment. Just some dumbbells, a pullup bar (I hung a removable one over the doorway), and a chair. I like that P90X includes a great combination of strength training, cardio, and plyometrics that can be done in just a small room. I use many of the exercises still today at the gym when I'm lifting weights. 

Many years ago I did pilates and yoga at home using books. 
  • Over the summer I worked out at home and did insanity. Let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever did. I was going to the bahamas and wanted to get in shape fast and that did the trick. Sometimes it was hard getting motivated and some of the stuff I didn't like doing, but I would just continue doing something else until that part of the video passed, and then continue on. I also had the 30 day shred but I felt like it wasn't crazy enough for me.
  • I have about 35 lbs to lose by May 2015 for my destination wedding. I bought this awesome little elliptical thing last week on Amazon for $42 that I have been using while I watch TV. I also do a different workout from my cable's On-Demand fitness channel every day and do an ab workout every other day. I bought a stability ball office chair because I work from home, and that seems to help strengthen my core as long as I remember not to rest my elbows on my desk while I type. So far, I have only lost 1 pound, but I keep cheating on my diet, so I think as soon as I start sticking to my diet I will lose more! I hope we can both achieve our goals for our wedding. Good luck to you!
  • Over the summer I worked out at home and did insanity. Let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever did. I was going to the bahamas and wanted to get in shape fast and that did the trick. Sometimes it was hard getting motivated and some of the stuff I didn't like doing, but I would just continue doing something else until that part of the video passed, and then continue on. I also had the 30 day shred but I felt like it wasn't crazy enough for me.
    Three-time INSANITY graduate here. If you are motivated to push yourself hard, then you'll get there with that one! Love it! I'm getting the new one, INSANITY Max:30 for Christmas.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

Three-time INSANITY graduate here. If you are motivated to push yourself hard, then you'll get there with that one! Love it! I'm getting the new one, INSANITY Max:30 for Christmas.

Ahhhh let me know how that is!!!!! I never believed everybody until I tried insanity myself. It is WORTH it. For anybody that doesn't want to spend a ton of money, I got mine on eBay for like $50 shipped. Worth every penny.
    Ahhhh let me know how that is!!!!! I never believed everybody until I tried insanity myself. It is WORTH it. For anybody that doesn't want to spend a ton of money, I got mine on eBay for like $50 shipped. Worth every penny.

Another insanity-er here. I dropped my baby weight FAST with this work out. I love that I can do it in my basement and that it requires no equipment.

I did P90x to get in shape for my wedding. It worked but it got soooooo boring. I havent gotten bored with insanity yet.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've got a treadmill and some basic free weights in the basement, but haven't used the lately cos I'm back into regular practices for cheer/tumbling, so I get my workout there.  I also did Focus T-25, cos I liked the shorter workout times, but I didn't notice any different after (I finished Alpha and Beta - wanted to do Gamma, but cheer season started up again).  I think my cardio improved a little, but nothing major.  I was kinda disappointed with that one.  

• I stopped working out at the gym last year and working out at home with Beachbody programs as well.  It's been really successful for me because the workouts I do are only 30 minutes and come with a nutrition plan.    I am way too busy to get to the gym these days and honestly am pushing myself harder in 30 minute workouts than I did at the gym.    I did the 21 Day Fix to start; it's basic and all the workouts are different.  That combined with an easy to follow nutrition plan has resulted in 36 pounds gone so far!  My only regret has been not ditching the gym sooner.   Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about it.   
  • I am terrified of joining a gym so do most of my exercising at home or walking/jogging. I actually lost 90+ pounds a decade ago with at home workouts. I've let myself go a bit lately so am trying to get back into the routine, which is a must for me. I need to establish a routine and then I have no problems sticking with it. I tell myself I'll work out by 7:00 PM and I make it happen. I don't give myself excuses like feeling tired or having too much laundry to do. The laundry can wait and when I'm feeling tired from my work day, I commit to doing just 10 minutes of a workout and usually by the 10-minute mark I'm feeling energized enough to continue. 

My favorites are Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred (short, intense workouts I can squeeze in whenever) and Ellen Barrett's workouts, which usually combine cardio and weights and pilates into a great full-body workout. You can find them for free on YouTube. If your library offers them, I also recommend checking out various workout DVDs so you can give them a try without committing to a purchase. I tend to not like the super intense ones like P90X because they seemed boring and repetitive to me. I need something I look forward to doing and actually want to stick with in the long run. The key is to shake it up regularly so you don't get bored and don't give yourself any excuses to sit on the sofa instead of getting up and moving!

• Walking/ running is a great option...especially once spring starts to get here. I am also a huge fan of yoga at home. I use YouTube videos for the most part. It's a good full body workout and I always feel more relaxed and centered after.
  • I do yoga at home 6 days a week. I find it's easier to get motivated if it's all right there in your face. Just a mat, the Yoga Journal 6 week magazine (sets up a great routine to keep going after), a strap, and a block.  If I'm really needing an extra challenging workout, I use Jillian Michael's yoga meltdown dvd. 
  • I've recently started doing pilates at home via YouTube videos (I'm loving the POPilates/blogilates series!).
  • I love dailyburn.com. It's like 10 bucks a month (I rejoined and got 50% off for three months) so it's way less than some programs and I like the video variety. You can either stick to a plan or just jump around and pick the type/duration that suits your needs (sometimes I wanna dance, sometimes I only have 15 minutes, etc). 
    They have a new trainer program for an extra $15 a month, but I haven't tried that. Sounds interesting!
    (P.s. I really like their variety of programs too- they have stuff for beginners, yoga, intense plans similar to P90x, pregnant programs). Clearly I'd recommend it. 
  • I do Jillian Michaels and toneitup.com workouts at home.  I also have Element Pilates and Barre dvds that I like to do to switch it up.  In the summer I walk/run a lot too, have to take advantage of warm weather while it's here

I do have a gym membership too but I don't feel like I'm cheating myself at all when I do my at home workouts instead of the gym

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love dailyburn.com. It's like 10 bucks a month (I rejoined and got 50% off for three months) so it's way less than some programs and I like the video variety. You can either stick to a plan or just jump around and pick the type/duration that suits your needs (sometimes I wanna dance, sometimes I only have 15 minutes, etc). 
    They have a new trainer program for an extra $15 a month, but I haven't tried that. Sounds interesting!
    (P.s. I really like their variety of programs too- they have stuff for beginners, yoga, intense plans similar to P90x, pregnant programs). Clearly I'd recommend it. 
    Thank you for the recommendation.....I've checked it out and started the free 30 day trial. Looks really interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards