May 2013 Weddings
Options

Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity?

Hi ladies, I'm hoping this is not a ridiculously dense question because it makes sense to me one way and not the other, but I want to double check. Do you pay sales tax before or after gratuity? So say my venue cost for ceremony and reception is X dollars, do I calculate sales tax on X dollars or do I calculate sales tax on (X dollars + required 20% gratuity)? It makes NO sense to me to pay sales tax on gratuity, but I want to double check before I completely throw off my budget. I'm guessing this is a universal thing, and it says nothing about this in my contract.

Re: Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity?

• Options
    I'm fairly sure it is before gratuity.  We don't have sales tax in NH and even though I'm getting married in MA, the tax and gratuity is built into the list price.  Taxes confused me too.  I've always lived in NH with no sales or income tax.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_sales-tax-before-or-after-gratuity?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:3c6e4e38-8c9c-4231-9e15-d5639bc24986Post:f4209c66-7f9f-4a8f-bc86-344823bed1d3">Re: Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm fairly sure it is before gratuity.  <strong>We don't have sales tax in NH</strong> and even though I'm getting married in MA, the tax and gratuity is built into the list price.  Taxes confused me too.  I've always lived in NH with no sales or income tax.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

<div>For realz? I'm so jealous right now.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_sales-tax-before-or-after-gratuity?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:3c6e4e38-8c9c-4231-9e15-d5639bc24986Post:6a0adc5c-51e9-4340-99f3-81f3614ced39">Re: Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity? : For realz? I'm so jealous right now.
    Posted by sbc2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>For realz.  All governors who have been elected have had to make a public pledge to never enact a sales or income tax.  Tax free NH!

</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'd check the fine print, but it's usually before gratuity. Unfortunately, my mandatory 18.5% gratuity is split in to 13.5% regular and 5% administrative and the administration percent is taxable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well now you've given me something to think about. I didn't think I needed to pay gratuity because I'm being charged facility tax and state tax which total 26percent I'm going need clarify this with my venue. Sighbhhhh
  • Options
    I am also gonna say its before gratuity...
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:The Cake!!!
    cake4
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    they tax the gratuity!
    JUNE SIGGY- =)Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Duuuuuude...I hope PP saying before gratuity are correct. We (Missourians, St. Louisians, not sure if this is nationwide) don't pay tax on tips at restaurant, so it seems ridiculous to think we will pay tax on gratuity in this case. Especially when most of us seem to be hit with at least 20%...yikes-a-bee.
  • Options
    Pretty sure that it is before gratuity. When we go to a restaurant, the tax is always based off the sales price & not after the tip. So I'd assume it'd be the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm moving to NH! Lol This is related but not really, anyone living in NC....next weekend is tax free weekend. Just an FYI :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_sales-tax-before-or-after-gratuity?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:3c6e4e38-8c9c-4231-9e15-d5639bc24986Post:47f7c699-2d7b-4bfe-a693-53de372dda38">Re: Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I'm moving to NH! </strong>Lol This is related but not really, anyone living in NC....next weekend is tax free weekend. Just an FYI :)
    Posted by Pnutbutr[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Haha you should!  FI just moved to NH to be with me and since he has a work from home job, he doesn't have to pay income tax anymore.  It was like getting a huge raise!

</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_sales-tax-before-or-after-gratuity?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:3c6e4e38-8c9c-4231-9e15-d5639bc24986Post:20678b5a-8740-4832-8e1b-19cc4b34f87f">Re: Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sales Tax--Before or after gratuity? : Haha you should!  FI just moved to NH to be with me and since he has a work from home job, he doesn't have to pay income tax anymore.  It was like getting a huge raise!
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

Lucky!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards