Chit Chat
Options

Resume help - Feds

Hi!  I get sworn in as an attorney this week (WHOOO!!), which means I get a promotion at work (DOUBLE WHOO!!!).  The only issue is that to get the promotion I need to submit an updated resume using the weird resume format used by the Federal Government.  Does anyone here have any experience with that?  I would love to get some feedback so I can submit a resume that actually makes sense.

Thanks!!

-ALMOST DCbride, ESQ

Re: Resume help - Feds

• Options
    No feedback to offer, but congrats your new esquire status!
  • Options
    Ditto, I don't know about that formatting, but congrats! 
  • Options
    I also wouldn't be any help but congratulations!

• Options

Thanks so much everyone!!!  You're all so sweet!  I'm really excited - I took the bar in July, found out I passed on Halloween, and FINALLY get sworn in on Thursday.  It seems like it's taking an unnecessarily long time, but at least it's finally over.

And OMG, I don't even want to think about what kind of hoops I'm going to have to jump through when I change my name after I get married....

• Options
    kat1114kat1114 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    dcbride86 said:

Thanks so much everyone!!!  You're all so sweet!  I'm really excited - I took the bar in July, found out I passed on Halloween, and FINALLY get sworn in on Thursday.  It seems like it's taking an unnecessarily long time, but at least it's finally over.

And OMG, I don't even want to think about what kind of hoops I'm going to have to jump through when I change my name after I get married....

I haven't changed my name yet because I didn't want to rush to re-do my passport before our honeymoon, but I am absolutely dreading changing my name with the state bar. I have no concrete reason to think it will be a pain, but given all the hoops you jump through and money you pay just to get your license, I feel like it won't be easy (or cheap).

ETA: I just looked at our state bar's website, and it looks like it's as simple as filling out a form. I remain skeptical, but hopefully it is that easy here, and for you too wherever you are licensed!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I work for the Feds :) 

I can try and help but I am not an attorney so my resume may not be exactly the same. 

edited- And Congrats! how did I leave that off!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kat1114 said:
    dcbride86 said:

I haven't changed my name yet because I didn't want to rush to re-do my passport before our honeymoon, but I am absolutely dreading changing my name with the state bar. I have no concrete reason to think it will be a pain, but given all the hoops you jump through and money you pay just to get your license, I feel like it won't be easy (or cheap).

ETA: I just looked at our state bar's website, and it looks like it's as simple as filling out a form. I remain skeptical, but hopefully it is that easy here, and for you too wherever you are licensed!

Yes, they allege it is just that it's that simple, but I remain highly skeptical.

I'm not changing my name until after the honeymoon, but then I'll probably try to get on it ASAP.  I'm just worried it'll take forever, and I really won't have much leave to take a day off and go to a million offices.  ugh.

• Options
    @morewineplease - thanks sooo much!!  Is it okay if I PM you?
  • Options
    Of Course.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've only ever used USA Jobs so I'm no help, but congratulations!!  That is so exciting!  My DH took the bar in July and gets sworn in on Wednesday.  The waiting is ridiculous.
  • Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    dcbride86 said:

You are moving at lightning speed compared with NY.  For the First Department (Manhattan) the character and fitness window isn't even open yet.  In the Third Department we are allowed to submit but probably won't get sworn in until the spring.

NJ is taking forever to respond to my paperwork.  Once they get back to me though, any attorney can swear me in at any time, so that's great.  At least I'll be an Esq. while I wait for NY to get their shit together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    dcbride86 said:

You are moving at lightning speed compared with NY.  For the First Department (Manhattan) the character and fitness window isn't even open yet.  In the Third Department we are allowed to submit but probably won't get sworn in until the spring.

NJ is taking forever to respond to my paperwork.  Once they get back to me though, any attorney can swear me in at any time, so that's great.  At least I'll be an Esq. while I wait for NY to get their shit together.
    That's crazy! From the time I passed until the time I got my certificate of admission (I didn't go to a swearing in ceremony), it was about 18 days. But we could submit C&F starting in like February.
  • Options
    I've only ever used USA Jobs so I'm no help, but congratulations!!  That is so exciting!  My DH took the bar in July and gets sworn in on Wednesday.  The waiting is ridiculous.

I'm guessing he took the same bar that I did :) - we're getting sworn in all week. Tell him congrats!!
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

I HATED character and fitness.  My guy kept interrogating me about my ONE speeding ticket.  I cried the whole way home from my interview because I thought he was going to fail me based on a stupid speeding ticket from over 3 years ago.
  • Options
    kat1114 said:
    dcbride86 said:

That's crazy! From the time I passed until the time I got my certificate of admission (I didn't go to a swearing in ceremony), it was about 18 days. But we could submit C&F starting in like February.

You have a CHOICE of whether or not to attend the swearing in ceremony???  What kind of magical fairy land bar committee is that?!  I have use leave from work to drive about an hour each way and get sworn in.  Ugh!
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:
    kat1114 said:
    dcbride86 said:

You have a CHOICE of whether or not to attend the swearing in ceremony???  What kind of magical fairy land bar committee is that?!  I have use leave from work to drive about an hour each way and get sworn in.  Ugh!
    Haha, AZ likes to do things it's own way. You can either go to a ceremony or sign some statements in front of a notary (I'll do good for my clients, I'll be honest, blah blah). It seems like most people go to the ceremony, but I couldn't justify taking time off work and putting on a suit.
  • Options
    kat1114 said:
    dcbride86 said:
    kat1114 said:
    dcbride86 said:

Haha, AZ likes to do things it's own way. You can either go to a ceremony or sign some statements in front of a notary (I'll do good for my clients, I'll be honest, blah blah). It seems like most people go to the ceremony, but I couldn't justify taking time off work and putting on a suit.

I'm SO jealous!!!  I wish I didn't have to take off from work and put on a suit.  But no choice for the people who took the Maryland bar.  I'm gonna have to get to work at 6 AM and stay until 6 PM on Thursday so I take as little leave as possible :(
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

I'm guessing he took the same bar that I did :) - we're getting sworn in all week. Tell him congrats!!
    I saw your update and yes he took the same bar!  They seemed to be one of the later states to get the results out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards