Getting in Shape

What's your favorite winter outdoor activity?

edited December 2014 in Getting in Shape
I'm brainstorming things my fiancee and I can do this winter to help us stay in shape. We are usually much, much more active in the warm months because we love the outdoors (hiking, backpacking, running, biking, etc.) but I'm determined to keep up the activities this winter before our May wedding. Important points to consider include: 1) I hate (really, really hate) gyms. 2) We live in New England (long, cold, snowy winters). 3) My fiancee does not ski.

Re: What's your favorite winter outdoor activity?

• We still do a lot of hiking in the winter. We both have ice clamps for our hiking boots. And we ski. Could you maybe try snow shoeing? 
    • ski
    • snowboard
    • snowshoe
    • trail run or hike - either not snowy areas or look into cleats
    • cross country skiing - looking into trying skate skiing this year - looks like a blast
    • run or bike neighborhoods when roads aren't too icy
    • ice skating - not something I do much, but you might enjoy
    • ice climbing - haven't tried this yet, but looks interesting
  • If you like to backpack/hike, then I definitely recommend snowshoeing. We live in the mountain west and snowshoe all winter on the same trails that we normally hike.

Also, does your FI not like any kind of skiing, or just downhill? Because cross-country is a lot of fun, and requires very little in the way of coordination, unlike downhill which always ends up with me injuring myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love these ideas! I think we'll probably try snowshoeing first, as I can borrow some from friends to try them out before we go invest in a set for ourselves. Crosscountry skiing is definitely an option too, but will require equipment and I'm not quite ready to make that commitment to it yet. I'm really excited about the idea of winter hiking with microspikes/crampons/snowshoes, but my fiancee isn't so much... I think he's scared of falling down the mountain. I could probably convince him to try it, but he may complain and not be very good company :) Winter hiking also has a big equipment purchasing commitment.

We'll continue running all winter long, but it's tough because we usually have to take a hiatus around big snow storms before the paths and sidewalks are cleared again. I'm thinking of getting some running spikes for my shoes, which will help when the paths are partially cleared. However, running alone really isn't enough for me - I want something I can do on weekends that will keep me active all day long. This has really been the only way I've been able to keep feeling great and keep the weight off.
  • Okay everyone, I bought a really nice pair of snowshoes today: MSR Lightening Ascents. Next weekend I'll try them out (we don't have any snow down here yet - I'll have to travel north to find some). I've managed to convince FI to try winter hiking with me. Wish us luck!
  • I really do love hiking with crampons. I feel like I have so much control.
    Have fun!
  • Okay everyone, I bought a really nice pair of snowshoes today: MSR Lightening Ascents. Next weekend I'll try them out (we don't have any snow down here yet - I'll have to travel north to find some). I've managed to convince FI to try winter hiking with me. Wish us luck!
    We're snowshoe twins! MSR Lightning Ascents are fantastic snowshoes and I think/hope you're going to love them! I think snowshoeing can even be more of a workout then hiking. Plus, fewer people snowshoe so you'll be even more likely to enjoy the peace and solitude of nature in the winter than you would hiking in the warmer months. Glad to hear your fiance is on board. Good luck and happy trails!
  • Yes! Got out there in the snow twice last weekend and had soooooo much fun! Here's me on day #1. Day #2 we snowshoed 4 miles up a mountain. FI kissed me on the summit and told me "I'm so glad you got me out here!" It made my day :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards