Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Trumpet Style Dress

Does anyone have any advice for sitting down in a trumpet style dress? My dress is perfect and I love it but I'm having a hard time trying to sit down. 

Re: Trumpet Style Dress

• Options
    If you are having a really hard time sitting down then it is because your dress is too tight around your lower half.  Also, when you go to sit down pull your dress up (around your hip/thigh area) and it should allow you more room.

• Options
    Thank you very much, I'll try that! :)
  • Options
    People accustomed to wearing knits or flexible casual clothes often do not choose a size that allows 2 inches or so of ease with dressy fabrics with a tight inflexible weave. The result is wrinkles and pulling the gown out of shape (irreversible after hours of repeated standing or sitting.)

The gown is tapered too tightly. Have it let out, or loose an inch or two.
    Practice pulling the gown up from mid thigh towards waist as you sit,also, as previous poster suggests. This applies even if a trumpet style or sheath is loosely fit over slim hips and thighs. When you sit the angle change and the way your pelvis spreads simply takes more room. With inflexible material, hiking the dress up a bit gives you some room.

• Options
    I had to hike my dress up to sit. In some pictures when I'm sitting you can see that there is a big dress fold/wrinkle at my hip creases. It would have been better if I had an extra inch in the dress, but oh well. I was perfectly comfortable standing, and it was fine when I was sitting kinda "perched" on the edge of the chair. I didn't feel uncomfortable overall. But I definitely should have ordered the dress a size up and had it altered down, instead of ordering what ended up being my EXACT size. 
  • Options
    I had a fit flare, which when i first tried it on i could barely sit it in and panicked a bit.  I had them take it out about 1/2 inch and it was perfect.  Still very nicely fitted but i was able to breath, sit, dance...all very important!!    If you do hike it up at all to sit, be careful!  I hiked mine up to use the bathroom and didn't notice at the time, but in some of the pictures later in the night i could see the under layer bulged a little, it wasn't nicely smoothed out.   
  • Options
    Because knees to waist is a common problem fit area most gowns have the potential to be let out up to 1/2 inch times 2 at each of 2 to 4 major seams without being noticeable. Even a total of 2 inches is a lot of ease of movement gained.
  • Options
    I had the luck of trying on one trumpet dress in two different sizes (though ultimately not the dress I bought). There was a big difference in being able to sit between just a single size. The appearance of the lower half of the dress was just about the same, but having a little more room in the skirt allowed me to sit. In the smaller size I essentially had to perch without actually sitting. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards