Chit Chat

Unusual Holiday Dish Recipes

2»

Re: Unusual Holiday Dish Recipes

• Is cream cheese and pepper jelly weird?  That's a staple for us. 

Christmas morning we have breakfast casserole (kind of like a savory bread pudding type thing).  Christmas dinner is normal--my side does Thanksgiving 2.0, and FI's side does some type of beef roast (tenderloin or prime rib). 

New years is the day for ham, pork, collards, black eyed peas, and cornbread.  With plenty of tomatoes and pepper sauce.

• Inkdancer said:
    Oh, pepperoni rolls! They are a you better have them or it isn't Christmas thing. Homemade bread shaped into little tiny perfect loaves, about the length of a thumb, and stuffed with good quality pepperoni. God invented these so there would be the perfect thing to go with wine. 
    Also great as a side with homemade minestrone.

Moose will eat about twenty, if not stopped. 
    My oldest boy's best friend calls and asks when pepperoni roll baking is scheduled, to coincide his holiday visit. Like Moose, he needs to be watched around them.
    Nobody watches me, so I hide some. 

Don't even compare them to pigs in a blanket. A pig in a blanket is a very lowly distant cousin that lays in bed dreaming that they were a pepperoni roll. 
    When I make pepperoni rolls, I make them the size of a small loaf of bread and add mozzarella.
    I do the small ones with pepperoni and cheese, then pile them in a bundt pan with melted butter and Italian seasonings like pull-apart bread. 

• ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Inkdancer said:
    Oh, pepperoni rolls! They are a you better have them or it isn't Christmas thing. Homemade bread shaped into little tiny perfect loaves, about the length of a thumb, and stuffed with good quality pepperoni. God invented these so there would be the perfect thing to go with wine. 

My oldest boy's best friend calls and asks when pepperoni roll baking is scheduled, to coincide his holiday visit. Like Moose, he needs to be watched around them.

Don't even compare them to pigs in a blanket. A pig in a blanket is a very lowly distant cousin that lays in bed dreaming that they were a pepperoni roll. 
    When I make pepperoni rolls, I make them the size of a small loaf of bread and add mozzarella.
    I do the small ones with pepperoni and cheese, then pile them in a bundt pan with melted butter and Italian seasonings like pull-apart bread. 
    How does this work? You smoosh them together, and then let them rise and bake them? I like this idea. But Moosey would probably have a meltdown if I varied the original. 
  • larrygaga said:
    Russian Tea Cakes. Apparently nobody I know IRL even knows what these are, except my family. They are ever present at weddings and christmas.  I'm sure they aren't that weird.

Also, we don't have christmas dinner. Everyone brings appitzers and my mom will make a random soup voted upon at thanksgiving. Snacks all eve and day!!!
    These are standard Christmas eating in my house. Who are these heathens you know, that don't know these cookies? These are a classic!
  • I don't think our recipes are all that different but I'm trying a new recipe this year that everyone is excited to try.

Chocolate salami: http://www.pbs.org/food/kitchen-vignettes/chocolate-salami/
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited June 2015

• Inkdancer said:

How does this work? You smoosh them together, and then let them rise and bake them? I like this idea. But Moosey would probably have a meltdown if I varied the original. 

You don't even need to smoosh them, just drop them in, let them rise, and bake for... 45-60 minutes I believe.

Do them IN ADDITION to the original!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards