Chit Chat

UO

Re: UO

• UO: this is a weird one. I can't stand going to movie theaters. I don't know why, the idea of it is just appalling to me. Unless it's a movie where it's REALLY IMPORTANT to see it on a huge screen (and most don't meet this qualification IMO) then there's just no way I'm going. Besides, if I watch the movie at home then I can pause to go re-fill my cocktail. 
  • UO: this is a weird one. I can't stand going to movie theaters. I don't know why, the idea of it is just appalling to me. Unless it's a movie where it's REALLY IMPORTANT to see it on a huge screen (and most don't meet this qualification IMO) then there's just no way I'm going. Besides, if I watch the movie at home then I can pause to go re-fill my cocktail. 
    I ONLY go to the fancy schmancy movie theater that refills my dranks at my seat while i'm watching the movie. Also, they feed you fancy shit like burricotta with pecan and almond spread.
    Places like this exist?

• steph861steph861 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    amelisha said:
    I don't like big, critically-acclaimed TV dramas (see: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy etc. etc. etc.) Sad TV just depresses me and dragging myself through it week after week is no fun at all. I don't care how good the acting is or the writing or the production. It's sad and it makes me sad. 
    I've never watched any of these shows, and have no intention to. Or True Blood, Scandal, Doctor Who, or Downtown Abbey. 
    God, I'm so fucking over Downton Abbey. I watched the first three seasons, and only the first one was actually good. Why are people still losing their minds over it?

I ONLY go to the fancy schmancy movie theater that refills my dranks at my seat while i'm watching the movie. Also, they feed you fancy shit like burricotta with pecan and almond spread.
    Yeah we don't have places like this in my area. There is a really awesome theater in Chicago that has very delicious bacon popcorn and a really good bar, but that's too far. 

And honestly I think my problem with theaters is more of an anxiety thing. Being locked in a dark room surrounded by strangers? Can't handle it. And no, I know we're not really "locked" in but I feel like it. 

And also I hate crowds. So anyplace where I feel stuck in a crowd is not gonna be a good time for me. I'm basically a curmudgeon. 
    Me too. Sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, people all around me making noises...ugh. People keep telling me that movie theaters are nicer than they used to be but still a big nope.

I love going to the drive in, though, so the only time I see new movies is in the summer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kat1114 said:
    My next UO is that there's just an unhealthy amount of child worship nowadays. TB is so nuts with their kids that they make even my short stints as a baby sitter look like Betty Draper.

But is it any wonder why more people are choosing not to have kids when parenting is SO over the top?
    I would also like to add I can't stand things like preschool/kindergarten graduation. We wonder why kids feel so entitled to everything, yet we celebrate every fucking thing they do, no matter how minor.

Same with trophies for every kid and not keeping score. Once the kid is old enough to get the basics of the game (i.e. not herding cats like a 3yo's basketball game) and knows how to COUNT, you need to keep score. It's healthy to lose - it teaches you the importance of practice and coping skills. Sometimes you can try your hardest and still fail and that's OK.
    Also, once kids can count, they are keeping score themselves, so I don't understand the point on not doing it officially. I used to ref soccer in a "fun" league where everyone gets a trophy and there are no winners/losers.

The 3-4 year olds didn't care, but you can bet after the 5-6/7-8 games, you'd hear the kids saying "yay we won 3-1!"
  • emmaaa said:
    UO: this is a weird one. I can't stand going to movie theaters. I don't know why, the idea of it is just appalling to me. Unless it's a movie where it's REALLY IMPORTANT to see it on a huge screen (and most don't meet this qualification IMO) then there's just no way I'm going. Besides, if I watch the movie at home then I can pause to go re-fill my cocktail. 
    Places like this exist?
    The do! https://www.ipictheaters.com/default.aspx
  • People who refer to their clothes by their brand name. "My North Face is dirty!". "Can I bring my Coach wristlet into the game?". 

STFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    My step-mom called her car The Passat.  It made me stabby
  • emmaaa said:
    UO: this is a weird one. I can't stand going to movie theaters. I don't know why, the idea of it is just appalling to me. Unless it's a movie where it's REALLY IMPORTANT to see it on a huge screen (and most don't meet this qualification IMO) then there's just no way I'm going. Besides, if I watch the movie at home then I can pause to go re-fill my cocktail. 
    Places like this exist?
    I love iPic! We just got a new dine-in theater in our city. It's not as nice as iPic, but both the tickets/booze are cheaper.
  • People who refer to their clothes by their brand name. "My North Face is dirty!". "Can I bring my Coach wristlet into the game?". 

My mom is a HUGE offender here. And she really only wears mid-tier/high end stuff if the logo is visible. If it isn't, she'll constantly remind you what the brand is. Drives me up the wall.

• emmaaa said:
    Places like this exist?
    Uh! Too bad there isn't one near me. until then, I will stay at my home and enjoy movies.

• emmaaa said:
    Places like this exist?
    yep.   Ruined me from watching movies in a regular theater.  

I haven't been to the movie theater since we moved from NOLA.  Which was 2 years ago today that we moved.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • emmaaa said:
    Places like this exist?
    I love iPic and am so sad that there isn't one in Toronto. We have VIP screens at some theatres, but it's not the same :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• emmaaa said:
    Places like this exist?
    ...or The Alamo (which not only serves food & booze but also doesn't allow unaccompanied kids & no babies and enforces as strict "no talking/texting" rule)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • emmaaa said:
    Places like this exist?
    ...or The Alamo (which not only serves food & booze but also doesn't allow unaccompanied kids & no babies and enforces as strict "no talking/texting" rule)
    The dine-in theater in our city won't even allow children under 13 to PG-13/R movies, even if they are accompanied by an adult. I love it! 
  • I'll fully admit I have crazy love for Taylor Swift.  The Blank Space and Shake It Off videos are amazing. 

I can't take movies and/or shows involving space travel or aliens (except the Alien series).  

I fell asleep in all three Lord of the Rings movies... in the theater.  

I can't stand words like "bae" and "totes" and other unnecessary abbreviations, tYpInG lYkE tHiS (oh my goodness that is hard to do - seriously, why do people do that?), and excessive hashtagging.  

I don't even know what "ratchet," "turnt," and "basic bitch" mean.  However, I took a Buzzfeed quiz, and I am a basic bitch, as it turns out.  I check Urban Dictionary a lot more than usual these days.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:
    Places like this exist?
    Uh! Too bad there isn't one near me. until then, I will stay at my home and enjoy movies.
    We have a different brand of luxury movie theater here. It's rad: http://www.cinepolisusa.com

I'm sure there are lots of different brands. Maybe try googling "luxury movie theater" and see if there is something in your area?
  • Add me to the no HP list. 
    People who refer to their clothes by their brand name. "My North Face is dirty!". "Can I bring my Coach wristlet into the game?". 

My step-mom called her car The Passat.  It made me stabby
    Hahahahahaaa that reminds me of an old co-worker I had. She thought she was hot shit and always referred to her car as the make and model. "I need to put gas in 2010 Dodge Journey". "The kids spilled pop in my 2010 Dodge Journey". I was making fun of her to my mom and sister and we still refer to our cars like that sometimes. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • blabla89 said:
    Me too. Sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, people all around me making noises...ugh. People keep telling me that movie theaters are nicer than they used to be but still a big nope.

I love going to the drive in, though, so the only time I see new movies is in the summer.
    People talking during movies is one thing that will absolutely, every time, get me ragey in about a minute, so I avoid theaters unless it really should be seen on a big screen or the movie has been out a while and the theater will be pretty empty.  Agree about the cocktail refills at home!  I do like the theaters that serve drinks and cheese platters, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

I love Taylor Swift.

I hate Adam Sandler movies.

I think ombre hair looks ridiculous.

THANK YOU. Looks like your damn roots grew out. Truly terrible.
    Yup. Back in the day, it used to be "I couldn't afford to go and get my hair colored so this is what it looks like after 6 months." I'm really waiting for the black roots and platinum blonde ombre to come into style. I've seen some where it's like 1-2" of regrowth, but I want to see some real commitment to the style.

• UO: Like some others, I don't like Doctor Who AT ALL. I tried getting in to it in college because all of my friends loved it but I just don't enjoy it or get the appeal.

- In fact, I basically don't watch TV. H and I don't have cable, we recently installed an antenna and now I sometimes watch PBS so I can catch old episodes of Antiques Roadshow.

-  I hate iPhones and pretty much all other Apple related products. I don't understand why people line up for freaking days to get a new iPhone every 6 months.

- I hate soda.

- I don't eat fast food period and I think it's all nasty.

- I LOVED the touches of burlap we used in my wedding. Oh AND the mason jars we recycled.

- I think the obsession with bacon on everything is silly. Bacon is tasty...but it seriously doesn't belong everywhere and especially not on cupcakes.

- On that note, I don't like cupcake wedding cakes because I don't like lots of icing.

- I also don't care for the beard craze. I love that my H prefers to stay clean shaven.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards