Not Engaged Yet
Options

Opinions on Engagement Ring Shopping Together

2»

Re: Opinions on Engagement Ring Shopping Together

• Options
    I always thought going ring shopping together would take away the surprise of getting engaged, but my bf and I had been talking about getting engaged for a while anyway.  He wanted to make sure I got a ring I really liked, so we decided to go look at rings together.  I was happy we did because not only did I get to see how the rings looked on my finger (much different than I expected from the pictures!), but I also had a lot of fun trying them all on!  My bf also got to see how much I enjoyed the shopping process, which made him happy too.  In the end, I found a couple of settings that I loved (he already had a diamond), and we ended up going back to the store together later so that we could have the diamond set in the ring that I wanted.  So now the ring itself isn't a surprise, but I love it so much that I don't mind.  I am also getting antsy for the actual proposal now, but I am trying hard to be patient and to just let it happen because I know he has it all planned out.  And since I have no idea what he has planned or when he will do it, I will definitely be surprised when it happens! 
  • Options
    I highly recommend going shopping together. I had about 4 rings that I wanted to look at and one of them I thought was THE one, it was a Simon G ring. When I put it on my finger it looked SO different and I didn't like it all. The rings look so different in person than online. They also look different on your finger too!

My fiance said that was the one he was planning to order and I am so thankful that we went shopping together and found my ring! I ran across a Verragio ring on Pinterest and called a jeweler and they had it in stock. I thought oh it's pretty I will just try it on and I feel in love with it. In fact I almost cried and it was the very first ring I had ever tried on! I tried it on a week later after going shopping elsewhere and got that overwhelming emotional feeling again! It was a great experience! GO shopping together to avoid getting a ring that you don't love.
  • Options
    I highly recommend going shopping together. I had about 4 rings that I wanted to look at and one of them I thought was THE one, it was a Simon G ring. When I put it on my finger it looked SO different and I didn't like it all. The rings look so different in person than online. They also look different on your finger too!

My fiance said that was the one he was planning to order and I am so thankful that we went shopping together and found my ring! I ran across a Verragio ring on Pinterest and called a jeweler and they had it in stock. I thought oh it's pretty I will just try it on and I feel in love with it. In fact I almost cried and it was the very first ring I had ever tried on! I tried it on a week later after going shopping elsewhere and got that overwhelming emotional feeling again! It was a great experience! GO shopping together to avoid getting a ring that you don't love.
    The same but opposite (does that make sense?) happened to me! 

I saw a Simon G ring on a commercial - and I was like - "hmm, that one's pretty.", then tried it on and FELL IN LOVE. I am now slightly obsessed with most simon G things. Its an issue. 

This one just cause I can:

Its on order and I can't wait. I'm starting to get into that BSC time. I am doing the best I can to ward it off but I can feel it creeping in . . . . ahh!!

Sorry for the thread high-jack. I think I mentioned earlier -but I am for sure in favor of shopping together.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    BLUE SAPPHIRE LOVE!

Also @bethsmiles‌ my patience pants for you are super thin too!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Also to OP - We shopped together for my ring. I was able to show H elements of rings I loved or hated and he did the same. He really doesn't like halo rings.

We noted designs we liked and he went to a local jeweller with photos of specific things I wanted. White gold, side stones, trellis setting, blue sapphires and we had the center diamond already.

I knew what my ring would look like really, but it still blew me away when he opened the ring box.

Shop together and try things on. I originally wanted a solitare ring and ended up not liking it on my hand. A 3 stone suited me better.

image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Beautiful Simon G, I love the twist! :)
  • Options
    You can ring shop together than point out what you like and then leave it up to him to make the final decision. Or he can always propose with a placeholder ring and then you can choose the ring you'll wear together. We did the latter and we both love the ring. I was incredibly surprised when he proposed and it allowed me to be as picky as I wanted and get a ring that I'm proud and happy to wear.

And I totally agree with previous posters about BLUE SAPPHIRES! My ring has a gorgeous deep blue sapphire and I love it. 
  • Options
    Swazzle said:

Ditto PPs. Even if you know exactly what the ring is going to look like, you don't have to know when exactly he plans to propose so there will definitely still be some surprise to it. 

I always said I wanted a princess cut diamond in a solitaire setting. Guess what? We shopped for my ring together and I realized I hated how that looked on my hand. 
    Ditto and this just recently happened to me.

BF is deployed so he had my mom and I go pick out rings a couple weeks ago. I went in saying "cushion cut cushion cut cushion cut". What he is purchasing is a round, double halo with a round center stone. She put me in others but I only had "the face" with the round one.

I think it's good that you pick out your ring, if that's your thing, because you're going to have it for a very long time. You should be happy with what you have! :-)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I haven't been on in awhile but I narrowed it to three settings. He's going to pick the one he likes best whenever he feels the time is right! I am so excited and highly recommend to everyone to go ring shopping it was a great experience and so much fun. I think my boyfriend even enjoyed it too! :)
  • Options
    I am going to show this thread to SO and hopefully it will convince him that this is a process we should do TOGETHER! He insists that I should trust his "good taste".

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oh, this made me think of something I don't think I've ever told here:

My hands have tremors. It runs in my family - my uncle has them as well, though mine are less pronounced. When FI and I were ring shopping, I couldn't hold my hand still enough for him to get a good picture. He reached out and held my fingers to stabilize my hand so he could get a picture. Melted my heart.

It's also why I only use the same picture for my e-ring every time I post it. He's stabilizing my hand and taking the picture in that shot, too.
  • Options
    @leighstar10 - That is so exciting! I'm glad you and your SO figured out a way for you to get some say but also keep an element of surprise!

• Options
    leighstar10leighstar10 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014
    Oh, this made me think of something I don't think I've ever told here:

My hands have tremors. It runs in my family - my uncle has them as well, though mine are less pronounced. When FI and I were ring shopping, I couldn't hold my hand still enough for him to get a good picture. He reached out and held my fingers to stabilize my hand so he could get a picture. Melted my heart.

It's also why I only use the same picture for my e-ring every time I post it. He's stabilizing my hand and taking the picture in that shot, too.

So sweet! stefuhknee- He may have great taste but it really matters how it looks on your hand too! You should totally go shopping together even if it is just so he can get an idea of what you like and of course he can make the final decision! :)
  • Options
    We went shopping for a ring about an hour after he proposed.  There is no "right" or "wrong" way to get engaged.  Do what feels best for the two of you.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I went by myself to check out a ring I found online, wrote the style number down and gave it to FI. He surprised me by getting it without telling me and changing the center stone and proposing without my knowledge. 

I like it because I get a ring I like and he didn't waste his money on a ring I might not have liked as much. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I forgot to get on here and announce he proposed! I hope this thread helps other knotties get the ring of their dreams like I did! <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards