Honeymoon Discussions

Best Luggage Brands and/or Places to Buy Them?

This is actually unrelated to my honeymoon, as that is taking place awhile from now.  However, my fiance and my family are taking a trip to Australia in about one month and we are all in desperate need of new luggage.  Yet, we all seem to be lost as to which is a good brand to buy, and also easy on the wallet.

Does anyone have any recommendations for luggage that will withstand our long journey AND be friendly to our wallets?  Preferably luggage sets, but I'm open to any option!

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to give input!

Re: Best Luggage Brands and/or Places to Buy Them?

• Do you want something pretty or just something that will last?  LL Bean may not be prettiest (or the cheapest, actually) luggage, but it comes with a lifetime guarantee.  I've had the suitcase I got for camp when I was 10 replaced maybe 3 times - every time they give you a brand new suitcase.  While it may not be the cheapest, it's a really good investment

• We carry Rimowa and Tumi, but not sure that fits your definition of "easy on the wallet". I just know that we travel all over the world and our bags are still going strong!

• Thank you @dcbride86 and @Jells2dot0 !  I will look in to both of those!  I don't really need anything pretty (although that's always nice).  I figured I'd jazz it up with a ribbon or something so I can differentiate it when waiting at baggage claim! 
  • We carry Rimowa and Tumi, but not sure that fits your definition of "easy on the wallet". I just know that we travel all over the world and our bags are still going strong!

Yes - those are definitely the best.  Expensive, but amazing.  I used my mom's hand me down Tumi carryon throughout college and it lasted at least 15 years of CONSTANT travel (my mom flies at least every other week for work)
  • It really depends on how much you travel and how hard you are on your luggage.  If you anticipate walking a lot with your roller, the wheels are going to take a beating. 

Like @Jells2dot0, I love Tumi.  I had a Heys for about three years and loved the design and how much I could fit in it, but it bit the dust in the middle of a work trip.  But I'm really hard on my luggage and travel a lot.  [You can find Heys at department stores and discount stores like TJMaxx and Marshall's.]  I think Heys is a solid option for decent quality that's not too pricey and looks good.

I bought a Victorinox Swiss Army during that trip, which was expensive but supposedly indestructible.  You can walk into any of the stores and get it replaced, no questions asked.  You can even register the bag so that if the airline loses it, it should come back to you.  Swiss Army has lots of different lines; Victorinox is the best quality. 

I would probably order on Amazon.

• Luggage brand names mean very little.  They are almost all manufactured in China.  Ours take a beating, since we travel internationally, so we look for good construction, portability (independent four wheels or spinners), and color.  Don't buy black or gray.  Get something colorful that you will be able to recognize when it comes off the carousel in the airport.
    Here is a Consumer Reports article on choosing luggage.  Don't spend a lot.  My favorite suitcase was under $50 from T. J. Maxx.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/07/luggage-buying-guide-what-to-look-for-before-you-shop/index.htm

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I LOVE the hard-sided luggage. Mine is just inexpensive Samsonite, but I have had probably fifteen or twenty much more expensive bags over the years (used to be a travel agent so I got that stuff free at work events periodically) and I'll never go back from hard-sided with the spinner wheels. I just clean it with a Magic Eraser and it's good as new after every trip. And I love that the two sides can both be packed separately- makes organizing much easier. (And also, mine is hot pink...)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for the responses!!  @CMGragain thank you for that website!  Very informative!  Exactly what I was looking for.
  • We refuse to spend alot of money on suitcases.  The things just get thrown around.  We buy either Samsonite or Ricardo from TJ Maxx.  We don't care about sets, because if a bag needs replacing, we just replace that one, not the whole set.
  • amelisha said:
    I LOVE the hard-sided luggage. Mine is just inexpensive Samsonite, but I have had probably fifteen or twenty much more expensive bags over the years (used to be a travel agent so I got that stuff free at work events periodically) and I'll never go back from hard-sided with the spinner wheels. I just clean it with a Magic Eraser and it's good as new after every trip. And I love that the two sides can both be packed separately- makes organizing much easier. (And also, mine is hot pink...)
    I thought about switching, but I actually don't like the packing on both sides.  I also don't like that expadability is pretty much limited.
  • I agree with @JoanE2012 TJMaxx or Marshall's is the place to go for good luggage at a good price.  I got a nice set of Nine West about 10 years ago and its still in good shape and I travel a lot.  And if anything I can go back to get more luggage anytime I don't mind if they don't match.
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    JoanE2012 said:
    amelisha said:
    I thought about switching, but I actually don't like the packing on both sides.  I also don't like that expadability is pretty much limited.
    Mine has an expansion panel in the middle. But I'm a light packer and have never had to use it so I don't know what its limitations are.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My parents bought me a full set of Jaguar luggage when I graduated high school in 1991. It is still going strong. I have been looking for a new set because it is a floral pattern, and I feel it looks so dated, but I am hesitant to give it up because of how well it has held up the last 25 years!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    My parents bought me a full set of Jaguar luggage when I graduated high school in 1991. It is still going strong. I have been looking for a new set because it is a floral pattern, and I feel it looks so dated, but I am hesitant to give it up because of how well it has held up the last 25 years!
    My parents also gave me luggage when I graduated high school.  Ricardo.  The only reason I got new is because I wanted the 360 spinner wheels.  Otherwise I would've still probably had it!
  • Thank you, everyone!  Very informative!  I agree with a lot of you...I really want the spinner wheels.  Other than that, I don't really have any requirements!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards