September 2015 Weddings

How's Everyone Doing With Finding "The One" or "Saying Yes to the Dress"?

Love to see and hear all about it fellow month twins.  :-)

Designer chosen or designers considered?
Dress name or style #?
Dress type?
How long did you look or have you been looking?
Did you (Will you) stay in your budget?
What do you love about your dress the most?

Feel free to answer the above or just say whatever you wish.  

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

Re: How's Everyone Doing With Finding "The One" or "Saying Yes to the Dress"?

• Mine was one of the first wedding purchases I made. It's an Oleg Cassini and I adore it. Photos don't do it justice. I tried on about 10 dresses total maybe? I went into a Davids Bridal on a whim by myself when I had time to kill and tried on 2 or 3. I found one I kinda liked so I brought my mom in a few days later to see it and tried on a few more. We narrowed it down to 2 I liked better than the original and brought my MOH and other bridesmaid in the next day for their opinions. It was unanimous. My mom insisted upon paying for it. I looooove the back. It makes my waist look tiny and the train flows so beautifully. I'm not doing a veil, just a clip in my hair. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jennyleigh16 - the details on your dress are very pretty. :-)

• I haven't ordered my dress yet, but I've found the one that I will order.
    I'd been looking on-and-off for maybe a month and tried on about 15 dresses total before I found it.
    It's exactly the style that I went in knowing that I wanted, looks great on my body shape, and I'm in love with the lace details- It looks like leaves. Our ceremony is going to be outside and we will be having a lot of rustic and nature elements for our reception decor so it fits perfectly.
    It is over my budget, but my Grandma has graciously offered to pay for half of it, which will put the portion I will be paying below my budget. :)
    I've also purchased a blinged-up sash/belt to wear with it to add a little sparkle.

The pictures on David's Bridal really don't show how nice it is.

• I got my dress almost right away it's by Bonny Bridals.  It's a fit and flare with a ton of ruffles and a good amount of glitter (the photos do not show the bling enough!).  It was the second or third dress I tried on and I stayed so under budget when leaving the bridal shop it was like the IKEA "start the car!" commercial.  I love how the dress isn't like every other dress I've seen but still bridal,  I got it at a sample sale so it's a little harder to find pictures of it (retired style).

http://www.onlyforbrides.net/bonny-bridal-wedding-dresses-style-8004-p-690.html

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CourtC77CourtC77 member
    First Answer First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

I ordered my dress last weekend after probably trying on about 40-50 dresses over a 2 month span. I was so indecisive and the more I tried on, the more overwhelmed I got. The dress I ended up choosing was perfect for me and the style of our wedding. I knew I wanted something lace that was both classic and simple. I also knew I wanted something form fitting (slim A-line or mermaid/fit and flare). I tried on one ball gown just out of curiosity but it overwhelmed me as I am pretty short. The dress I choose is Sottero & Midgley's 'Trinity' gown which is a slim A-line. I plan to add a little crinoline to make sure it flows out at the bottom nicely so its a little more mermaid like. It comes with a weird silver belt which I didn't like so I purchased a different peal/rhinestone belt that really suits the dress perfectly. The best part was that it came in way under budget!

• @britneydel - Great shape on that gown and so is the detailing.  A bling belt will be perfect with that dress.

@futuremrs2015 - Retired (previous year) dresses are the best bargains I think especially if the gown is classic and never goes out of style. 

@CourtC77 - That dress is perfect for you.  Sottero & Midgley is one of my favorite bridal lines.

• I had tried on maybe 10 gowns prior to visiting the salon where I found my dress.  At the salon I tried on an additional 12 gowns before finding the gown I purchased.  The 12th gown I tried on I really liked.  It was an all lace sheath and my mom loved it but I felt it was a safe dress for me and what everyone would expect me to wear.  I had come to the salon with 4 dress pics that I liked and wanted to try on and the rest the bridal consultants chose for me keeping in mind the styles I said I liked.  Well for the 13th gown the owner said try something different and I have the perfect gown and boy did she ever!  

The owner came out with a strapless satin fit & flare with the most gorgeous flared train.  There was no beading or embellishments of any kind which was totally opposite of what I said I wanted. I tried it on for the heck of it and, bingo, the dress found me.  LOL!!  The dress was a sample only tried on once in perfect condition.  The salon owner said it was mine for 50% off.  SOLD!  

I am so glad she brought the gown out for me to try on otherwise I would never have thought to try on a gown in that style.  I love it so much for the material and how glamorous it looks.  It is also totally opposite of what anyone including my FH would think I would wear.  It is "Iris" by Reem Acra.  I got the dress only not the bolero which is shown in the pic below.

• I found my dress months ago. I found it the very first time I looked after trying on about 10 or so dresses. It's a Stella York fit and flare. It was between this one and a mermaid gown but this one was more comfortable.

I feel great in it and everyone loved it. It gives me a good shape and even better the gown with the pictured veil was just under budget! I didn't purchase the belt pictured but I plan on finding something similar to add a little bling.
  • Looked for almost 2 months at various salons, stopped at Alfred Angelo on a whim and fell in love.  The consultant pulled dresses with me.  This one was her suggestion all the way, never thought I would like the style but it looked fabulous on!
     Have yet to order the dress, but know for sure it is the one.  Now to lose a few pounds before ordering.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I ordered my dress two weeks ago!  It was the first and only dress I tried on, but I had known for months it might be "the one" after I saw it online.

It's Maggie Sottero Sahara Dress in Ivory.  Apparently I can't load the picture from my work computer :(.

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=4MC832LU&page=0&pageSize=36&attrib30=332&keywordText=

I am so excited for all of us September '15 brides!! Congrats on finding your beautiful dresses ladies!

• I'm trying on dresses on the 13th and I am nervous. I've looked at dresses from a few designers online and I keep coming back to Maggie Sottero - most of the dresses I've saved on my inspiration board are hers! 

I definitely want something simple, as I can't imagine needing four people to help me pee. :) 

Love all the dresses I am seeing in this post too! I look forward to having the "I FOUND IT!" moment.
  • I had my eye on Anna Campbell dresses even before I was engaged, so I knew there was a certain type of dress I wanted. Luckily, I live near the only location in Canada that carries these beautiful gowns and I made an appointment there for a trunk show this past November.

I tried on other gowns twice before that appointment just to see if there was anything else out there that I might like, and I didn't want to rule out a different dress that might look great that I would have overlooked. I found some that I liked, but didn't feel the same as the first Anna Campbell dress I tried on at the trunk show. When you know, you know! Finding 'the one' made the wedding planning process feel much more real!

My mom had offered to pay for my dress, but since it was a bit outside her budget (which I knew beforehand) I offered to take on the difference and we were both happy with that!

I love that my dress is lace, simple to put on, comfortable, and classic. I feel like the best version of myself in this dress. Oh, and I love the back!  Here's some pics from the internet:

• island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2014
    I have to say everyone's dresses are gorgeous!

@nicolie1125 - The bodice on your gown is very pretty.

@ddoane - Our dresses look very similar.  I love the shape on your gown.

@mhoffman17 - I so love Maggie Sottero.  The details on your dress are beautiful.

@selfieslob - Have fun dress shopping.  I hope you have an amazing experience and you find your dress on the 13th.  

@jleebles -  I've never heard of Anna Campbell but goodness your dress is to die for. That back is awesome.

• smoulin10smoulin10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2014
    I found my dress back in July. I went to 2 other stores before the last one. I had tried on about 12 dresses in the first store and prob a good 15 the second store. The last place I went I only tried on 5 or 6 and the one I purchased was the 2nd to try on. 

I loved it on me. It was comfortable and everyone that was with me loved it on me. It came in either Ivory or White. I choose Ivory since thats what i tried on in the store.  It looked really nice on me. The picture does absolutely NO justice for it. The detail and the embellishments/sparkle. Absolutely gorgeous The designer is Oleg Cassini

• island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2014
    @smoulin10 - Boy you tried on some dresses didn't you before you found "the one".  Your dress looks elegant and comfortable for sure.

• I said yes to my dress last sat... and I'm in love!!! I have been looking since September and I was getting frustrated because I was not please with the style they was showing me and the prices was ridiculous... I've been to Kleinfield's worse experience ever, been to Lotus not a big selection, went to wedding atelier in the city beautiful experience but was not in love with a dress then finally decided to give bridal reflections a try and fell in love with a WINNIE Couture gown... I have been looking at this dress for weeks but putting it on was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT.
  • @selfieslob I am you! Trying on dresses on the 13th also and love Maggie Sottero. Not much pf a dress person though so I am totally nervous. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • htgiuffrehtgiuffre member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2014
    @jleebles I also got an Anna Campbell dress at a trunk show! I got the Giselle style, it actually just came in and I will be going to try it on/get it fitted in a few weeks!
  • Anyone go to Vows Bridal Outlet, the "I Found the Gown" show salon, in Massachusetts?  I've always wondered about the selection there.  The pricing seems fantastic from the show.  

• @porkchops926 Good luck! We can do this! :)
  • I purchased my dress in October on my first (only) shopping excursion. I had a bunch of ideas in mind, and was in love with a particular designer. I scheduled appointments at 2 different stores on the same day. The first store was a small, local boutique my mom had found out about during a chance conversation with an acquaintance, and I wasn't even that interested in going there. Mom really wanted to go, and she has been super laid-back and supportive (emotionally and financially) during this process, so I couldn't tell her no. I was more excited about the second store. By the end of my appointment at the first store, I had narrowed it down to three, and I had had such a wonderful experience (despite being at the tail end of a sinus infection) and feeling weak and easily winded) that I was ready to just pick a dress and order right then & there. My mom & friends convinced me to go to the second store. Ended up hating the second store and everybody was getting cranky and hungry (although still super supportive), so I demanded we leave to go eat some delicious pizza because I was DONE and didn't want to try on another dress. Over pizza, we looked over the pictures for about 3 minutes, I picked the most flattering dress, and ordered the next day. I have been asked a few times about knowing it was "The One." My advice? Not everybody will have a "The One" moment. My fiance is The One.
    I got Alfred Angelo, style 1708.
    Satin A-Line with a big train
    I spent about 2.5 hours looking.
    Technically, I stayed within budget, but only because my mom offered to throw in a little extra because she thought my budget was too low :)
    The thing I love most about my dress is that it made me feel like an absolute princess, even when I felt and looked awful.
  • @carrie0924 - Haha!  Love your comment on your FH being "The One" and not your dress.  :-)  Your dress has a pretty skirt and yay for Mom kicking in with the budget.  

• CourtC77CourtC77 member
    First Answer First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

@island07b2b - I went to Vows in my dress search as its only about a 40 min drive from me and they do have a pretty good selection of dresses just none that seemed to fit my style. They had alot of satin gowns and I was looking for fitted lace. Although, I did try on a gorgeous satin Lazaro gown and was reallyyy tempted but ultimately decided I should stick with a lace dress. The prices are pretty good but not AS good as they seem on the show. They mostly all within my budget but if someone was looking for something really discounted then they would probably be disappointed. I'd say they averaged between $1,000-$4,000.

• @CourtC77 - Thanks for the info on Vows.  It would seem like the salon is a bride's dream come true especially with the pricing.  I also saw on a few episodes that they offer a gown finder service.  If I lived in the area I would have definitely paid them a visit.  

So how are you doing on your search for that lace gown? 

• I posted this in the Attire & Accessories board, but just wanted to update that I got a dress! It was tough. I kept the poor consultant pulling things for three hours (I think it was a slow day at the salon). 

I didn't think I was a difficult person but nothing seemed all that special to me. And according to my mother, most of the things I put on looked like evening wear. Anyway, the consultant ended up letting me go around the floor and pull stuff myself towards the end, and I saw a dress that, on the hanger looked like something my grandma would wear, but I thought, fuck it, let me try it. It ended up being the best of the bunch, very unique and vintage which is what I wanted. 

Anyway, I don't have pics of me in it (until Dad gets around to emailing me his shots) but I ended up going with Maggie Sottero Verina. 
  • Everyone's dresses are all so gorgeous!

I bought my dress last month.  It was the 2nd boutique that I went to, the first dress I tried on there. Between both places, I tried on about a dozen dresses.    My consultant pulled it for me, and I'm so glad she did, because I probably would've never grabbed it myself. 

Before going shopping, I found a Paloma Blanca dress I loved! Neither shop had it, but I tried on similar styles. 

I ended up with a Matthew Christopher dress, style name-Vivian.  I love the lines on it that are detailed w tiny pearls.  The back is equally as stunning,w rhinestone buttons.  I just had that "feeling" when I tried on the dress and I can't wait to wear it. 

• @porkchops926 - That dress is amazing!  Lovely details and the back is stunning.

@futuremrsjms - Your dress is all glam.  It's very luxurious looking.  

• Thanks @island07b2b I was second guessing it for a bit wondering if sleeves were too matronly but people on TK have backed up my decision so I feel much better!

Are you going to end up checking out Vows? I was thinking of going there until I found mine, but it seems like a place worth checking out.
  • Thanks @island07b2b I was second guessing it for a bit wondering if sleeves were too matronly but people on TK have backed up my decision so I feel much better!

Are you going to end up checking out Vows? I was thinking of going there until I found mine, but it seems like a place worth checking out.
    I have my gown.  I've just always been curious about how good of a deal Vows actually is. There's no salon in my area that I am aware of that follows Vows' pricing model but if there was I would have been there for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards