Illinois-Chicago

Chicago Botanical Garden or Morton Arboretum?

Hey “Knotters”,I’ve been engaged for the longest time and FINALLY getting married July 2016 J (preferably the July 3rd I’m pretty flexible though). We’ve set a budget of $10,000. Estimated guests 60-100. My theme is a modern garden theme and would love to have it at either Chicago Botanical Garden or Morton Arboretum.  Their catering prices seem to be giving me a heart attack (LOL).  Is $10,000 a doable budget to have my dream wedding at either Chicago Botanical Garden or Morton Arboretum? My priorities for us and our guests are hotel, transportation, venue, food, music, photography. Please, I will appreciate any suggestions you have.  Thank you so much<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Re: Chicago Botanical Garden or Morton Arboretum?

• Hey “Knotters”,I’ve been engaged for the longest time and FINALLY getting married July 2016 J (preferably the July 3rd I’m pretty flexible though). We’ve set a budget of $10,000. Estimated guests 60-100. My theme is a modern garden theme and would love to have it at either Chicago Botanical Garden or Morton Arboretum.  Their catering prices seem to be giving me a heart attack (LOL).  Is $10,000 a doable budget to have my dream wedding at either Chicago Botanical Garden or Morton Arboretum? My priorities for us and our guests are hotel, transportation, venue, food, music, photography. Please, I will appreciate any suggestions you have.  Thank you so much 
    You will get a better response if you repost this on the Illinois/Chicago board.  I'm fairly certain there have been Chicago brides who have held receptions at both venues.  Be advised that over the 4th of July weekend, hotels in particular will be in high demand.  Fireworks are usually displayed on the 3rd as well, which always draws a big crowd. 
  • I looked at the Chicago Botanical Garden and it was $160 a head to start. After I saw that, I didn't stick around long enough to see if there were rental fees/ceremony fees involved as well. The thing to remember about Chicago Botanical Garden is that to enter the park for parking $25 a car unless you are a member. If you decide to have it there, I would be sure to let your guests know about the cost. If I was a guest at a wedding and didn't know about that fee to enter ahead of time, I would be really pissed. 

My FI and I were looking at a venue nearby and were thinking that we would take pictures at the CBG. We found out that they have a $150 photography fee and a $65 limo fee. They only give out the photography permits until 2:30 and you have to be done by 3:30. Their fees really add up!
  • I find the discussion boards  a little hard to navigate.  I might repost to Illinois/Chicago board.   You’ve made some good points here! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really a appreciate itJ!   <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So stressful to have a tight budget. (venting)  

• Looking at Morton Arboretum's website, you might be able to pull off a 60 person event in your budget if you don't do a Saturday night.  Their smallest room is $600 and their package rate is $90 per person.  That would put you at $6000 before tax and gratuity.  Good luck.
  • I also looked at the botanical garden and I'm sorry, but that won't happen for your guest count and budget. $160 a head won't even include taxes and service fees. 60*160= $9600 right there.

The Chicago Park District might actually be more reasonable. They have rental fees, but various catering companies to choose from. 

• Thank you! I'm looking at the Chicago Park district. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards