DIY Wedding Forum

Confetti Send Off - Need help!

We are doing a confetti send off. I'm going to cut paper and put them in glassine bags. I was wondering what kind of paper to use for it? I'm not sure tissue paper is heavy enough or cardstock is too heavy? What kind of paper did you use for your confetti send off?

Re: Confetti Send Off - Need help!

• MobKaz said:
    Have you checked with your wedding venue to see if they will even allow it? Many venues have banned confetti because of the issues regarding clean up. Please also consider how that confetti might impact the birds and other critters in the area that may regard that paper as a food source.
    Ditto.   My venue banned them.  For both clean up and the environmental impact.  Confetti is impossible to clean off grass or bushes.  

The club I work at bans them also.  Actually the only send-off you can do it simply lining the aisle and clapping.  No sparklers, bubbles, nothing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • fwtx5815fwtx5815 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014
    lyndausvi said:

MobKaz said:

Have you checked with your wedding venue to see if they will even allow it? Many venues have banned confetti because of the issues regarding clean up. Please also consider how that confetti might impact the birds and other critters in the area that may regard that paper as a food source.

Ditto.   My venue banned them.  For both clean up and the environmental impact.  Confetti is impossible to clean off grass or bushes.  

The club I work at bans them also.  Actually the only send-off you can do it simply lining the aisle and clapping.  No sparklers, bubbles, nothing.

--------edited bc no boxes -------------
    The only thing that my venue would allow is glow sticks. Or those bendable glow in the dark thingies (sorry I don't know what they're called). But anyway, that conversation with my venue coordinator, along with the thread I'm linking below made me realize that doing a grand exit was not an important part of the wedding planning for me and we've decided not to do a big exit at all:

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1045400/did-you-do-grand-exit-send-off#latest

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• 1.  As others have said, your venue might not even allow this, so ask before you even think about starting this project.

2.  If they will allow you to toss something and you are heavily invested in this grand send off thing, then please do something like Ecofetti, which is biodegradable, non-toxic, and water soluble, but even then your venue might not let you do Ecofetti because it can take awhile to dissolve still.  https://ecoparti.com/ecofetti
  • Or go with an old favorite - bird seed or flower petals.  you may want to give out some wands or sparklers to some of your folks as well.
  • Have you thought about the seed paper? We are doing ours in a backyard and they had no problem with the idea since the only thing it would do is grow flowers later. Kept us from having to clean it all back up
  • Have you thought about the seed paper? We are doing ours in a backyard and they had no problem with the idea since the only thing it would do is grow flowers later. Kept us from having to clean it all back up

LOL - you'll probably be the last one if this is the case because - weeds in grass - that's why...
  • What seed paper has weeds in it? Really have me wondering now if I should use it
  • I'm not an expert but I thought a weed was really just any plant that's unwanted. Wildflowers in my grass would be weeds to me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm not an expert but I thought a weed was really just any plant that's unwanted. Wildflowers in my grass would be weeds to me.

THIS!!!!!!!  How much herbicide is used each year to get rid of wildflowers in people's yards (dandelions, daisy, thistle, etc.)...  A weed is a plant that's unwanted in a particular location. 
  • My venue banned confetti of any sort, and sparklers (fire hazard in an old historic building). They only allow real flower petals. 

We're not even planning a send-off, though. Just didn't seem like a big deal to me, and there's a million other details to worry about. 
  • Anyone have other eco friendly day ideas for confetti?
  • Mrsby2015 said:

Anyone have other eco friendly day ideas for confetti?

I don't really think there is eco-friendly confetti...because even if it's "biodegradable", you're still tossing tiny pieces of garbage all over the place. 

What about bird seed? That will actually get consumed and won't just be garbage lying about. Bubbles might also work even though it's not "confetti". 

Also, be sure to ask your venue about restrictions. Ours didn't allow it - even bird seed. Consider ribbon wands or another alternative that won't get left behind.
    *********************************************************************************

• I've seen bubbles before. It was messy and, depending on the surface, slippery but it could work.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I agree with all the PPs. Our venue doesn't allow any "projectiles" or "flammable" materials for weddings, i.e. confetti in any form or sparklers. We are on City property and that is the rules for all their sites.
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I agree with all the PPs. Our venue doesn't allow any "projectiles" or "flammable" materials for weddings, i.e. confetti in any form or sparklers. We are on City property and that is the rules for all their sites.
    Guess that would rule out my "shooting off guns" at the end of my Texas wedding. Ye-haw.
  • justsie said:
    I agree with all the PPs. Our venue doesn't allow any "projectiles" or "flammable" materials for weddings, i.e. confetti in any form or sparklers. We are on City property and that is the rules for all their sites.
    Guess that would rule out my "shooting off guns" at the end of my Texas wedding. Ye-haw.
    We're Canadian, that's frowned upon...unless you're hunting. Is it a Camo wedding?
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    justsie said:
    We're Canadian, that's frowned upon...unless you're hunting. Is it a Camo wedding?
    Camo and Burlap. I'm actually marrying a mason jar so I can get it to wear the bright orange my *old* finace tried to fuss about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards