Wedding Invitations & Paper

When to send the Save the Date

Hello Knotties!

I was just hoping to get some advice on the appropriate time to send our Save the Dates. Our wedding is in early November and not destination for us (it's about 10mi from our home) but 90% of our guests will be coming from out of town. Is 10.5 months too early to send them out? I already have them and they're magnets so I feel like that makes them easier for the guests to keep track of (and more likely to not immediately pitch.) There is no chance for our guest list to change (well - at least not for anyone to be taken off of it)

I am definitely one of those anal brides that likes to check off as many things from the checklist as possible.

Re: When to send the Save the Date

• I agree that you should wait until after the new year.  Also - make sure you ONLY send STDs to people you're 100% sure you're inviting! 
  • Hello Knotties!

I was just hoping to get some advice on the appropriate time to send our Save the Dates. Our wedding is in early November and not destination for us (it's about 10mi from our home) but 90% of our guests will be coming from out of town. Is 10.5 months too early to send them out? I already have them and they're magnets so I feel like that makes them easier for the guests to keep track of (and more likely to not immediately pitch.) There is no chance for our guest list to change (well - at least not for anyone to be taken off of it)

I am definitely one of those anal brides that likes to check off as many things from the checklist as possible.

You and I are alike in that way! Our wedding is 3/28/2015 and while it's not OOT for us, it is for about 90% of our guests. FWIW, we sent our STDs in late July of 2014... so about 8 months from the wedding date. We also had solidified our guest list at that time (and had spoken with both sets of parents about the list) so we sent STDs to everyone on the list - but as others have advised, just remember anyone who gets an STD has to get an invite.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure you can send out STDs any time between 6 and 12 months before the event. Personally, I'd wait to mail yours until after New Years so they don't get lost in the shuffle of Christmas letters and packages.
    This. 

I'd send them as soon as the holidays are over. For me personally, I plan most of my PTO at the beginning of the year, so the more I know in the beginning, the easier it is for me to plan on attending.
    *********************************************************************************

• southernbelle0915 raises a good point. My sister works in the health care field and she needs a lot of advance notice to get the days off she wants. 

I think doing it with magnets is a great idea so far out in any case, I will never understand super fancy and expensive save the date cards that are not magnets. If you give me a magnet, it's going on my fridge, if you give me a card, it's going on my fridge if I can find a magnet and until the card falls off and I throw it away. I would definitely wait until January to send them, in any case, people get way too much mail this time of year and are overwhelmed, not to mention the increased likelihood of mail getting lost. 
  • This is all great advice! I think I will wait until around mid-january when things calm down but people start putting together their vacation days for the year.

Thanks!!

• I'm glad you asked this question. I'm getting married in June and I was starting to stress that I really needed to hurry up and get my save the dates ordered and mailed out. PP's advice to wait until after the holidays is actually a really good point that I hadn't thought of. Gotta love these discussion boards!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards