Chit Chat

Pennies

edited December 2014 in Chit Chat
We met with a potential officiant on Friday who suggested handing out pebbles to our guests, asking them to make a "wish" for us and having them put the pebble into a jar for us.

Not really my thing but fiance said he would think about it and decide how he felt about it.

At dinner he says to me, "I'd rather have people wish on pennies for us."

Am I the only one who hates holding change in my hand for more than two seconds because of the weird smell it leaves on your hand?

I wouldn't want to hold onto a penny for a whole wedding ceremony, personally.

Anyone else think change smells bad?

ETF: I have no idea what my auto correct is doing sometimes.

Re: Pennies

• Change does smell bad. So then what do you do with it? Carry a jar of pebbles or pennies with you wherever you move?

• Yeah, I get the smell thing. I hate it, too. Could you get all brand new pennies? Do they smell better?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I said the same thing @mikenberger‌! I don't want to mobe that around. And we both agreed we'd provide anything we asked people to wish on so if be tempted to just put the money back in the bank!
  • Not sure @AddieCake‌, but that might be a good compromise. Maybe I can talk him into doing rocks when I present the smell problem to him.

Or maybe he'll just decide he doesn't want to do it- that would be easiest...
  • That doesn't sound like fun to me. I agree change smells so weird. Bleh. And for some reason when I first read the thing about the pebbles I thought you were gonna say the officiant wanted the guests to throw pebbles at you and I was like "holy shit that's an awful idea" (like how people throw rice at the couple, but more painful). But I have kind of a morbid mind sometimes so just disregard that nonsense.
    Hahaha, me too girl. Me too!

• That doesn't sound like fun to me. I agree change smells so weird. Bleh. And for some reason when I first read the thing about the pebbles I thought you were gonna say the officiant wanted the guests to throw pebbles at you and I was like "holy shit that's an awful idea" (like how people throw rice at the couple, but more painful). But I have kind of a morbid mind sometimes so just disregard that nonsense.

Hahaha, me too girl. Me too!

Ha ha! This made me laugh!
  • Haha! I totally thought the pebbles were getting thrown at them too!
  • I like the smell of pennies.  They smell different than other coins, probably cos of the different metal.  They remind me of gambling Christmases when I was a kid (though we still do it now) cos my hands and penny bowl always smelt like them.  Oh nostalgia.  

But if you're not into the idea, don't do it.  I think holding something (pennies, pebbles, whatever) all ceremony would be a little annoying to me.  My hands would get sweaty, I'd want to put it down, etc.  Could you put the pebbles beside the wishing place, so people would take them as they wanted to??  Does that make sense??

• I hate the smell that change leaves on your hands.  I'd be thinking about how soon I could wash my hands the entire time.  If you're not crazy about the idea, then don't do it.  

• I wouldn't do either. It's kind of goofy. I mean, I make a nice wish for the couple, and then put a rock in a jar? And then you have a symbolic jar of rocks? Or smelly pennies?

One more thing you need to get rid of after. Because honestly, you aren't going to put your jar of rocks on a shelf, and smile at it, and say, "Oh, just look at all the lovely things people thought when they dropped their rock."

It makes no sense.

• If there's a fountain at your venue and you give people pennies to make wishes for you, that wouldn't be quite so weird as having a jar of super special pennies.

• No fountain, @lolo883, but, weather permitting, there is a river that we're getting married next to.  If only my environmental side didn't rear it's ugly head, I'd have them toss the pennies in there...

• edited December 2014
    I like the smell of pennies.  They smell different than other coins, probably cos of the different metal.  They remind me of gambling Christmases when I was a kid (though we still do it now) cos my hands and penny bowl always smelt like them.  Oh nostalgia.  

But if you're not into the idea, don't do it.  I think holding something (pennies, pebbles, whatever) all ceremony would be a little annoying to me.  My hands would get sweaty, I'd want to put it down, etc.  Could you put the pebbles beside the wishing place, so people would take them as they wanted to??  Does that make sense??
    I agree- especially on the sweaty hand thing.  I'm not into this idea at all, whether it's with pennies, pebbles, or whatever.  I'm hoping my fiance doesn't think this is a great idea.  We talked about it a bit more last night and he's still non-committal, so I'm hoping he'll decide it's a no once he's marinated on it a bit more.

ETA:  Yes, that makes sense... putting the "container" near the pile of whatever we use could be an option.  I just figured people would write well-wishes in our guest book if we have one.  And I'd rather have that so I actually know what people were wishing for us... a jar of pebbles is just a jar of pebbles...

Also, I think the officiant suggested it as a way to "engage and involve" the people witnessing our marriage.  On some level, it's a nice sentiment, but I'm not really worried about that and it just seems a bit hokey to me.
  • Eh. They're there, witnessing. That's really as "engaged and involved" as they need to be. Homeboy needs to stay off Pinterest.

• Eh. They're there, witnessing. That's really as "engaged and involved" as they need to be. Homeboy needs to stay off Pinterest.
    This. No audience participation, plllllllleeeeaaase. I die a little inside I have to do hokey stuff like that, no matter how much I like the people involved.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Also, I think the officiant suggested it as a way to "engage and involve" the people witnessing our marriage.  On some level, it's a nice sentiment, but I'm not really worried about that and it just seems a bit hokey to me.
    Yeah, if I'm there, I'm involved.  

• People get engaged and involved in weddings by watching them and drinking at them. Done. 
  • edited December 2014
    Are we still not talking about penises?
  • Are we still not talking about penises?
    Penises with my childhood story above would not be good.  

• edited December 2014
    YALLLLLLLL!!! You are ALL missing the FANTASTIC POTENTIAL THIS IDEA HAS. Fair warning OP: I think your FI is brilliant and I may steal his idea. Because for real. It is fantastic. I will elaborate.

I understand the icky of audience participation, but it DOESN'T HAVE TO BE AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION.

At the door, either to the ceremony or to the reception (ETA OOOOOH BY THE GUEST BOOK/CARD BOX Y'ALL I AM STEALING THIS IDEA), have a stack of pennies that you paid for, so no extortion, a jar, and attach to the jar a sign that says "Wishes for the happy couple" (I KNOW WITH THE SIGNS PLEASE DON'T KICK ME OUT YET). They can make a wish if they want, it'll take two seconds, they drop it in the jar and they MOVE AWAY. No real participation if they don't want to, and no interruption of their life.

Then, after the wedding sometime, go to the thrift store and find a table commensurate to the amount of square footage those pennies will take up. A penny is ~20mm in diameter (19.05mm exactly but you want a little wiggle) so if you've got 100 pennies that's, like, 2 square meters. 

COVER THE TABLE IN THE PENNIES and then cover the pennies in clear urethane so that A. Change smell doesn't escape and B. It's all shiny and pretty. 

AND THEN YOU HAVE A CORNER/COFFEE/BISTRO/WHATEVER TABLE MADE OF WISHES.

LOOOOOOOK Y'ALL I promise I'm not crazy!!!!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thought title was penises. Now I'm slightly disappointed. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • If I rub my H's penis, that is NOT a genie that comes out to give me wishes.
    FI has been trying to convince me otherwise for YEARS...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @hellosweetie1015 You sound super extra jazzed about that table but I'm sorry, I'm not feeling it. That would look awkward anywhere in my house, and I don't think anyone would really make a wish, I think they'd just place it from the pile to jar and be like "well that was random".

• Okay, first...  thanks to all the ladies who think this is hokey and "audience" participation is not necessary- AGREED!  I'm there, I'm participating (unless I'm sleeping, which is pretty unlikely- even his 92 year old Grandpa can stay awake for a few hours at a time!).

Second- I have been WAITING for someone to make a penis comment and I'm surprised it took as long as it did!  Thank you, @ClimbingBrideNY for making it happen.

• Glad to be of assistance! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards