Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Post processing Wedding Editors?

Hello all!

I got married in July 8, 2014,  and we had our reception August 2nd.

The thing is...my husband and I dislike our photos so much. They are not at all artistic as we would like. We had a specific mindset, chose a specific location filled with such beauty, and we felt like our photographer who cost us so much money did not deliver or understand or even give us anything we wanted. We wanted scenery in our photos, he shot my husband and I so so so up close with no background, no photos of my dress in its entirety, none of my husband by himself, the ones that are by himself are ridiculously up close. We spent $400 booking this gorgeous place for photos and you cant see anything in it.

Anyways, point is it was a big disappointment that leave me in tears when I think about it. I decided to undergo the task at trying to make them somewhat presentable by working some Photoshop magic because I have a vast background in it and cropping and editing is my forte. I started when we got it months ago, but I have lost my enthusiasm and with the pressure of working fulltime in a new job, moving into our own place, and relatives asking at every turn where the photos are, I have just hated them even more and find no joy working on them.

So that brings me to my topic headline, is there such a thing as post processing editors? Someone who can take photos and work on them? I know the pictures will never look like what I want them to be because you need to start off with a good shot before you can enhance a photo to that beauty it could be....but I am still hoping someone can save them by artfully editing and adding filters, etc.

I hope I make sense and am not rambling. ><

Thank you so much in advance if you can shed some light on this question!!

Re: Post processing Wedding Editors?

• Options
    @photokitty might have some ideas
  • Options
    Thanks @natswild for the shout out.

I had read this one before and unfortunately OP I don't have any great advice, except this...

You are probably being too critical. I get it - honestly, I really, really do. I was not thrilled with my photos. I even talk DH out of being thrilled into seeing all the tiny flaws. I complained to my photog and he politely pointed out that I was being nit-picky. It's something us in the industry have to be, and having a background in PS I'm certain you are no different.

I suggest you share the photos with your family. Let them be excited about them and tell you how beautiful they are. Don't argue with them. Try to see the good in your images in their eyes, instead of seeing them in your eyes.

Filters aren't going to do much. They can give you a "feeling" more than anything else. But if you don't like the images to begin with a filter it's going to change that much. Unless your photos are not properly color corrected, dull or flat - then filters can make a larger impact.

As you said, you can't do much without starting with a good shot - composition being the main issue. If you REALLY wanted something in particular, you could go to the venue and shoot a photo to act as a new background and photoshop yourselves onto it. You will always now it's not a real photo, so it might not make you feel the same way.

Maybe you could show us some examples. I just fear if you pay for pro-PSing that you won't feel like you got your money's worth and only be more disappointed.

PS - I have since come around a am happy with our photos. I knew that it would be tough for me bc I have more own vision and why of shooting. To pay someone so much money to do what I feel like only I can do proper justice is very stressful. But as DH pointed out, I can't take the photos and be in them ;)

GL!! :kiss:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Photographer here -

There are such things as editors, though not too common. You could also contact other photographers to have them work on the images if you like the edits they make.

However, the files that you have are "finished product." The file format is probably jpg and jpg leaves relatively little room to edit (compared to RAW files that cameras produce). With that said, you will not have the flexibly of editing with jpgs. Your photographer will probably say no, but you could ask for the raw files (assuming he/she shot raw... they should have..) and pass those files along to a professional who is does editing in the style you like.
  • Options
    dave1photodave1photo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    here's another thought.  I've done this myself in certain instances.  See if you have photo's from others, family and friends, that you might like.  Then you can use them with the photographers photo's to get an entire album of the day.

In terms of anything that Photoshop or another digital artist can do, you're probably limited there.  One thing to make sure is that the proofs that you're looking at are "full" shots.  Many times I crop down on the people, going from my raw shots to the proofs that I give to the couple.  If your photographer did this, they he still may have more room in the raw image to give you back some of the ambiance of the scene that may still exist on the raw image.

(edited by mod)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards