Chit Chat

Winner, winner, scallop dinner?

Okay, so I invited the ILs over for New Years lunch on Thursday. The plan: scallop amuse-bouche, camembert roast chicken with whatever veg is available on Wednesday, and either granita or a chocolate fountain for dessert (depending on how hot it is and how lazy I am).

I drew up this menu before we went away in November, because I knew if I wanted seafood of any kind, I'd have to get it in the city (frozen, of course, but from a very reputable fishmonger). And when I drew up the menu, I had never cooked scallops before. So I bought extra to try out before the big day, and that's what I did tonight.

I made pan-seared scallops and cappellini in a white wine garlic sauce. OMG you guys, serious foodgasm. Scallops are SO MUCH EASIER than I thought! And the white wine garlic sauce is a-freakin'-mazing and I will be using it on all the foods.

So what's for dinner, TK?
imageDaisypath Friendship tickers

Re: Winner, winner, scallop dinner?

• Fast food most likely.

Your dinner sounds better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sounds yummy.

Dinner for me is whatever DH and/or his staff cooks for family meal at the club.   It various between chicken tenders, left over chicken and other stuff.  There is always a salad, so at the very least I will have that if I don't like the entree.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Either baked lemon pepper chicken or un-stuffed stuffed peppers.  I can't actually be bothered to stuff them and bak them, so the sauce just gets dumped overtop the peppers.  But slow down!!  I just finished breakfast!!  ;)

• That sounds heavenly!! I've always been too scared to make scallops too; maybe I will try to make them soon!

It's just me tonight because BF doesn't get back from visiting his relatives till tomorrow (I had to come back to work today- but turns out no one's around anyway...). So I think I'll make some salmon I have left, wild rice and some brussel sprouts! I'm a pescetarian and BF gets really sick of seafood because I make it all the time, haha, so I'll make this salmon while he's away.

Formerly martha1818

• I am drooling over here.

H is making me dinner tonight, so it will be a surprise. I am usually (always) the one who cooks because I love it so much. It will be a nice treat to have dinner waiting for me when I get home.

Tomorrow my bff is coming over for a girl's night while H plays poker with some of his buddies. I am planning on making chicken caprese for us and a nice white wine.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Last night's menu was nachos at a sports bar...well, because STEELERS FOOTBALL!

Tonight's menu will most likely be something easy like tacos because...well, stupid work deadline. :-( (aka not nearly as cool of an excuse as Steelers football!)
  • larrygaga said:
    Fast food most likely. Your dinner sounds better.
    On that subject, what's your favourite fast food? 

I'm a KFC girl all the way, but I prefer the burgers to the pieces. Apparently KFC in the US doesn't do burgers, so I'm going to miss that a lot when we eventually move out there. DH is a pizza person.
    lyndausvi said:
    Sounds yummy.

Dinner for me is whatever DH and/or his staff cooks for family meal at the club.   It various between chicken tenders, left over chicken and other stuff.  There is always a salad, so at the very least I will have that if I don't like the entree.
    Mmmm chicken tenders. 

So, um... stupid question, but do you cook? I ask because I kinda feel like as much as I enjoy cooking, I probably wouldn't cook at all if I had the option not to.
  • I think I'm doing tacos tonight as well. Something easy. 
  • larrygaga said:
    Fast food most likely. Your dinner sounds better.

I'm a KFC girl all the way, but I prefer the burgers to the pieces. Apparently KFC in the US doesn't do burgers, so I'm going to miss that a lot when we eventually move out there. DH is a pizza person.
    lyndausvi said:
    Sounds yummy.

Mmmm chicken tenders. 

So, um... stupid question, but do you cook? I ask because I kinda feel like as much as I enjoy cooking, I probably wouldn't cook at all if I had the option not to.
    Well I do have to eat and DH is at work all the time, so yes I do cook for myself.   I rarely cook for DH though.

Last week and this week I'm working at the club.  They provide a family meal before dinner service for the staff which DH or his staff cooks.    So that is how I'm getting him to cook for me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    abbyj700 said:
    Last night's menu was nachos at a sports bar...well, because STEELERS FOOTBALL!

Tonight's menu will most likely be something easy like tacos because...well, stupid work deadline. :-( (aka not nearly as cool of an excuse as Steelers football!)
    I have been craving a huge plate of nachos lately.  Really, I just want carbs and melted cheese

ETA - spelling

• Wow, time zones! I was not expecting so many responses so quickly!

@lyndausvi - That makes sense!

@lovegood90 - They're really easy, just follow this (clicky). I was always really scared of cooking them because they're not exactly cheap, but I'm trying this new thing where I don't let fear and anxiety rule my life anymore. So far it's working out pretty well! :)

And note to self: just because you've already eaten doesn't mean reading food threads is a good idea! You guys are making me hungry all over again!

• larrygaga said:

Fast food most likely.

Your dinner sounds better.

lyndausvi said:

Sounds yummy.

Mmmm chicken tenders. 

Taco Bell and dominoes. FI has celiacs and so that's all I've ever really eaten. They both have options for him. I rarely get fast food when he's not around. I worked at McDonald's for years and I hate it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• YUM! I love scallops but I never buy them because the jumbo ones are really expensive, even in my high seafood area of living. and DH doesn't like them but maybe I'll have to make myself some one night and he can eat something I don't like, like beans & hot dogs.

Tonight my bestie is here from NYC so we're going to the mall and I'm hitting up the sushi place in the mall.

• Well now I want scallops. I usually just put them in the grill pan with some butter. MMM-MMMMMMM!

I think we're going to Buffalo Wild Wings tonight. I'm gonna have a burger.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Probably take out of some sort, because i'm already feeling lazy at 3 pm. But I have a dilemma, We already had both chinese and pizza/wings this weekend (because, LAZY), so I am sort of out of take out options. Maybe I will do the Chili's curbside thing or something.

P.S. KFC has burgers? WUT?
  • @beethery What?! Their honey bbq wings are the best- why would you get a burger? lol

And does anyone know if I should get a stainless steel skillet like the recipe calls for? I mean, would it be useful for other recipes too? I only have 2 skillets and they are both non-stick teflon...I feel like I should own a stainless or cast iron one.....?

• I love my stainless steel skillet - I get way better sear on meat with it than with non-stick. I also own several different cast iron pans because they are awesome for browning, then sticking straight into the oven. For things that have a long cook-time like braising, cast iron keeps the heat distribution in the pan even so you don't end up with hot spots.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• jenna8984 said:

@beethery What?! Their honey bbq wings are the best- why would you get a burger? lol

And does anyone know if I should get a stainless steel skillet like the recipe calls for? I mean, would it be useful for other recipes too? I only have 2 skillets and they are both non-stick teflon...I feel like I should own a stainless or cast iron one.....?

I am a bad person and don't care about chicken wings lol
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:

@beethery What?! Their honey bbq wings are the best- why would you get a burger? lol

I only eat appetizers from BWW (Fried pickles, buffalo chips, and cheese nuggets... Mmmmm)
  • Dammit now I need scallops. Will probably just have frozen vegetables or something similarly lame. H is gone helping BIL drywall his new house, and I had pizza earlier after helping my sister move.

• Dammit now I need scallops. Will probably just have frozen vegetables or something similarly lame. H is gone helping BIL drywall his new house, and I had pizza earlier after helping my sister move.
    Come over and I'll make stir-fry with scallops. It's super yummy.
    ~*~*~*~*~

Deal.

• beethery said:

haha same with husband- he orders the boneless kind which isn't even a wing (it pisses me off that they call it that) because he likes the breading. He says real wings are just skin and I'm like UM YEAAA- the best part!!!

Deal.
    This is one of my favorite quick meals to make when DH is away (he doesn't eat seafood).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• jenna8984 said:

Get Calphalon Unison. You can get a nice sear, they're nonstick, and can go right into the oven.

• I also want scallops now because that that sounds delicious! ... and @kytchynwitche , I've never heard of a KFC burger, what does it taste like??

FI made dinner for us tonight: turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes, and salad.  It was his first time making meatloaf and it was pretty good.
  • I forgot to defrost the chicken intended for tonight. I have various leftovers in the fridge so I might just tell everyone to fend for themselves.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ugh, damn H and his practicality. He wont let me get anymore takeout until the leftovers are gone. I DON'T WANT LEFTOVER PIZZA.
  • I had a cheese quesadilla and cucumber spears chased by some haggen-daz mango sorbet.  YUMM.
    Anniversary

• Leftovers. A piece of breakfast sausage, a couple spoonfuls of egg salad, a couple of crackers with cheese spread, half an apple, and a piece of fudge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards