Chit Chat

Winner, winner, scallop dinner?

2»

Re: Winner, winner, scallop dinner?

• I'm about to go make up some beef stir-fry with leftover steak from this weekend, but I really want scallops instead. :(
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Ditto @lolo883 - Calphalon Unison pans are amazing. I have an 8 inch pan and a 10 inch pan and they're the best. I got them for Christmas years ago and it was the best gift ever.

My mom made scallops for Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas, indeed!
  • GUYS. I love dinner at my Greek home (besties house). She emerged from the fridge with a SIX POUND BLOCK OF FETA.

• Good morning ladies (and any lurking gents)!

For those who were asking, here's the KFC South Africa menu as it is now (clicky). Aside from the "dunked wings" and "festive bucket", which are seasonal, the menu is more or less the same as it has been for as long as I can remember. Certainly the burgers have, in one incarnation or another, been available all my life. Which is why I was totally gobsmacked when my (US-based) BFF told me that KFC over there doesn't have burgers.

Usually I have a "colonel burger" (no tomato because I'm allergic, extra cheese because everything's better with cheese), which is described thus:
    A tender and tasty marinated fillet cooked golden-brown, topped with fresh lettuce, a slice of tomato and Colonel dressing on a burger bun. 

The "colonel dressing" is basically mayo, which I realise many Knotties dislike. But it's a tasty burger and I nom it whenever I can. The reason I like the burgers so much is this: I love the TASTE of fried chicken, but the pieces are always so greasy/oily, and with the burger at least I can kid myself that I'm eating veggies (lettuce).

Sometimes I'll have a "hawaiian burger" which is basically the same but with pineapple and cheese, or a "tower burger" which is a colonel with a hashbrown and cheese, but mostly it's the colonel for me.

I don't really care for the "zinger" spices, and I have yet to try a "crunch" or "double crunch" burger because I don't know what's in their "spicy sauce". The dunked wings are amazing though. I really shouldn't have them because of reflux issues, but they're just so good, and they're usually only available for 2-3 months before they're off the menu again.

Also, the "twisters" are pretty good. But I can't reliably get them with no tomato, so the only one I can safely order is the "hawaiian" which comes standard no tomato. I do tend to order more twisters in summer and more burgers in winter.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Good morning ladies (and any lurking gents)!

For those who were asking, here's the KFC South Africa menu as it is now (clicky). Aside from the "dunked wings" and "festive bucket", which are seasonal, the menu is more or less the same as it has been for as long as I can remember. Certainly the burgers have, in one incarnation or another, been available all my life. Which is why I was totally gobsmacked when my (US-based) BFF told me that KFC over there doesn't have burgers.

Usually I have a "colonel burger" (no tomato because I'm allergic, extra cheese because everything's better with cheese), which is described thus:
    A tender and tasty marinated fillet cooked golden-brown, topped with fresh lettuce, a slice of tomato and Colonel dressing on a burger bun. 

The "colonel dressing" is basically mayo, which I realise many Knotties dislike. But it's a tasty burger and I nom it whenever I can. The reason I like the burgers so much is this: I love the TASTE of fried chicken, but the pieces are always so greasy/oily, and with the burger at least I can kid myself that I'm eating veggies (lettuce).

Sometimes I'll have a "hawaiian burger" which is basically the same but with pineapple and cheese, or a "tower burger" which is a colonel with a hashbrown and cheese, but mostly it's the colonel for me.

I don't really care for the "zinger" spices, and I have yet to try a "crunch" or "double crunch" burger because I don't know what's in their "spicy sauce". The dunked wings are amazing though. I really shouldn't have them because of reflux issues, but they're just so good, and they're usually only available for 2-3 months before they're off the menu again.

Also, the "twisters" are pretty good. But I can't reliably get them with no tomato, so the only one I can safely order is the "hawaiian" which comes standard no tomato. I do tend to order more twisters in summer and more burgers in winter.
    Wait so is it a beef burger or a chicken burger?

I used to love their Twisters. And their pepper mayo dressing is way better than plain mayo. I convince myself that it's not just mayo so I allow myself to like it. Because pepper.

•  

I used to love their Twisters. And their pepper mayo dressing is way better than plain mayo. I convince myself that it's not just mayo so I allow myself to like it. Because pepper.

I looked at the KFC website she posted, it's just a chicken sandwich. Not sure why they call it a burger since we just call it a chicken sandwich lol

• jenna8984 said:

I looked at the KFC website she posted, it's just a chicken sandwich. Not sure why they call it a burger since we just call it a chicken sandwich lol
    Hahaha, I figured this too. KFC here definitely has chicken sandwiches.
  • jenna8984 said:

I think maybe it's just semantics? I can't claim to have been everywhere in SA, but I think the general consensus here is bun = burger, bread = sandwich? Maybe. I dunno. Anyhow, I am now much happier about the prospect of US KFC!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • jenna8984 said:

I think maybe it's just semantics? I can't claim to have been everywhere in SA, but I think the general consensus here is bun = burger, bread = sandwich? Maybe. I dunno. Anyhow, I am now much happier about the prospect of US KFC!
    Eh, makes sense. In the US (or at least places I've lived), beef patty = burger, everything else = sandwich.
  • I have never had one, but this thread is making me want a double down. Or a Famous Bowl.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    I have never had one, but this thread is making me want a double down. Or a Famous Bowl.

H regularly eats both. During the same meal. But, this is also the man who can scarf down an entire 16 ox package of oreos in one sitting, and does so multiple nights per week. How he isn't obese and doesn't have diabetes is unfathomable to me.
  •  
    Eh, makes sense. In the US (or at least places I've lived), beef patty = burger, everything else = sandwich.

Or even turkey burger or chicken burger the meat is ground up into a patty so that it looks like a beef burger. It's not just a solid chicken breast.

But yea....I want KFC now as well

• beethery said:
    I have never had one, but this thread is making me want a double down. Or a Famous Bowl.

H regularly eats both. During the same meal. But, this is also the man who can scarf down an entire 16 ox package of oreos in one sitting, and does so multiple nights per week. How he isn't obese and doesn't have diabetes is unfathomable to me.
    I wish my metabolism allowed that. My appetite could handle that, my fat layer and joints could not.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• jenna8984 said: ashley8918 said: KytchynWitche said:  
    I think maybe it's just semantics? I can't claim to have been everywhere in SA, but I think the general consensus here is bun = burger, bread = sandwich? Maybe. I dunno. Anyhow, I am now much happier about the prospect of US KFC! Eh, makes sense. In the US (or at least places I've lived), beef patty = burger, everything else = sandwich. Or even turkey burger or chicken burger the meat is ground up into a patty so that it looks like a beef burger. It's not just a solid chicken breast. But yea....I want KFC now as well
    Ah, good point. Revised:
    ground up meat stuffs (or fake meat stuffs for we vegetarians) formed into a patty = burger. Wow, that sounds really fucking gross.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards