Just Engaged and Proposals

How many venues did you visit?

So, how many venues did you go visit before you knew you found "the one"?

Re: How many venues did you visit?

• H and I visited 6. We were planning a DW and did a lot of research online and then visited 6. We knew the third one was our favorite. Then we cancelled the DW all together and booked a place without visiting - based only on reviews, pictures and reputation. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    My parents visited venues for us first (we were 6 hours away, and I wanted to make decisions quickly.) They visited... I think 3 or 4, and drove by another 3 or so. They knocked a bunch off of the list for me (too small, wouldn't do brunch, etc.) and said that they think it would be between two venues.

Then FI and I found a weekend where we could come home. We visited 4 places in one day (including the 2 places my parents had kept on the initial list.) One of them wouldn't do a morning/ afternoon wedding, one felt a touch run down, and then it was between the two my parents had originally kept on the list. One was darker than I had envisioned (plus more expensive), though it was very elegant. I think my dad liked this one more. But, fiance compared it to Betty Draper's scary house (from Mad Men), and that was that. No going back from Betty's haunted house.

The  final one seemed about right.  Not QUITE perfect (the outside area where we will probably have the ceremony is a touch too manicured for my tastes) but it was close to perfect, and FI liked it right away. Besides the look of the place, the venue was very willing to accommodate what I wanted done (brunch food, particular entree items, etc) and gave us a good price.
  • We seriously looked into pricing for 5 venues and ended up seeing 4 (one of which is the country club that FI belongs to, so we didn't need to tour the space).

The spaces that we saw in person were all different though- one hotel, one country club, an urban setting/skyscraper, and a place that only does weddings.

The only thing that made our decision difficult was how good of a deal we could have had at FI's CC for being a member. We really fell in love with the view from the urban venue though so that's what we're going with. I don't care for outdoor weddings either, and if we'd done the CC, it would've been outdoors. We'll probably have our rehearsal dinner there though.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• H and I only visited 2.  The first was way too freaking fancy.  I mean they said we could have our ceremony in a room completely made of marble.  Not our thing.  The second was perfect and we reserved it almost as soon as we walked in.

BUT I did research about 30 some odd venues before we ever visited any in person.

• Ceremony venue was the first, stumbled on it on a trip last month. Still working on reception since it's not local.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I researched several in our area (we're fortunate to live in a California wine region) so we had a good idea of which places to physically go see. We got price quotes/estimates from 5, had a tour with 3, and walked through one on our own. We nearly went with our first choice, but ended up going with our third since it offers a much nicer indoor ceremony site--we're getting married in November and it tends to rain around that time of year when we're not in a drought.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We only visited 1 for our ceremony venue since my parents watned us to get married in a church and FI and I aren't religious. I had studied this 1 church in my architecture class that I loved and it was near where we live so that was it for us. We visited 1 for the reception venue too. I had appointments for 2 venues that were within our budget. I fell in love with the first venue we visited and it had a better package and was easily in our budget! I ended up cancelling the appointment I had with the other venue since the other venue had called to tell me the price increased and was actually kind of rude about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ChristinaS85ChristinaS85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014
    We looked at several venues online.  We only looked at one in real life.  Initially, he wanted to get married down by the riverfront, but the second he saw our venue, he immediately changed his mind.  The place we picked allowed us to have both our ceremony and reception there.  By the riverfront?  Not so much.
  • We visited 3.  The first was over the top, the second- horrible and the third. just what we were looking for.  I have friends that visited 10+ though.
  • Actually just one! I fell in love with our venue right away, and H had been there many times. We had our ceremony and reception there. 
  • Just one. It was very important to H to get married at the golf club his grandpa has belonged to forever - they've had other family weddings there, Father's Day and Thanksgiving dinner every year, etc., and he knew we'd have great service. I looked into a few places online just on the off-chance the prices were way beyond what we could afford, but it worked out perfectly.

• Visited 4 with my mom but fell in love with the 2nd one.  Went back with my FI and dad and once we showed them that one, they loved it too

• We visited three. The first one I thought was going to be it, but there wasn't a good ceremony space. The second was not good. The third was perfect. We walked down the back lawn towards the water and I got head-to-toe goosebumps and just knew it was perfect.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• we looked at 4 an hour away but decided against those for that reason alone. looked at one locally but still up in the air. FI wanted to look at the one locally because he use to work at the place while he was taking some college classes,.
  • I can't even fathom how many venues I looked at online. I could view some wedding info on websites and other times I had to request information.
    Ultimately, we visited four places over the span of a month, all that did wedding packages including meals and cake and whatnot. 
    It came down to crunching  out the numbers and literally comparing the meals offered, course by course, in order to make a decision. 

• Just 1!  I did a ton of online reseach before hand and knew that is where i wanted to have it.  I had already been to wedding at some the more popular locations in my area and knew I didn't want it to have it at any of them..not that anythign was wrong with them, i just didnt want the typical banquet hall type venue so I didn't have to both with any of them.  

• We visited two. We had a requirement that we had to be able to bring in our homebrew beer so that greatly limited our selection. Luckily, the winery was perfect for us!

• FI and I looked online extensively. His best friend got married 4 months before we got engaged, so he was able to tell us which places to not even bother looking at (a few places needed a lot of updating- ugly carpeting, wallpaper, etc.). The first place we went to visit in person, we ended up booking!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't visit any in person since we had a DW. We relied on pictures and reviews from other Knotties.

We researched 8-10, seriously considered 4-6, and then narrowed it down to 2-3 once we had firm prices from everyone. So, if we'd actually gone to see the venues, I'd say 2-3.
  • I am totally NOT one to do this, but I booked the first venue FI & I looked at together! I am pretty indecisive when it comes to these things, but luckily I had been to so many weddings in 2014 that I had seen almost every venue in our area lol! We visited the space twice, and I booked it as soon as I found out my date was available!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We visited 3. The first was eh, and didn't have a good ceremony space, and we've been waffling between the next 2 for the last month - they're both really lovely! We've finally made a decision, though, and are hoping everything is still available from when we spoke.
  • None actually.

We lived OOT and I did a lot of research online.  My parents (who were paying and lived 3 hours aways) looked at 2 we were interested in and then put down a deposit on one of those.  We saw the places a few months after the deposit was made.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We visited 3 venues
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    I am sure we visited a dozen or close to it. We did a lot of inquiries online. In the end we decided to go with a venue that we can afford rather than a venue with the "bells and whistles"
  • Just curious what the typical deposit was for your reception. Want to know what to expect before setting up meetings. Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I checked out just one venue and it's the most logical place as it is a resort and hotel and we will have the ceremony and reception there. Everyone will be an oot guest. Our deposit is $1000.
  • I was fortunate enough to have that magical "Fairytale Bride Moment."

We were at the Festival of Lights in downtown Riverside. After having a great time, we were walking through downtown to get back to my car and BOOM, there it was. Riverside has a few old mission and gothic style churches and we just so happened to walk by one that looked like something out of a magazine. We just recently took a tour and it was everything I had dreamed of since I was 12. Gothic style designs, huge decorative pillar, long red carpeted isles with classic textile drapes hanging over the seating.

Too magical.

Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  • Researched literally every place possible in town (it's not that big of a town! haha). Visited the top 3 and picked one of those. :)
  • We did a lot of inquiries online especially about price point so we wouldn't walk into anywhere too expensive. We visited around 4 of them. The deposit for our frontrunner is $2,000.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We knew we wanted an outdoor wedding, and there is a nearby beautiful arboretum that his family has been going to for years. We picked our date (summer solstice), I said hey, would't the Arboretum be awesome? He agreed. We looked at their website, decided to have a small garden wedding there and then a large casual party later in the year, and they had our date available with the garden and room we wanted. So really, although we had been there on Mother's day before he proposed, we visited no venues and picked a spot we knew was beautiful. 

I know this is probably super uncommon, but it worked for us and saved us a lot of time and stress.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards