Chit Chat

Re: Interesting Read Regarding Marriage, Religion, and Government

• Its hard for me to think of marriage as a religious institution. I think of it as a legal contract.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Marriage is a legal contract in most of the world.  It is only the Catholic church that has the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.  Protestant marriages are legal marriages that ask for the blessing of God, but they are not one of the three sacraments recognized by protestant churches.
    Many churches are moving towards blessing same sex marriages.  I think this will happen with some churches, and not with others.
    A courthouse marriage is no different than a protestant church marriage.  Both are legal, and God is in the courthouse, too!
    @wrigleyville, you sound bitter.  What church were you affiliated with and why did you leave?  I am so sorry.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Marriage is a legal contract in most of the world.  It is only the Catholic church that has the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.  Protestant marriages are legal marriages that ask for the blessing of God, but they are not one of the three sacraments recognized by protestant churches.
    Many churches are moving towards blessing same sex marriages.  I think this will happen with some churches, and not with others.
    A courthouse marriage is no different than a protestant church marriage.  Both are legal, and God is in the courthouse, too!
    @wrigleyville, you sound bitter.  What church were you affiliated with and why did you leave?  I am so sorry.
    The Catholic Church. I left because I don't agree with their teachings, and I don't believe in God.

I'm not bitter at all. I'm happy.
    Glad to hear you aren't bitter.  America is great!  Plenty of choices.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Whatever. If they want to lose more followers and a LOT of revenue (how many people- even deeply religious ones- will have the cash to fork over for a ceremony that isn't legal?) to better stomp their feet and look like pouty children over gay marriage, fine by me. Doesn't affect me at all, seeing as I already don't have faith / am against faiths that don't recognize the LGBTQ population /am married / would ever have considered dropping the money for a full religious ceremony.

I think many churches that go through with this are going to see a lot of their younger church members leaving and getting married in other parishes, if not converting completely to another sect.

I do know that the United Methodist church has been debating this for some time, and the question will come up at the next conference.  There is a big push to recognize gay marriage.  We already accept gays as church members without prejudice.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I seriously don't get the resentment. What is wrong with separating the legal aspect of marriage from any religious aspect?
  • I seriously don't get the resentment. What is wrong with separating the legal aspect of marriage from any religious aspect?
    A lot of European countries already separate them.  Although it's the gov't who requires the separation not the clergy.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

I seriously don't get the resentment. What is wrong with separating the legal aspect of marriage from any religious aspect?

A lot of European countries already separate them.  Although it's the gov't who requires the separation not the clergy.  

Yeah, I see your point. I thought some of y'all would like it because it the church making a separation from the state. This would actually place more of a burden on couples seeking to have their marriage recognized by their church.
  • Whatever. If they want to lose more followers and a LOT of revenue (how many people- even deeply religious ones- will have the cash to fork over for a ceremony that isn't legal?) to better stomp their feet and look like pouty children over gay marriage, fine by me. Doesn't affect me at all, seeing as I already don't have faith / am against faiths that don't recognize the LGBTQ population /am married / would ever have considered dropping the money for a full religious ceremony.

I think many churches that go through with this are going to see a lot of their younger church members leaving and getting married in other parishes, if not converting completely to another sect.

For me personally, I'd happily jump through hoops to make my marriage recognized by my church.
  • CMGragain said:

Whatever. If they want to lose more followers and a LOT of revenue (how many people- even deeply religious ones- will have the cash to fork over for a ceremony that isn't legal?) to better stomp their feet and look like pouty children over gay marriage, fine by me. Doesn't affect me at all, seeing as I already don't have faith / am against faiths that don't recognize the LGBTQ population /am married / would ever have considered dropping the money for a full religious ceremony.

I do know that the United Methodist church has been debating this for some time, and the question will come up at the next conference.  There is a big push to recognize gay marriage.  We already accept gays as church members without prejudice.

How nice we can belong to the church. But they aren't sure if we should be allowed to be married in the same church we're members of. A place we worship in. Well at least we're allowed to show up on Sundays without being told we're gonna burn.
  • That's okay, more people on the good side!

There are lots of {insert religious leader here} who support gay marriage. How boring would humans be if we never progressed!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't mean this to be snarky or condescending. How many of you would you would have been affected if this became a reality?
  • edited June 2015
  • @pinkrevenge‌ , we most likely run in different circles. The friends I know who married in the church would have had it no other way.
  • edited June 2015

• I'm trying to reply to holyguacamole, but TK is glitching.

Here's the thing. It's not about you or me. It's about everybody. Isn't that what Jesus teaches?

Just because something doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean I don't care about it. It obviously affects other people, so yeah... I care.
    I was simply curious if it would have directly affected anyone in this discussion. I never said that you weren't allowed to care.
  • edited June 2015
  • @holyguacamole79‌ do you honestly not see what a bad decision this would be for churches? Church attendance is at an all time low across the country. People are leaving religious organizations in record numbers. Three Christian schools in my area have had to close in the past two years because of low enrollment and they couldn't afford to keep there doors open. I am in freaking Kentucky and enrollment of Christian schools is low. If it is that low heere imagine how it must be in the rest of the country. If religion in this country wants to survive it needs to be more inclusive not less.
  • While I do not condone the reasons (actually the reason is pretty stupid), fact is people all over Europe and other countires already have to have to 2 ceremonies if they want to have religious ceremony.   It's just what they do.     Again it's the gov't that requires it, not the religion. 

So initially it might be an issue for some, but a true Catholic will still get married in the church.

It will keep those who are not religious from just shopping around for the prettiest church from doing that anymore. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Fwiw, this article was shared by a religion scholar who is an agnostic lesbian. She made the comment that ministers / priests should not be administering the state's work anyway. I'm not so bold to think that everyone would share her beliefs, but she shares a lot of beliefs y'all espouse, so I thought the community would appreciate it. Thanks for the perspective.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards